2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing against the lad personally, but I can genuinely only remember one game where I’ve thought “Davies was great today”, and that was the 4-0 win v City 3 or 4 years ago.

Last season especially he was absolutely woeful. I honestly believe if he wasn’t a scouser he’d have been sacked off ages ago. But as is the case with Everton in recent years, being a local lad seems to give you a free pass with the Everton hierarchy and parts of the fan base. Hopefully this is now changing and sentiment will go out of the window in favour of actually wanting to win stuff.

He was Man Of The Match against West Ham at home, and made media poster boy Declan Rice look like an amateur. A game when he played in a team without a certain Icelandic ghost (till he came on with 2 mins to go and scored a worldie).

Don't get me wrong, he had some poor games as well, especially after the restart, but let's be fair.

People saying he's the worst this and that, and he has no attributes, abilities etc, it's all hyperbole, by a lot of the same people who wax lyrical that Gana Gueye is the best DM we've ever had.

There is a player in there somewhere, and he needs the chance to show it. I'm not having the "hes played 100 games for Everton, he's had his chance" argument, as, like people have also rightly pointed out, his debut was 5 seasons ago, and his "chances" have largely been filling in when we have been short in various positions and roles. The longest run of games he's had for us in the starting 11 is 14, and that was from February to May 2017, Koemans 1st season, when he came in and contributed a lot to our good 2nd half of the season form, alongside Schneiderlin.

Maybe he hasn't kicked on from there as we had hoped, but to dismiss the quality of the sides and the lack of consistency in both players and coaches in that time, is doing him a disservice.

All of that said, the atmosphere has become quite poisonous for him now, and coupled with the hopeful improvements we are making in both personal and general direction under Ancelotti, maybe a move to another club where he could play regularly, nail down a role and be appreciated, is what he needs. Me and my brother discussed it the other day, and thought maybe somewhere like Norwich would do him good, where he would be around other talented young players, playing a certain way, including Keiron Dowell. It could be a great launchpad for both of them, in the same way they have helped to develop Cantwell and Madison, 2 similar types of players.

Whatever happens, I wish him well and hope he manages to prove to his doubters that while he might not have been the right fit at the wrong time at Everton, he can still have a career elsewhere.

Can you genuinely name one good thing Davies has done since the City game at home? The mans a deadbeat Dan and the sooner he goes , the better. He’s league one standard! take my word for it he will never develop into a top midfielder, he’s a waste man.

I’m not saying he will turn into an elite top tier midfielder. But he’s worth keeping around and under a proper manager and next to actual football players, we will see if he’s cut out for it or not.

He was Man Of The Match against West Ham at home, and made media poster boy Declan Rice look like an amateur. A game when he played in a team without a certain Icelandic ghost (till he came on with 2 mins to go and scored a worldie).

Don't get me wrong, he had some poor games as well, especially after the restart, but let's be fair.

People saying he's the worst this and that, and he has no attributes, abilities etc, it's all hyperbole, by a lot of the same people who wax lyrical that Gana Gueye is the best DM we've ever had.

There is a player in there somewhere, and he needs the chance to show it. I'm not having the "hes played 100 games for Everton, he's had his chance" argument, as, like people have also rightly pointed out, his debut was 5 seasons ago, and his "chances" have largely been filling in when we have been short in various positions and roles. The longest run of games he's had for us in the starting 11 is 14, and that was from February to May 2017, Koemans 1st season, when he came in and contributed a lot to our good 2nd half of the season form, alongside Schneiderlin.

Maybe he hasn't kicked on from there as we had hoped, but to dismiss the quality of the sides and the lack of consistency in both players and coaches in that time, is doing him a disservice.

All of that said, the atmosphere has become quite poisonous for him now, and coupled with the hopeful improvements we are making in both personal and general direction under Ancelotti, maybe a move to another club where he could play regularly, nail down a role and be appreciated, is what he needs. Me and my brother discussed it the other day, and thought maybe somewhere like Norwich would do him good, where he would be around other talented young players, playing a certain way, including Keiron Dowell. It could be a great launchpad for both of them, in the same way they have helped to develop Cantwell and Madison, 2 similar types of players.

Whatever happens, I wish him well and hope he manages to prove to his doubters that while he might not have been the right fit at the wrong time at Everton, he can still have a career elsewhere.

What's his position mate?

Do you not think that you've made you own point, by stating one game this season?

No doubt, a top lad. But one standout game in 50-60 appearances isn't acceptable. Let him get a career out the game, move him on before his confidence gets shot further

I’m not saying he will turn into an elite top tier midfielder. But he’s worth keeping around and under a proper manager and next to actual football players, we will see if he’s cut out for it or not.

You could keep him around under a brilliant manager but the player has to put the work in. I honestly don't see any improvement in him now than I did in 2016.

Not being funny but it doesn’t really strengthen your argument when you have to reference a match that was played almost a year ago to point out when Davies was given MOTM.

And even then, he wasn’t MOTM (Sky gave it to Gomes, BBC’s was Walcott, and Davies came 3rd on GOT’s poll).

I’m sure the lad is sound and as I said it’s nothing personal, but he simply isn’t good enough for our ambitions. In Premier League standards he offers very little in an attacking sense and defensively he’s as flakey as a Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.