2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
FGS our other main striker should have had a hattrick & you pick faults with the player who got us 3 points listing faults no player can be perfect as you state or Barcelona would sign him .......or Bayern Munich .......he is 23 years old - plus I never ever seen Lukaku score a header as good as that or lay the ball off like DCL does ATM .....
He cost us very little, and you want perfection .......?

Vs West Ham (away). Or his one against the Kopites.

Oh yes very much so - the power of the jump the, type of cross that he would meet - or big Dunc wpuld meet only one winner in that for the goal then the accuracy of his header keeper never moved just magic - the Latch was the same put balls in like that it's a goal - something Lukaku never had by the way.......I can remember mber one basic header he ever scored for us , but he had other strengths of course ........

Oh come on.

Took the goal well and is progressing. His progression is a must and we cannot hide away from that fact. Ancelotti will dump him no qualms if his progress wanes. He is still a way off being the striker that this new team will depend on but if he does continue to progress then he will have a say. It is up to DCL now to learn where to be, create space and improve his shooting. He is still on a learning curve but that can be detrimental to a team with high ambitions.

Great post.

As I said earlier the best teams have a number of options.

Chelsea had Abraham but also Giroud who were completely different forwards

RS have silky Firmino, pacey Salah/Mane but also a galoot in Origi for when they need to go more direct

Utd under SAF used to have all kinds of different forward options.

Arsenal under Wenger in the early years

For me we dont have a variety of good options realistically up top - DCL is good in the air and likes to battle defenders but his movement/shooting is poor and Kean hasn't really shown anything at us.

If the option was there to loan/sign a CF who offers us something different to DCL and maybe less physically dominant in the air but quicker/better movement then it allows us to tailor our attacking system for each different opponent.

Whilst DCL is good in games like today its games against galoot sides like Palace who's grock CB's will battle in the air all day where we then need more options up top to play through their rigid system.
Other players are allowed to score you know ......

Took the goal well and is progressing. His progression is a must and we cannot hide away from that fact. Ancelotti will dump him no qualms if his progress wanes. He is still a way off being the striker that this new team will depend on but if he does continue to progress then he will have a say. It is up to DCL now to learn where to be, create space and improve his shooting. He is still on a learning curve but that can be detrimental to a team with high ambitions.
? Again those new midfielders must have appreciated a no 9 who held the ball up laid it off nicely then scored a winner like that & cost a pittance to what we paid out for them.......
Those three new players yesterday all had good games to think they have not had time as yet to blend together -
I have always pointed out we needed a far better midfield we should have hopefully a great new season ...... with goals all over the park......

Isn't that what strikers do? Quiet most of the game but pop up with a winning goal? I would take that every single week. His game has improved but as been said still needs to improve parts of his game but with ancelotti think that will happen

I think first half we struggled to do anything in the final third, but controlled the game up to that point. DCL got no service at all. Second half they changed something, and we were able to get the ball in the final third and create things. James should have buried that chance DCL put on a plate form him, and Richarlison could have set DCL up twice for simple tap ins/chances.

I just thought DCL was doing the 'unseen' work in the 1st half. Moving defenders around and finding space etc.

But looked like 2nd half he just realised we had them and turned it on a bit more. Even ignoring the goal i thought he seemed to step up a gear 2nd half.

I love how much @Joey66 defends DCL, good on you mate.

Love Dom to bits and he was exceptional in the second half.

A mobile target man who is willing to run channels and bring others into the game.

Im convinced Joey is his agent.

I've never loved a player that much to look beyond faults - as someone who's not old enough to have experienced the great team of the 80's Lukaku is the best player I've seen in an EFC shirt yet I'll still happy acknowledge his limitations in truly being one of the best (his rubber shins).

Status
Not open for further replies.