2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still needs to improve decision making when he's through on goal.

There was a point today where he got the ball past Dier, sprinted in on goal...then didn't know to shoot or lay it off.

It reminded me of Lukaku getting into those situations. Bully a defender, bomb in on goal. He used to make the right decisions in on goal...Dom needs to do that

when he ripped the England international Dier? I thought he may have gone for goal and really he probably should have, but it seemed he either wasnt confident at his angle or he got a shout to hold it up as unusually we had players joining the attack today. He tried to lay it off and they ended up wasting it.

i thoght when we got the ball to him he was excellent today with his hold up play. With players like Richarlison (whostunk today) and James that’s ideally what we need the striker to do. When you don’t get the ball to the striker theres really not a whole lot they can do. That header was quality.

He needs a better first touch, he clangs too many.

He needs to learn to make better runs, although the one he made for the long ball from Keane was very good.

still:

-his header for the goal was tremendous. Went right between the CBs and outjumped and outmuscled them both. Right in the corner and hit it hard enough to tear a hole in the net. Lloris didn't even move.

-he was well positioned for goals twice if Richy had picked up his head and found him.

So yes, he's not Vardy or Kane, yet. A player who can score the goal he scored today is still a pretty valuable player imo.

I think he still needs to improve his movement in the box. Bamford at Leeds is a terrible finisher but his movement is very good. Hopefully its something DCL can learn from somewhere.
He scored today. You would think he played poorly reading this.
Richarlison missed a hat full of chances but isn’t getting the abuse. James also missed two good chances.
DCL scored and looked dangerous.

I was a big critic of the lad. He's proved me massively wrong. Not just today but over the last 12 months or so. He's developed into a fantastic figure head of a front 3.

He's become brilliant with his back to goal, arguably better than in front to goal. Holds the ball up great, yeah his touch ain't perfect always, but compare his hold up stuff to Harold kane, England's world beating striker today, no comparison. The boy has improved immensely. There is no doubt about that. If he continues to work on his game, which is evidently gonna be the case. If he adds composure in front of goal to his game, then we have a proper player on our hands.

I'm one of his biggest critics. Great header today. I still think he needs to work on his play when the ball is on the ground, but if he does sort that out he can be a top striker.
Yeah this really for me. I’ve been and am probably still a critic. Great header and you can’t argue, he’s scored the goal to win us the game. There were still times though when balls were played into him and he checks back and chooses the wrong option. Just a couple of times. Another he played a good ball into James who should have scored really. I don’t want to be critical today though as I’m absolutely buzzing but surely his biggest fans can see a few flaws in his game which sometimes frustrate. However, bang those headers in every week and who cares.

Thought he was on the edges of the match for the first half. Different player in the second, i think Ancelotti said something or he just looked around the dressing room and after the 1st half stepped up the effectiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.