2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think he's good enough if we're trying to take the step up. His positioning and movement is way off. With James around we need a striker who specializes in those departments. That was a great header though.
Hopefully he'll learn, or be taught to make those runs. He had nobody making the passes before

Same goes for Kean and Charlie

?
Our expensive striker missed an open goal but I will not criticise him as he worked his socks off today - in fact it was hard to name a MOTM .....we were that good it's a team game what a difference having a midfield made .......

I'm not criticising him. He had a good game. I always see Dom ticking boxes.

Work rate
Tenacity
Finishing

Now it's just decisions, especially if he's a lone striker at times when the game will not always be about goals, but bringing people into play.

I'm not criticising him. He had a good game. I always see Dom ticking boxes.

Work rate
Tenacity
Finishing

Now it's just decisions, especially if he's a lone striker at times when the game will not always be about goals, but bringing people into play.

I like Dom, don't think anyone can criticise him on his work rate and Tenacity, his finishing can be either sensational or poor though. Hey thats just how it goes you have natural finishers who do nothing for the team, and you have player who work hard at finishing.

One thing I noted tho, was his post match comments about getting chances with the new creativity behind him - I think thats going to drive him to get better again at finishing because he knows that if he doesn't score with the chances hell get he will get hooked and replaced. Carlo likes him, but you can tell he means business and he won't hang around for ages for him to play catchup.

when he ripped the England international Dier? I thought he may have gone for goal and really he probably should have, but it seemed he either wasnt confident at his angle or he got a shout to hold it up as unusually we had players joining the attack today. He tried to lay it off and they ended up wasting it.

i thoght when we got the ball to him he was excellent today with his hold up play. With players like Richarlison (whostunk today) and James that’s ideally what we need the striker to do. When you don’t get the ball to the striker theres really not a whole lot they can do. That header was quality.

Yeah, exactly. Lukaku would've blitzed and gone for goal...or at least have an awareness that if the shot wasn't on, to look for a pass (his assist record for us was ridiculous).

Dom was in two minds which is where he needs to be confident. No one will have a go if he is selfish and has a pop - he's a striker, his job is to shoot. But he'll also need to figure out that it's okay to pick a pass too.

I like Dom, don't think anyone can criticise him on his work rate and Tenacity, his finishing can be either sensational or poor though. Hey thats just how it goes you have natural finishers who do nothing for the team, and you have player who work hard at finishing.

One thing I noted tho, was his post match comments about getting chances with the new creativity behind him - I think thats going to drive him to get better again at finishing because he knows that if he doesn't score with the chances hell get he will get hooked and replaced. Carlo likes him, but you can tell he means business and he won't hang around for ages for him to play catchup.

Big time.

If you watch the chance he made for Rodriguez his movement to pull away from the defender and stay onside was amazing.

It was. His movement in general play is pretty good. He runs the channels very well.
It's his movement in and around the box I think needs improving. The ability to make darts to pull away from defenders needs some work.

Just wish the lad could learn how to latch onto a through ball and bury it.

Two examples stood out yesterday:

First one the ball from Gomes was weighted great, just needed to let it run under him and coax it under his spell to be facing up on goal... it hit his heel and momentum broke down immediately (not the first time I've seen balls hit his heel like that)

Second one he took better into stride and got his shot away, but was never troubling the goalkeeper straight at him, top strikers would bury those chances or at least test the keeper.

With the quality in midfield now he will get more chances slipped to him like this so id like to see him scoring more in these scenarios. Currently I'm never confident when he's in on goal with the ball at his feet.

He was very good second half yesterday and the header was phenomenal.

But if we are serious about wanting to be champions league quality all the teams competing in that have world class upfront, top top finishers.

I hope he can find that level to take us there.

First one the ball from Gomes was weighted great, just needed to let it run under him and coax it under his spell to be facing up on goal... it hit his heel and momentum broke down immediately (not the first time I've seen balls hit his heel like that)

Second one he took better into stride and got his shot away, but was never troubling the goalkeeper straight at him, top strikers would bury those chances or at least test the keeper.

With the quality in midfield now he will get more chances slipped to him like this so id like to see him scoring more in these scenarios. Currently I'm never confident when he's in on goal with the ball at his feet.

But if we are serious about wanting to be champions league quality all the teams competing in that have world class upfront, top top finishers.

Great post.

As I said earlier the best teams have a number of options.

Chelsea had Abraham but also Giroud who were completely different forwards

RS have silky Firmino, pacey Salah/Mane but also a galoot in Origi for when they need to go more direct

Utd under SAF used to have all kinds of different forward options.

Arsenal under Wenger in the early years

For me we dont have a variety of good options realistically up top - DCL is good in the air and likes to battle defenders but his movement/shooting is poor and Kean hasn't really shown anything at us.

If the option was there to loan/sign a CF who offers us something different to DCL and maybe less physically dominant in the air but quicker/better movement then it allows us to tailor our attacking system for each different opponent.

Whilst DCL is good in games like today its games against galoot sides like Palace who's grock CB's will battle in the air all day where we then need more options up top to play through their rigid system.

I agree I just feel with DCL our fans are ultra defensive over him as they've been hurt by gash strikers at the club since Rom left - a bit of better the devil you know mentality.

Its like a teenage girl who had her first love (Lukaku) end and went out sleeping around with losers and bad boys (Sandro, Tosun) trying to find the spark she had with her first love (Big Rom) she's let down by said losers and is about to give up but then she meets a nice lad who isnt an idiot and has some nice qualities (DCL) but you just don't get the sparks you had with your first.

For me that sums up Evertonians with DCL - some girls would stick with DCL and be happy with what they have so to speak whilst others would twist and try find someone who gets those butterflies bouncing in ya garments.

And as I said - I havent a problem with DCL - he's certainly good enough to be a squad player for us for the forseeable - I just think if we are to truly gatecrash the top 4 we need to take the gamble on someone who has the glass ceiling high enough to be a 20 goals a season forward and what better time than to be able to attract one than with Carlo Ancelotti as manager.

this has to be the single greatest analogy of our striking problems.

Yeah, exactly. Lukaku would've blitzed and gone for goal...or at least have an awareness that if the shot wasn't on, to look for a pass (his assist record for us was ridiculous).

It was a game against a top 6 side, so Lukaku wouldn't have been anywhere to be seen and had about 3 touches of the ball for the whole game

Guy scores a goal and gave defenders a torrid time and still people can't leave a post without having a sly dig at the lad

I don't understand it and, no matter what he does this season, it's going to be the same. Yeah he can improve, but what 23 year old can't? He's after scoring an absolute bullet of a winner and giving us our first win away over a top 6 side in a bajillion years - "Needs to move better"

FGS our other main striker should have had a hattrick & you pick faults with the player who got us 3 points listing faults no player can be perfect as you state or Barcelona would sign him .......or Bayern Munich .......he is 23 years old - plus I never ever seen Lukaku score a header as good as that or lay the ball off like DCL does ATM .....
He cost us very little, and you want perfection .......?

Status
Not open for further replies.