2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love us to replace him with a steady keeper, someone who saves shots you expect them too. One that claims crosses without bouncing, one that organises a defence. A figure the team can rely on to do things a certain way, rather than being so erratic, that he doesn't even know what hes going to do.

Too cocky to concentrate for 90 minutes.

I actually wonder if he's a bit hyper active/ADHD.

To me he seems to exert enormous amounts of energy in games and it ultimately means he goes unfocussed at key moments.

I remmeber Michael Atherton, a cricket batsman said that what was important in batting was to switch off, as much as switch on. You couldn't maintain focus for long periods of time if you were always very intense.

Either way, I don't think it's just an issue if him having to concentrate more, I think it's more fundamental than that with him. It's not a good sign at all and in truth he's fortunate there are no fans in the ground currently, as it would be toxic towards him.

I remember hating Tim Howard at the end, and I feel a bit guilty for that, as he seems like a really nice bloke when he speaks now, who was a bit out of his depth at the end as he was a bit too old. I'm trying not to hate this lad in the same way, but it's testing me!

On a slight aside, I am very confused what Joel ever really did wrong. I don't follow the team home and away, and don't get me wrong Joel was not a world class goalkeeper and never going to be, but I always felthe was quite solid and dependable. Far more so than late Tim Howard, Stekelenberg and Pickford. He had a good size and seemed to calm the defence in front of him. Thats a real mystery to me, as to why successive coaches never really fancied him.

I actually wonder if he's a bit hyper active/ADHD.

To me he seems to exert enormous amounts of energy in games and it ultimately means he goes unfocussed at key moments.

I remmeber Michael Atherton, a cricket batsman said that what was important in batting was to switch off, as much as switch on. You couldn't maintain focus for long periods of time if you were always very intense.

Either way, I don't think it's just an issue if him having to concentrate more, I think it's more fundamental than that with him. It's not a good sign at all and in truth he's fortunate there are no fans in the ground currently, as it would be toxic towards him.

I remember hating Tim Howard at the end, and I feel a bit guilty for that, as he seems like a really nice bloke when he speaks now, who was a bit out of his depth at the end as he was a bit too old. I'm trying not to hate this lad in the same way, but it's testing me!

On a slight aside, I am very confused what Joel ever really did wrong. I don't follow the team home and away, and don't get me wrong Joel was not a world class goalkeeper and never going to be, but I always felthe was quite solid and dependable. Far more so than late Tim Howard, Stekelenberg and Pickford. He had a good size and seemed to calm the defence in front of him. Thats a real mystery to me, as to why successive coaches never really fancied him.

or he’s just crap, like Joe Hart and he’s been massively overrated by the British press

Every now and then i see him compared to Joe Hart. If you're reading this message please, don't make the same mistake.

Joe Hart is a multiple Premier League winner and had a solid shout for top 3 PL goalkeepers from 2010-2015.

Jordan Pickford never has and never will reach Joe Hart's level.

Said the same.

Hart's decline was clearly mentally. That's not to say he was perfect (his loan at Italy exposed him massively) but I think he's fell down a casm he can't get out off

It was obvious in the first few weeks after the world Cup that he came back a completely different character. I was saying it at the time.

He had a great tournament and then came back playing a reckless, frenetic game where he took risks, charged out of his box and started diving for the cameras. His basic handling skills became non existent.

The hype and limelight that summer went to his head and he started to act like he'd made it. I genuinely believe he has the ability to be an excellent goalkeeper. I've seen it in the past. But his attitude and mentality are so badly lacking that I dont think he will ever be a reliable top flight goalkeeper again.

Status
Not open for further replies.