Match Thread Crystal Palace v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As regards 'deliberate' or not, I clearly remember a penalty being given against Johnny Fullam of Shamrock Rovers in the late 70s, when the ball bounced up awkwardly off a bone hard pitch and struck his upper arm. No attempt to play it with his arm.

Woy and the 'pundits' are a bit over the top on this, probably because it is Everton. If that had been the RS, Ward would probably have been red carded.

It's the 2nd or 3rd instance already this season. Maybe the previous instances got as much coverage it's just we only notice it now because it's focusing on our team, i dunno. As people have said, palace got a similar call last week, it's going to be an issue all season. What didn't help was aluko in the press box getting the rules wrong saying dcl was even more of a pen.

As regards 'deliberate' or not, I clearly remember a penalty being given against Johnny Fullam of Shamrock Rovers in the late 70s, when the ball bounced up awkwardly off a bone hard pitch and struck his upper arm. No attempt to play it with his arm.

Woy and the 'pundits' are a bit over the top on this, probably because it is Everton. If that had been the RS, Ward would probably have been red carded.

I'll be honest mate its an absolute awful rule and I would have been fuming had that been given against us.

At one point it will be this season or next and I still wont agree with it nor that daft offside rule that done us against Utd last season because Siggurdsson was sat on his arse.

A very tough game. We showed a lot of grit that we wouldn't have shown last season. Thanks to Carlo and some great signings.
I know it is very early to say but thought our youngsters Nkoukou and Gordon would have been a great outlet today late on to hit Palace on the break. They look a fantastic link on the left and would be great to see them as an option on the bench for the first team.
Fair dos to Palace who look a quality side this season. I have often thought Roy Hodgson as a woolly manager but must admit that he has put together a decent unit at Palace and I for one would have been more than pissed off if we lost the game to a penalty decision like the one in this game. Thought his comments about the new rules on handball were brilliant and showed I have under rated the mans bottle.
Great to see us grind out a win as the other games have oozed class in dominating opponents so far.
Onwards and upwards. Think today was a good marker for team spirit. Have to win some games in the trenches. COYB. Haven't felt this excited about our games in years. Cannot wait to to see the rest of the squad again in action v West Ham.
I was surprised and disappointed that Gordon wasn't on the bench

Brighton game will be very tough IMO

Not sure what Simon Burnton's allegiance is, but he was on a podcast this week blaming us (i.e. the club) for Pickford now being a liability. He said he was so good at Sunderland because he was allowed to distribute the ball quickly to the man up top (Defoe) and now we don't let him do that we've negated his strength and turned him into a shell of the goalkeeper he used to be lol
What an absurd notion. First, Anyone whose strength is distribution is not a goalkeeper. second, how would him not being able to distribute the ball as he likes make him forget the basics of goalkeeping?

I was surprised and disappointed that Gordon wasn't on the bench
Yep and Nkounkou, how do you force your way in if being the best player on the pitch in some games can't get you a place. we know better players are ahead of them in the first eleven but they should both be on the bench. Tough with only 7 subs.

How would people feel if the squad(24) was allowed on the bench but still only allowed 3 subs, gives more flexibility.

Yep and Nkounkou, how do you force your way in if being the best player on the pitch in some games can't get you a place. we know better players are ahead of them in the first eleven but they should both be on the bench. Tough with only 7 subs.

How would people feel if the squad(24) was allowed on the bench but still only allowed 3 subs, gives more flexibility.
I can't see a good reason not to allow an unlimited list of possible subs from which you can introduce 3 plus a goalie if necessary

The rules around handball now are impossible to judge in real time. As others have said we would be fuming had it been given against us but we have to make the most of each and every opportunity. Only with the use of VAR is it possible to decide and even then it seems very hard for refs to make a decision. I pity the poor blokes on the parks as they have no hope and players etc will go on at them . For that reason I am very glad I am no longer an active ref.

Seen Roy whinging after the game. Not being funny but that was a penalty. Ruining football lol.

I think the rules do need changing though mate - anything not deliberate for me shouldn't be penalised - like that goal against Utd getting chalked off because Siggurdsson was sat on the floor - whats he meant to do!

I think the rules do need changing though mate - anything not deliberate for me shouldn't be penalised - like that goal against Utd getting chalked off because Siggurdsson was sat on the floor - whats he meant to do!
The rules do need changing. But the ball hitting your hand is the main thing, and digne headed the ball into the line of richy, but it changed direction completely via hitting the defenders hand. For me there isn't many more nailed on penalties other than snapping somebody.

The siggy one was extremely stupid. But the rules do suggest anyone impeding the vision of the goalkeeper from an offside position can be penalised as such.

Just watched the game back on Prime.

Thought first half MOTM for me was gonna be between Gomes and Keane but giving it to Andre as Keane was at fault for their goal - not having that one on Pickford as it's powerful and straight at him. First time, no-look, weak foot pass from Rodriguez for our goal was amazing (& pass for Richy later) as was Coleman's strength to get keep the ball and cut back. Maybe Guaita could have saved Dom's shot but again, was hit clean and right at him from close range & good on Dom for being in the right place open again. Thought Allan, Digne, Richarlison were solid first half with Doucoure a little off the pace early on. Deffo not a handball on 30 mins vs Ward. I don't think the pen was handball either as that to me is a natural position for the arm when you're spinning your torso around quickly but not complaining since we never get pens. Top penno by Richy but I hate the run up.

Second half we were a bit sluggish, thought Dom could have done a lot better on that beautiful corner; great movement but needs to let it hit his laces and not the toe/sole of his boot. Won't blame Dom for that second corner though as I think him and Keane just got in each other's way after a great leap. We seemed to flit often between Old and New Everton though for large pants; some amazing zippy triangles spread out by large chunks of launching aimless balls up for Dom to try wrestle grocks to in that 4-1-4-1 out of position formation. Pickford had an average game; not much to do outside the goal although the star jumps (Kouyate header) still baffle and worry me; reminds me of Howard so maybe it's an Everton thing. The Invisible Man had a pretty steady cameo for once, Iwobi looked rusty but always felt he's a player that's only useful starting not as a sub (also is he really ripped now or carrying some custard?).

I really like how the 3 in midfield, as well as Rodriguez, like to drift around and interchange - really gives Keane, a solid passer, many more options to play through the lines. We were definitely good for the points though as for all the possession they had till the 75th minute they didn't actually create anything of not and lumping balls up to Keane/Mina is pointless - solid side though and good bet for a Top 10 finish. Thought Zaha was completely anonymous throughout and whoever throw £30m+ at him is a fool - completely outshone by Townsend and Eze.

MOTM? I'd guess Rodriguez just shades Gomes, Allan & Keane purely because of his heavy involvement in both goals which ultimately win matches.

I liked the Amazon Prime coverage because the commentators weren't dreadful and I can watch the full game back but the replays took too long and I feel I missed about 5-6 mins of the game because of it.

The rules do need changing. But the ball hitting your hand is the main thing, and digne headed the ball into the line of richy, but it changed direction completely via hitting the defenders hand. For me there isn't many more nailed on penalties other than snapping somebody.

The siggy one was extremely stupid. But the rules do suggest anyone impeding the vision of the goalkeeper from an offside position can be penalised as such.

I'll be gutted if we got penalised for that in the derby though lol

Was Hodgson doing this when Palace got a blag handball against United last week?

That was even less of a penalty than ours was.

That’s it. A lot of sour grapes over that penalty decision yesterday and now people proper questioning the rules and what not, yet last week and the penalties that have been given in the same manor this season not a peep.

Status
Not open for further replies.