2020/21 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
A piece in the athletic about why we seem so slow has some figures for all our players' top speeds in sprints. Davies is the slowest out of them all.

A piece in the athletic about why we seem so slow has some figures for all our players' top speeds in sprints. Davies is the slowest out of them all.
I'm always suspicious of those top speeds in sprints figures. Wasn't a 30+ year old Phil Jagielka the 'fastest' man in the PL one year?

He was really quick though.
I think those stats are very much dependent on context. Some players are fast over relatively long distances, so over very short ones (Bob Latchford was generally thought to be slow, but was supposedly very fast over five yards, which meant he got to th cross in te box quicker than the defenders did! All about context, I for example whould destroy Jamie Vardy getting to the last hobnob on the plate!

Interesting subject though. Just off the top off my head who can i recall was really slow. James beattie, was he slow or looked slow. Arteta? Sure there are many.

I think those stats are very much dependent on context. Some players are fast over relatively long distances, so over very short ones (Bob Latchford was generally thought to be slow, but was supposedly very fast over five yards, which meant he got to th cross in te box quicker than the defenders did! All about context, I for example whould destroy Jamie Vardy getting to the last hobnob on the plate!

Yeh I mean the top speeds are all acceleration over X yard I think but I believe the general consensus was that Jags was quick.

I'm always suspicious of those top speeds in sprints figures. Wasn't a 30+ year old Phil Jagielka the 'fastest' man in the PL one year?
Speed of thought much more important,you could be Usain Bolt but if you give a half rapid player a few yards of space and a start the outcome is usually predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.