2019/20 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably our first string atm with the players that are likely to be fit and ready to start, assuming we play 4-4-2.

Bernard is alright imo. Gets a lot of undue stick. He was poor at the end of last season, definitely, but in that first spell under Carlo up until lockdown, he was good, especially when given the freedom to cut inside and play as a 10.

Not saying he should be starting once the window is done, like, but needs must atm.

On that note, I honestly reckon the start of the season is gonna be utter garbage. These internationals have made things even more complicated and due to covid hardly any teams have had close to a functioning pre-season.

This year more than any, reckon the first 2-3 games are gonna be pretty much glorified friendlies, especially with the window not closing until next month.
Chatting to lad that works for me this morning who's a Chelsea fan and he agreed when I mentioned this. Teams gonna be seriously off the pace. Looking at Holgate before he went off and against Blackpool and looks like hes still on holidays. May not be a bad ting if he misses Sunday if we can get 2 fit CB's on the field.

Hopefully being in a fully functioning Midfield will brighten Gnomes up a bit.
Always felt he had a lot more to give the team. One of the few I would keep.

He had a few games after an injury that should have finished his season. It's just unlucky we haven't had a proper preseason to help build him back up. Anyone questioning him needs to give their head a wobble, he is not a destroyer type footballer but without anyone else in midfield he was forced to take on multiple roles and obviously looked out of his depth.

I would think he would look a million times better playing with an Allan just like he did with Gana. Let him get to full fitness and see what he can do in the Autumn.
He was bad at least 50% of the time next to Gana though. He's clearly very talented, and I hope he can get back to the sort of form he showed when he very first came into the side. It's weird the excuses that get put forward for him though. He looked limited when next to Gana and way before his injury, but people consistently make out like he was outstanding. I'd say he had 7/8 really good games when he first came in, and since then he's basically been a 1 in 4 player. Good players look better when surrounded by quality, better players make the players around them look better than they are.

He was bad at least 50% of the time next to Gana though. He's clearly very talented, and I hope he can get back to the sort of form he showed when he very first came into the side. It's weird the excuses that get put forward for him though. He looked limited when next to Gana and way before his injury, but people consistently make out like he was outstanding. I'd say he had 7/8 really good games when he first came in, and since then he's basically been a 1 in 4 player. Good players look better when surrounded by quality, better players make the players around them look better than they are.

Maybe he will still be inconsistent but I'm saying there are mitigating circumstances and while he may have looked poor (I don't remember this though) we had the fourth best form or something to that effect from February to the end of the season. Gana left then the season afterwards we were nowhere. I just feel we are trying to put him on the scrap heap too soon.

You are right though the more quality around the better they are/look. So let's see what happens.

He had a few games after an injury that should have finished his season. It's just unlucky we haven't had a proper preseason to help build him back up. Anyone questioning him needs to give their head a wobble, he is not a destroyer type footballer but without anyone else in midfield he was forced to take on multiple roles and obviously looked out of his depth.

I would think he would look a million times better playing with an Allan just like he did with Gana. Let him get to full fitness and see what he can do in the Autumn.
So what’s his excuse for failing to impress at Barca?
Seems like he’s a player who we are constantly seeking excuses for poor performances.
For the record he seems like a decent bloke and I very much hope he succeeds here but at this point I am very dubious he will.

Chatting to lad that works for me this morning who's a Chelsea fan and he agreed when I mentioned this. Teams gonna be seriously off the pace. Looking at Holgate before he went off and against Blackpool and looks like hes still on holidays. May not be a bad ting if he misses Sunday if we can get 2 fit CB's on the field.
Surely fitness levels don't deteriorate that much ...last season only just finished ... I wouldn't imagine they would be that much off the pace

Status
Not open for further replies.