2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was obvious in the first few weeks after the world Cup that he came back a completely different character. I was saying it at the time.

He had a great tournament and then came back playing a reckless, frenetic game where he took risks, charged out of his box and started diving for the cameras. His basic handling skills became non existent.

The hype and limelight that summer went to his head and he started to act like he'd made it. I genuinely believe he has the ability to be an excellent goalkeeper. I've seen it in the past. But his attitude and mentality are so badly lacking that I dont think he will ever be a reliable top flight goalkeeper again.

Big Nev would sort him out. I am convinced of that. But that won't happen.
I think, like with Tom Davies, he isn't going to be the player we all hoped he would be.

Time for a goalkeeping rethink.

I actually wonder if he's a bit hyper active/ADHD.

To me he seems to exert enormous amounts of energy in games and it ultimately means he goes unfocussed at key moments.

I remmeber Michael Atherton, a cricket batsman said that what was important in batting was to switch off, as much as switch on. You couldn't maintain focus for long periods of time if you were always very intense.

Either way, I don't think it's just an issue if him having to concentrate more, I think it's more fundamental than that with him. It's not a good sign at all and in truth he's fortunate there are no fans in the ground currently, as it would be toxic towards him.

I remember hating Tim Howard at the end, and I feel a bit guilty for that, as he seems like a really nice bloke when he speaks now, who was a bit out of his depth at the end as he was a bit too old. I'm trying not to hate this lad in the same way, but it's testing me!

On a slight aside, I am very confused what Joel ever really did wrong. I don't follow the team home and away, and don't get me wrong Joel was not a world class goalkeeper and never going to be, but I always felthe was quite solid and dependable. Far more so than late Tim Howard, Stekelenberg and Pickford. He had a good size and seemed to calm the defence in front of him. Thats a real mystery to me, as to why successive coaches never really fancied him.

Joel’s issue was in big games. He was absolutely awful in a few derbies yet would be fine in normal games. We kept Howard too long after his reflexes had gone, wasn’t Howard’s fault, was Everton’s. There’s no excuse for Pickford, he should be entering his prime as a keeper yet his form has fallen off a cliff. He’s a million miles away from the goal keeper he was in 17/18.

Ben Foster on a free is 20 times less likely to drop the ball than this utter clown.

never commended his area on his best day.

Drops the ball inexplicably three times a game, every game. did it today, guarantee colemnan from playing gaelic football has better hands than Pickfod.

That’s not how international football works, players are picked on form and I’d be shocked if Pickford played another competitive game for England.

There is no "way" that international football works. It will totally depend on the manager. He will almost certainly be in the next squad barring injuries and he will probably play as he has been Southgates number one.

He shouldn't be but he will be.

He was recently linked with Chelsea. Wonder if we could swap him for Kepa?

And I'm not a huge fan of him but Kepa would be an improvement.

Somebody suggested Romero from United and if he was available I'd be all over that. Doesn't need to move house, can join us as a number one, no massive change to his lifestyle at all, would fit right in. If not can we take Henderson on loan just like Sheffield United did for the season. Whichever one of those two they don't need for next season I'll happily have at our goalkeeper. Both miles better than this idiot

You are correct. Said a long time ago he is not 'quite right'
It’s tricky territory this as you don’t want to be criticising something he has no control of. To me it’s clear as day he is hyperactive. Tim Howard has Tourettes and occasionally you could see it, but Jordan’s mannerisms are far more pronounced. The constant fidgeting, jumping around and overreacting to just about everything, getting involved with the crowd..etc. It’s especially unsuitable for the very position where you need a calm head more than any other.

I really really don't like Pickford but one on one's he's usually pretty good for a great save. That's not to say he may not mess it up. It's like that 3rd goal today, when he has time to think or....just be an average keeper, THAT'S when he messes up.
Think that’s spot on. He’s brilliant from point blank range. His reactions are like lightening. He made saves few others would have in the 2018 World Cup run with quite a few from close in (often using his feet). It’s the decision making stuff that lets him down...plus (and it’s become a very harsh slur this) he seems to be just out of reach of so many shots. That header today from Solanke..I’ve seen plenty of keepers get to that.

Ultimately I think he’s a mid table level goalkeeper who has been elevated by a particularly weak crop of England goalkeepers. Not a single English regular gk at any of this seasons top six clubs. Nigel Martyn was third choice for England, a top class gk who would be untouchable today...that’s how far the standard has fallen.

Because he was linked to Chelsea in the paper recently.

Thanks for that ;).

The chances of it being true is probably 5%?
Champions League regulars who recently paid over £70m for a young keeper that hasn't yet worked then buy also so far not worked Pickford as a replacement is just silliness.

Thanks for that ;).

The chances of it being true is probably 5%?
Champions League regulars who recently paid over £70m for a young keeper that hasn't yet worked then buy also so far not worked Pickford as a replacement is just silliness.
I think it's more hope than expectation, The fact hes still Englands number 1 until we know any different adds some value I guess.

I think it's more hope than expectation, The fact hes still Englands number 1 until we know any different adds some value I guess.

There is obviously a massive problem with him at the mo so I can't see any decent sized P/L club buying him and if one of the smaller sized clubs want him, they probably couldn't afford he's wages anyway?
He isn't old so he has time to turn he's career back around.

There is obviously a massive problem with him at the mo so I can't see any decent sized P/L club buying him and if one of the smaller sized clubs want him, they probably couldn't afford he's wages anyway?
He isn't old so he has time to turn he's career back around.
He’s making an error every game, I’m not sure he can turn this around to be honest. If we could get what we paid for him back I’d be more than happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.