2020/21 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's grown on me as a player. Always liked him as a lad, no doubting he's a top fella but he hasn't shone like he looked like he could have. That said, he does a lot of the stuff that goes un-noticed but is absolutely necessary. Dare I say it a bit like henderson for the other lot. Rarely gets man of the match but they miss him when he's not there. He isn't a starter with a fully fit squad right now but this summer and how he develops going into next year is massive. The potential is still there for him to step up and be a future captain. Let's hope he fulfils it. I'd hate to see him playing for anyone else.

He also said that Davies was still a very young player with time to improve.

I think it was probably a realistic and fair assessment of the player.

I think it may be a challenge to Tom Davies. Carlo also said Tom Davies knows of what Carlo thinks of where he is now and where he needs to be.
Yeah as I said, I'm sure he didn't mean it the way it sounded, but that is effectively what he said. I'm not saying it to laugh at Davies, I'm saying the answer in itself was funny.

Have you seen the quote? One of the biggest backhanded compliments i've ever seen. He basically says he wasn't very good, but tried hard, and so Davies reminds him of himself, but although he wasn't very good, he was better than Davies.

I'm not saying that to mock Davies either, that was genuinely how he answered the question. Sure he didn't mean it quite the way it sounded but it came across as brutal.
Ancelotti was being modest as always, he was one of the best CM's in the world as a player.

Osman was no iniesta but he was a far better player than Davies.
Yeah, Osman was talented. He might have got a couple of more England caps if David Silva had come along and popularised having smaller, more technical players in the middle a few years earlier.

Davies, on the other hand, doesn't really seem to have anything to his game whatsoever.

The amount of stick he got during his Everton career was quite frankly shocking. Could argue he was technically the best player at the club. Other argument was the premier league was to physical and to quick for him.
We finished 5th-7th the majority of his career here I would say he held his own against most wouldn't you. Absolute myth this pace and power angle people keep coming out with.

Davies, on the other hand, doesn't really seem to have anything to his game whatsoever.

The issue for me has always been the lack of any exceptional skill, or that shows the potential to be exceptional.

At the end of the day, you generally put players on the pitch at this level because they do something really, really well and you don't have to give up much, if anything, against the baseline for the position to get it. A player like Messi that can do almost everything (except head the ball) you could possibly want at the position is exceedingly rare.

Davies doesn't have any such exceptional skill. It makes sense to play someone like that at DM, which is the position where you can most get away with just being solid, but to play that position at a world-class level you need to be able to stop world-class attackers from getting the space needed to burn you from range. He currently can't do that.

If he can learn that skill, we're on to something. It seems possible to do - Schweinsteiger was an AM his whole career yet somehow played about the most flawless 120 minutes of get-your-kit-dirty football I've ever seen to turn Messi off in a World Cup final. That said, I've seen Schweinsteiger warm up in person up close, and he was on this whole different level of technical ability along with the Iniestas of the world.

I'm not going to sell Davies short anymore, because I never would have seen him elevating more or less across the board to be solid, but I do think that developing elite lockdown skill may be a bit of a stretch.

Regardless, he can soak minutes against lesser teams and that is valuable in and of itself. You need rotation guys, as the problem with trying to have 20+ alpha dog outfield players is that alpha dogs that don't get minutes can turn into problems quickly.

We finished 5th-7th the majority of his career here I would say he held his own against most wouldn't you. Absolute myth this pace and power angle people keep coming out with.

Personaly no i didnt think it was a big factor. I meant the argument throughout his time at Everton was that. It was always thrown at him.

That fact that you think that shows we have a long way to go ,he was OK but not up to the standard we need .
Well exactly, it does show how poor they all are but No Osman was a good player, maybe not good enough to take us to the very top because hell we had a good side and they kept falling short but for technique and heart, movement and ability to receive the ball in tight spaces is way ahead of the current lot, Allan aside.

Honestly ten times the player Gomes is. Madness this. Absolute madness that he's getting no game time.

Carlo must be senile, chasing a game....brings on Delph... Christ.

He should feel hard done by that he hasn't at the very least come on for Gomes tonight. He's a better player than Delph, weird that he's been dropped when he found some good form.

Status
Not open for further replies.