2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way should we keep him, he is good at what he does..................not a lot. Keep him and we have a gaping hole in the midfield defensively and not a lot for the strikers to feed off. 1 or 2 decent games does not warrant a position in the team. We have to recognise mediocrity and let go unless we are content with mid-table finishes. Davies is one of a good few we should release and not keep for sentimental reasons.

If you’ve goosed 100 birds at 22 years old it still doesn’t make you a top gooser. You probably still blow your beans after 20 mins of drilling while the bird just lies there like a mannequin. He’s going to get a bit of practice with some seasoned cougars after his previous hundred were with any old mess. There’s plenty of time for Tom to come good

No way should we keep him, he is good at what he does..................not a lot. Keep him and we have a gaping hole in the midfield defensively and not a lot for the strikers to feed off. 1 or 2 decent games does not warrant a position in the team. We have to recognise mediocrity and let go unless we are content with mid-table finishes. Davies is one of a good few we should release and not keep for sentimental reasons.

He may be a perfectly good squad player but for his sake I hope he goes on loan to a club where players look to him for leadership and to show them his quality and he might just grow to be able to come back and be more than that.

Mate do you want to keep him what is he strength?
He’s still young and not on big wages as well being Home grown therefore perfect as a squad player. I hate ‘squad players’ who are passed it and collecting a large wage. Like I said let the guy have a season or 2 under a good manager, our last few managers haven’t got the best out of our players in their peak let alone the younger players. He always shows for the ball which is encouraging rather than hide away and point elsewhere.

What's his position mate?

Do you not think that you've made you own point, by stating one game this season?

No doubt, a top lad. But one standout game in 50-60 appearances isn't acceptable. Let him get a career out the game, move him on before his confidence gets shot further

Why would I be concerned about making my own point?

Also, that 1 game you speak of, he played as a sitting Central midfielder, along with Gomes, in a 451, with plenty of movement and options ahead of him who showed for the ball and made intelligent runs off it. Walcott, Bernard and Iwobi all played well in that game as well, and they didn't have Gylfi the ghost, standing still, pointing and avoiding the ball, to the detriment of the team.

In a team that moves, and more importantly, moves the ball, I think he could be useful. But in just the same way as playing any system, it has to suit the players, and as I've stated before, I see Davies as being a link up player helping to move the ball between the lines in a 5 man midfield, and I don't think he suits a 442, certainly not as 1 of 2 centremids who are open to be overrun, and certainly not when his partner is Gylfi the ghost or a badly out of shape and form Gomes.

And you're right, he does seem like a top lad. He certainly doesn't deserve the abuse he gets. Also, I said he could probably do with a move myself, so not disagreeing with you on that.

He’s still young and not on big wages as well being Home grown therefore perfect as a squad player. I hate ‘squad players’ who are passed it and collecting a large wage. Like I said let the guy have a season or 2 under a good manager, our last few managers haven’t got the best out of our players in their peak let alone the younger players. He always shows for the ball which is encouraging rather than hide away and point elsewhere.

He had 100 odd games and does not seem to improve. In the middle - Allan, Doucouré, Gomes, Gbamin, Sigurdsson, Delph I just don’t see his place there.

Not being funny but it doesn’t really strengthen your argument when you have to reference a match that was played almost a year ago to point out when Davies was given MOTM.

And even then, he wasn’t MOTM (Sky gave it to Gomes, BBC’s was Walcott, and Davies came 3rd on GOT’s poll).

I’m sure the lad is sound and as I said it’s nothing personal, but he simply isn’t good enough for our ambitions. In Premier League standards he offers very little in an attacking sense and defensively he’s as flakey as a Flake.

Yeah, I'm sure GOTs MOTM poll was entirely neutral on that 1. And he still got 3rd, I'm assuming behind any 2 of Bernard/Iwobi/Walcott? The team played well that day, and Davies performance was one of the important factors in it.

Also, I'm not sure why it didn't strengthen my argument, an argument that was essentially "No, you are wrong to say he hasn't played well since Man City 3 years ago". If anything, it MADE my argument. The fact it was this season is all the better.

As for the good enough argument, it seems to have been lost in translation. I said he hasn't kicked on the way we would have hoped, and I gave reasons to why I didn't think that had happened, before saying a fresh start would do him good. I don't think he currently gets in our strongest 11,and that will be even less the case when we complete the signings we are making.

I just think his treatment is a little unfair, and I will say it again, I wish him well and hope he goes on to establish himself at another club. Just because it doesn't work at 1 club doesn't mean they are not good enough for the prem. There have been dozens and dozens of examples of that. 2 of the most sought after, high profile players in the league tell a completely different story, and no, I'm not comparing Davies to Salah or De Bruyne before anyone jumps on that.

Ancelotti has clearly made his mind up that the Midfield needed urgent attention and has attempted to address it. If he decides Davies isn't to be a part of it, so be it. But just think how disappointing that would be to you as a 22 year old living the dream, and give the lad a break.

Why would I be concerned about making my own point?

Also, that 1 game you speak of, he played as a sitting Central midfielder, along with Gomes, in a 451, with plenty of movement and options ahead of him who showed for the ball and made intelligent runs off it. Walcott, Bernard and Iwobi all played well in that game as well, and they didn't have Gylfi the ghost, standing still, pointing and avoiding the ball, to the detriment of the team.

In a team that moves, and more importantly, moves the ball, I think he could be useful. But in just the same way as playing any system, it has to suit the players, and as I've stated before, I see Davies as being a link up player helping to move the ball between the lines in a 5 man midfield, and I don't think he suits a 442, certainly not as 1 of 2 centremids who are open to be overrun, and certainly not when his partner is Gylfi the ghost or a badly out of shape and form Gomes.

And you're right, he does seem like a top lad. He certainly doesn't deserve the abuse he gets. Also, I said he could probably do with a move myself, so not disagreeing with you on that.

I never stated concern. More, you kind of made the Davies point, whilst trying to be positive, still showed him as poor.

You recalled one game which he was good, in 12 months, I can recall 6 atrocious performances, since the turn of the year, some even after the restart.
He's played plenty of games in centre midfield, and the game passes him by, so much so that he's racked up 22 yellows in those 105 games in the league, and has a combined 9 goals and assists.
"He can't play in a 4-4-2" - Then he's aleady limiting himself really, cause as a central based midfielder, you have to adapt to different methods of playing, and if he can't do that, then he shouldn't be here.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but lets face it, if he's from London, Spain, Mexico, wherever, every fan has given up on him.

No one deserves abuse they get, but ultimately, part and parcel of being a Professional footballer is riding the wave, and dealing with lows when they're low, and highs when they're high.

And you're right, seems like a really nice lad, and wish him nothing but good luck, and if he ever did make it at Everton, i'd be overjoyed. But surely we'd have seen some signs after 120 appearances that he has the ability to become an established Premier League player, at a side with European ambitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.