2019/20 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, while there is anything to play for play the strongest side. If Europe becomes unobtainable blood some youngsters.
On the other hand given we won't play in front of a Goodison crowd and our away record,I'm relieved we have 37 points on the board.

I'm slightly confused that some people seem to think that the likes of Kenny and Davies still can't be judged despite having over 100 senior appearances under their belts, but 9 games will tell us all we need to know about Gordon.
It is because for some weird reason on here there seems to be a desire for Davies and Kenney to not make the grade and the same desire for Gordon to make the grade.

I don't understand it to be honest and I certainly think that Davies can have a long Everton future and I hope Kenny as well.

I trust the judgement of the Everton manager and coaches to decide their future rather than the critics on GOT who like nothing better than a home grown scapegoat.

I'm slightly confused that some people seem to think that the likes of Kenny and Davies still can't be judged despite having over 100 senior appearances under their belts, but 9 games will tell us all we need to know about Gordon.
We just need to give him enough time to decide what to do with him next year as well as to decide whether another winger should be signed. It doesn't have to be a final decision, but it is easier to decide whether someone can play or needs a loan if they actually play a little.

We just need to give him enough time to decide what to do with him next year as well as to decide whether another winger should be signed. It doesn't have to be a final decision, but it is easier to decide whether someone can play or needs a loan if they actually play a little.
I honestly don't really think that's the case though. After 9 games i'd have been pretty confident that Tom Davies would have been a good squad player for us over the next 12 months but in reality he really struggled and his first 9 games were as good as he's ever been for us so far. I still think you have to trust the manager and coaches to know who's got it and who hasn't without just giving them trial runs where we see how they do. If somebody gets into the side it should be because the manager is confident they deserve to be there on merit, not because there's a possibility they might be better than he thinks.

I honestly don't really think that's the case though. After 9 games i'd have been pretty confident that Tom Davies would have been a good squad player for us over the next 12 months but in reality he really struggled and his first 9 games were as good as he's ever been for us so far. I still think you have to trust the manager and coaches to know who's got it and who hasn't without just giving them trial runs where we see how they do. If somebody gets into the side it should be because the manager is confident they deserve to be there on merit, not because there's a possibility they might be better than he thinks.
Davies has never been put in a position to succeed like he was in those initial games to be fair to him. I don't really see the Davies situation as a negative. We had a young player, he showed something, we continued to try and develop him and it probably won't end up working. We sell him and move on at that point. There is nothing wrong with that imo, and if Gordon followed that it would be a tad disappointing, but not a negative at all.

Davies has never been put in a position to succeed like he was in those initial games to be fair to him. I don't really see the Davies situation as a negative. We had a young player, he showed something, we continued to try and develop him and it probably won't end up working. We sell him and move on at that point. There is nothing wrong with that imo, and if Gordon followed that it would be a tad disappointing, but not a negative at all.
Yeah that’s fair.

The only people saying the next 9 games will be all we need to judge him are either joking or complete divvys. Hard to tell the difference sometimes granted

It is because for some weird reason on here there seems to be a desire for Davies and Kenney to not make the grade and the same desire for Gordon to make the grade.

I don't understand it to be honest and I certainly think that Davies can have a long Everton future and I hope Kenny as well.

I trust the judgement of the Everton manager and coaches to decide their future rather than the critics on GOT who like nothing better than a home grown scapegoat.

Only thing people lose more than a home grown scapegoat is a home grown talent. All blues had their hopes for Barkley for many many years and he went and stabbed us in the back.

Davies has done nothing to suggest he is good enough for the premier league. Weak, slow and doesn’t have the intelligence.

The fact he is home grown is irrelevant. You’ve literally proved that by stating people want Gordon to succeed in equal measure to Davies failing except Davies has been around long enough to impose himself and show his strengths, he hasn’t. there was plenty of hope for Davies and he hasn’t lived up to it. Gordon is years behind and is at the hope stage. Should he make no impact years down the line then he will be rightfully perceived as not good enough.

DCL is another example of why it’s nothing to do with homegrown, i one of his biggest critics, and justifiably so; have had to eat words with his fantastic development. He has no ties to the city or Everton and yet people criticised.

