2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goalkeepers are a lot like closers in baseball, or golfers. The confidence can go after even a single game, and once that happens it gets down in their DNA.

Look at Casillas and the 2014 World Cup, or de Gea and the 2018 World Cup, or Karius after the CL final...the mental fortitude the position requires is enormous, and very few of them have the resilience of a Buffon.

Pickford is damaged goods, and at a bare minimum he needs a change of scenery to even have a prayer of recovery.

I actually wonder if he's a bit hyper active/ADHD.

To me he seems to exert enormous amounts of energy in games and it ultimately means he goes unfocussed at key moments.

I remmeber Michael Atherton, a cricket batsman said that what was important in batting was to switch off, as much as switch on. You couldn't maintain focus for long periods of time if you were always very intense.

Either way, I don't think it's just an issue if him having to concentrate more, I think it's more fundamental than that with him. It's not a good sign at all and in truth he's fortunate there are no fans in the ground currently, as it would be toxic towards him.

I remember hating Tim Howard at the end, and I feel a bit guilty for that, as he seems like a really nice bloke when he speaks now, who was a bit out of his depth at the end as he was a bit too old. I'm trying not to hate this lad in the same way, but it's testing me!

On a slight aside, I am very confused what Joel ever really did wrong. I don't follow the team home and away, and don't get me wrong Joel was not a world class goalkeeper and never going to be, but I always felthe was quite solid and dependable. Far more so than late Tim Howard, Stekelenberg and Pickford. He had a good size and seemed to calm the defence in front of him. Thats a real mystery to me, as to why successive coaches never really fancied him.

Pickford was no improvement on Joel IMO, catcher.

I actually wonder if he's a bit hyper active/ADHD.

To me he seems to exert enormous amounts of energy in games and it ultimately means he goes unfocussed at key moments.

I remmeber Michael Atherton, a cricket batsman said that what was important in batting was to switch off, as much as switch on. You couldn't maintain focus for long periods of time if you were always very intense.

Either way, I don't think it's just an issue if him having to concentrate more, I think it's more fundamental than that with him. It's not a good sign at all and in truth he's fortunate there are no fans in the ground currently, as it would be toxic towards him.

I remember hating Tim Howard at the end, and I feel a bit guilty for that, as he seems like a really nice bloke when he speaks now, who was a bit out of his depth at the end as he was a bit too old. I'm trying not to hate this lad in the same way, but it's testing me!

On a slight aside, I am very confused what Joel ever really did wrong. I don't follow the team home and away, and don't get me wrong Joel was not a world class goalkeeper and never going to be, but I always felthe was quite solid and dependable. Far more so than late Tim Howard, Stekelenberg and Pickford. He had a good size and seemed to calm the defence in front of him. Thats a real mystery to me, as to why successive coaches never really fancied him.
i could actually see that. as a goalkeeper myself with ADHD i was always able to pull off huge saves and every once in a while id let in a complete blunder because of a lapse in concentration. struggled with that my whole life

It's the only attributes he has.

The save from Wilson (I think) who was clean through is basically a reactive save. He's good in those one on ones as he's agile.

Him pulling off "great" saves are usually blink of an eye shots from a few yards out that he'll get a good or hand too, that I would say a lot of keepers wouldn't save.

It's everything else that's a problem and that's a big problem. He'll do well in a team that get peppered with shots ala Sunderland when they went down. But for a team that'll don't let many behind the defence, he's gonna struggle.

Doesn’t he have the single worst shots to saves ratio in the league? He is a terrible shot stopper.

Status
Not open for further replies.