2019/20 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had a few games after an injury that should have finished his season. It's just unlucky we haven't had a proper preseason to help build him back up. Anyone questioning him needs to give their head a wobble, he is not a destroyer type footballer but without anyone else in midfield he was forced to take on multiple roles and obviously looked out of his depth.

I would think he would look a million times better playing with an Allan just like he did with Gana. Let him get to full fitness and see what he can do in the Autumn.

Maybe, he has a touch of class about him though, maybe if the ingredients are right he will perform better. Carlo knows a midfielder and he’s keeping Andre around and has spoken highly of him.
Indeed he does have a touch of class or he wouldn’t have got the chance at Barca. But his failings there are being echoed once more here.
Regardless he will have to perform well for more than 1 game in 5 this season , the clock is definitely running on his time as an Everton player.

That really is dross

Probably our first string atm with the players that are likely to be fit and ready to start, assuming we play 4-4-2.

Bernard is alright imo. Gets a lot of undue stick. He was poor at the end of last season, definitely, but in that first spell under Carlo up until lockdown, he was good, especially when given the freedom to cut inside and play as a 10.

Not saying he should be starting once the window is done, like, but needs must atm.

On that note, I honestly reckon the start of the season is gonna be utter garbage. These internationals have made things even more complicated and due to covid hardly any teams have had close to a functioning pre-season.

This year more than any, reckon the first 2-3 games are gonna be pretty much glorified friendlies, especially with the window not closing until next month.

We all know he hasn't played well for a long time. The injury didn't help and he never looked back to his best afterwards.

I guess there is only one thing I can say though right now.

He was playing in a midfield that we have literally just replaced in the space of a week once the other two are announced.

I said when he signed he was our best midfielder walking in. There were times where he was the best player on the pitch for us.

Perhaps , the fact we have felt the need to buy a new midfield is part of the reason why gomes hasn't played as well as we would hope since he came back. Perhaps swapping Davies/coward / schniederlin for Allan and doucoure may allow him to focus on his game which we know can be sublime on his day.

Because if we made a list of players who were replaced by the new signings, gomes would be pretty low on that list by all accounts.

Probably our first string atm with the players that are likely to be fit and ready to start, assuming we play 4-4-2.

Bernard is alright imo. Gets a lot of undue stick. He was poor at the end of last season, definitely, but in that first spell under Carlo up until lockdown, he was good, especially when given the freedom to cut inside and play as a 10.

Not saying he should be starting once the window is done, like, but needs must atm.

On that note, I honestly reckon the start of the season is gonna be utter garbage. These internationals have made things even more complicated and due to covid hardly any teams have had close to a functioning pre-season.

This year more than any, reckon the first 2-3 games are gonna be pretty much glorified friendlies, especially with the window not closing until next month.

I think we are going to play less 442 and more 433 this year. We played 433 yesterday with Richarlison out left. I prefer him in the middle mind you.

I think we are going to play less 442 and more 433 this year. We played 433 yesterday with Richarlison out left. I prefer him in the middle mind you.

Yes I think we'll play more a 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 mate.

Bernard definitely did play slightly wider yesterday. But I suppose Richarlison's runs out wide opened that space up for him in the middle.

See I dont rate him as a player, but you never know if there is something going on with a players mental health that is affecting his concentration. He might be better then we have seen, he might have it in him, but I'm not convinced.
Agree 100%, too slow and wants way too much time on the ball and he is poor defensively. Not going to deny he has a good touch and i do think there are elements of a decent player in him but he is very inconsistent, like you I'm not convinced just yet.
Never understood the love in for Gomes. Had a couple of good games but gets by passed in a lot of games. Very inconsistent and like you said very slow. Looks like we are keeping him so it's a big year for him. With the new 3 in midfield we will find out if Andre is any good. I'm hoping that he comes good and has a consistent season but I'm not holding my breath. Get rid next year if no improvement

Will be sold in 12months i think.

Funny thing with Gomes, if he has one of his rare good games we could win valuable points.

Sadly as i said, rare.

I'd give him 8.

Not because he doesn't deserve 10. I just feel our no.8 shirt is a more 'special' shirt in our history than the 10.

Plus, I'd rather Delph get punted than Gylfi (I know, it's not a good choice).

Allan 6
Doucoure 8
James 10

Status
Not open for further replies.