Regardin Gordon, we haven’t seen enough to know whether he’s good enough yet. Only the staff has. All we can go off is when he does get his chance and how he imposed himself.

Only thing people lose more than a home grown scapegoat is a home grown talent. All blues had their hopes for Barkley for many many years and he went and stabbed us in the back.

Davies has done nothing to suggest he is good enough for the premier league. Weak, slow and doesn’t have the intelligence.

The fact he is home grown is irrelevant. You’ve literally proved that by stating people want Gordon to succeed in equal measure to Davies failing except Davies has been around long enough to impose himself and show his strengths, he hasn’t. there was plenty of hope for Davies and he hasn’t lived up to it. Gordon is years behind and is at the hope stage. Should he make no impact years down the line then he will be rightfully perceived as not good enough.

DCL is another example of why it’s nothing to do with homegrown, i one of his biggest critics, and justifiably so; have had to eat words with his fantastic development. He has no ties to the city or Everton and yet people criticised.

Regardin Gordon, we haven’t seen enough to know whether he’s good enough yet. Only the staff has. All we can go off is when he does get his chance and how he imposed himself.
I agree with your description of Davies. I too would love him to succeed and yes, I have always enjoyed seeing a home grown player develop. But Davies seriously lacks pace which will hold him back for sure. Worryingly I also think he loses concentration quite often during the game.
Let’s hope he kicks on, but at the moment, I think he’d struggle to get in most Premier team’s midfield.

I don't agree with your summary of Davies, I think he has been asked to play out of position in a deeper role because of injuries and a lack of quality in our midfield.
I believe his best position is in a more advanced midfield role and that is ultimately where he will settle.

DCL is another example of why it’s nothing to do with homegrown, i one of his biggest critics, and justifiably so; have had to eat words with his fantastic development.

If you've had to eat your words then the criticism may not have been just. Plenty on here were impressed enough with the raw attributes that DCL showed to see that there was a decent forward in there even when the goals weren't coming.

Davies is a player who has shown glimpses but is clearly struggling in a struggling team. That's no reason to write him off at 21 though.

I agree with your description of Davies. I too would love him to succeed and yes, I have always enjoyed seeing a home grown player develop. But Davies seriously lacks pace which will hold him back for sure. Worryingly I also think he loses concentration quite often during the game.
Let’s hope he kicks on, but at the moment, I think he’d struggle to get in most Premier team’s midfield.
Davies didn't lack pace initially and when he first came on the scene he was showing lots of energy and nice one touch passes.

He is on to his 6th manager including Unsworths and Fergusons caretaker roles which won't have helped and when the going got tough he was the only midfielder still showing for the ball, unlike the likes of Schneiderlin and Sigurdsson.

For some reason he is now slow, goes through periods of games where he can't pass it 5 yards and looks like the pressure gets to him. I think he needs to work on his athleticism and the management need to bring his confidence up. I still think theres a player there just needs to get back to where he was when he burst on the scene.

If you've had to eat your words then the criticism may not have been just. Plenty on here were impressed enough with the raw attributes that DCL showed to see that there was a decent forward in there even when the goals weren't coming.

Davies is a player who has shown glimpses but is clearly struggling in a struggling team. That's no reason to write him off at 21 though.

A player can be justifiably criticised for playing poorly, and then justifiably praised for improving and becoming better. My criticism of his lack of ability to finish, his lack of composure in front of goal was absolutely just, the wasted chances shows that.

Now he has turned right around and I can happily say that he has developed the opposite as to how I stated it. I, like most on here love Everton but I'm not a football scout or analyst, we get it wrong a lot more than they do. Doesn't mean we cant be right (or wrong) about anything!

I just dont see the attributes with Davies. I love how he never hides and you can never doubt that that his heart is in it, I'm just not sure he has the ability to match it.

I don't agree with your summary of Davies, I think he has been asked to play out of position in a deeper role because of injuries and a lack of quality in our midfield.
I believe his best position is in a more advanced midfield role and that is ultimately where he will settle.

Example of why having your own opinion is fine, immedaitely two contrasting replies!

Regarding your @blueblue, he's not shown any evidence to me that he can be creative on a consistent basis, just don't see it personally mate. Would love him to come good as he cares (which is more than most half the time) but I just don't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.