2019/20 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had a few games after an injury that should have finished his season. It's just unlucky we haven't had a proper preseason to help build him back up. Anyone questioning him needs to give their head a wobble, he is not a destroyer type footballer but without anyone else in midfield he was forced to take on multiple roles and obviously looked out of his depth.

I would think he would look a million times better playing with an Allan just like he did with Gana. Let him get to full fitness and see what he can do in the Autumn.
Some from this

Indeed he does have a touch of class or he wouldn’t have got the chance at Barca. But his failings there are being echoed once more here.
Regardless he will have to perform well for more than 1 game in 5 this season , the clock is definitely running on his time as an Everton player.
And some from this

They are never the same player after such an injury. We have seen it so many times.
And this is also a possibility too

He was bad at least 50% of the time next to Gana though. He's clearly very talented, and I hope he can get back to the sort of form he showed when he very first came into the side. It's weird the excuses that get put forward for him though. He looked limited when next to Gana and way before his injury, but people consistently make out like he was outstanding. I'd say he had 7/8 really good games when he first came in, and since then he's basically been a 1 in 4 player. Good players look better when surrounded by quality, better players make the players around them look better than they are.

To put a sort of defence and sort of not defence of Gomes- when he is good he is very good. The midfield display at Anfield, albeit in a gme Pickford through away was fantastic. Ran the game and was head and shoulders above their midfielders. I remember similar at Stamford Bridge, or West Ham that season up against Rice. Just head and shoulders above them.

You also add in he is very graceful on the eye and you can see why people like him.

I am however often drawn to the bit of the movie in Moneyball, where they start discounting players on what they look like, not what they do, and vice versa. You here the scouts saying "purist swing I've seen" or "great running action"/ "he's 6 ft 4 and lifts loads in the gym" and Brad Pitt sort of says back how many runs do they score.

There's a lot of that with Gomes, what concretely is he contributing. He's low on goals, on assists, on chances created. He doesn't tackle or intercept much. He doesn't seem to go past people much currently (though I'm hoing that chnages). The defence is he runs games which I fair enough, but we don't seem to win the midfield battle at all, or have much control in games (that may have come from having a ladlike Scholes who dictates tempo).

He has a lot of attributes, his size, he can pass, he seemsto be able to shoot but for whatever reason it hasn't been consistent.

I see some poeple turning their nose up at Doucoure. I don't think Doucoure is a perfect fit either, but you can look at his numbers and see what he does. He presses opponents, he scores goals, he wins headers and creates more opportunities for teamate that Gomes does.

So it's a big season for him. He needs to kick on, or I suspect he will be left out.

To put a sort of defence and sort of not defence of Gomes- when he is good he is very good. The midfield display at Anfield, albeit in a gme Pickford through away was fantastic. Ran the game and was head and shoulders above their midfielders. I remember similar at Stamford Bridge, or West Ham that season up against Rice. Just head and shoulders above them.

You also add in he is very graceful on the eye and you can see why people like him.

I am however often drawn to the bit of the movie in Moneyball, where they start discounting players on what they look like, not what they do, and vice versa. You here the scouts saying "purist swing I've seen" or "great running action"/ "he's 6 ft 4 and lifts loads in the gym" and Brad Pitt sort of says back how many runs do they score.

There's a lot of that with Gomes, what concretely is he contributing. He's low on goals, on assists, on chances created. He doesn't tackle or intercept much. He doesn't seem to go past people much currently (though I'm hoing that chnages). The defence is he runs games which I fair enough, but we don't seem to win the midfield battle at all, or have much control in games (that may have come from having a ladlike Scholes who dictates tempo).

He has a lot of attributes, his size, he can pass, he seemsto be able to shoot but for whatever reason it hasn't been consistent.

I see some poeple turning their nose up at Doucoure. I don't think Doucoure is a perfect fit either, but you can look at his numbers and see what he does. He presses opponents, he scores goals, he wins headers and creates more opportunities for teamate that Gomes does.

So it's a big season for him. He needs to kick on, or I suspect he will be kicked out
Fixed that for you mate

Available for Spurs.

Looks like those who suggested he was sent back because he wasn’t gonna be played are true.

I’m glad he’s available. Hoping he’s putting more into training now that he has to fight for his place and hope it pays off on the pitch.

he can get properly fit now we aren't hoping he's our saviour, should never have come back so quickly with nowt to play for and I stand by my statement that i don't believe he's ever been 100% fit since he's been here.

He has shown enough quality on his day to persevere with in my opinion.

Sadly looks to have lost two yards of pace since that horrific injury, but with better players he may shine like when he first arrived...... plus the rest may have done him good ......he will have competition too so that may gee him up too......

Status
Not open for further replies.