2019/20 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
...the manager should pick his best team, it’s up to youngsters to force their way in by impressing in training. Points are so important, it’s a bit daft picking youngsters if the manager doesn’t think they are good enough.
People tell me it matters all the time, but I just don't see a difference in finishing on 45 points or 50 points. We get nothing out of it either way.

Plus we pick players who aren't good enough all the time.

People tell me it matters all the time, but I just don't see a difference in finishing on 45 points or 50 points. We get nothing out of it either way.

....if we are to use the PL to trial players, do we give all of the U23s a run of games every season? It’s a massive step up. Even if you think many of the current squad aren’t good enough, the Academy is a significant standard below.

I really don’t get the shouts to play youngsters who the manager thinks are not good enough. If he thinks they are worth a go, he’ll give them a game.

if they get an opportunity, it’s up to them to grasp it. They have to earn their chance and take it when it comes along.

....if we are to use the PL to trial players, do we give all of the U23s a run of games every season? It’s a massive step up. Even if you think many of the current squad aren’t good enough, the Academy is a significant standard below.

I really don’t get the shouts to play youngsters who the manager thinks are not good enough. If he thinks they are worth a go, he’ll give them a game.

if they get an opportunity, it’s up to them to grasp it. They have to earn their chance and take it when it comes along.
Gordon has played already. I'm not suggesting anyone else just him. If he is good enough to get into a game away at West Ham then why can't he start a few other ones down the stretch here, especially when we are pretty much just playing out the string?

I agree we can't just toss out the whole u23 side but surely ones who have gotten match time should get more of it when they have futures as opposed to someone like Walcott who really doesn't.

5 points extra could mean finishing several positions higher in the league.
That would mean earning several million pounds extra.

We are the last club that treat money earned as if it didn't matter.

5 points extra could mean finishing several positions higher in the league.
That would mean earning several million pounds extra.

We are the last club that treat money earned as if it didn't matter.
Does three league places and the 7-8m that goes with it matter if we can bring through a winger that is good enough who will require no transfer fee?

Think of it this way: last summer we sold Lookman and bought Iwobi at a net cost of about 15m. Without making this into a referendum on whether either player is any good, imagine if we played Lookman last spring when we were vainly chasing 7th and as a result we finished two spots lower but also convinced Lookman he had a future here. We wouldn't have had to make the transfer loss as we still had a young, up and coming winger in the squad. It would have taken under 6 months for that kind of thing to pay off.

We are also the last club that should be thinking short term all the time.

Gordon has played already. I'm not suggesting anyone else just him. If he is good enough to get into a game away at West Ham then why can't he start a few other ones down the stretch here, especially when we are pretty much just playing out the string?

I agree we can't just toss out the whole u23 side but surely ones who have gotten match time should get more of it when they have futures as opposed to someone like Walcott who really doesn't.

...I’m not against any youngsters playing, I’m just saying they have to earn their place. That means impressing in training and when they do get game time. We have no idea what’s going on with any of these lads, we have no idea if Gordon is looking good. its important they earn their way in.

...I’m not against any youngsters playing, I’m just saying they have to earn their place. That means impressing in training and when they do get game time. We have no idea what’s going on with any of these lads, its important they for e their way in.
The earn your place thing is great, but the way I see it youngsters are the only ones who have to do it, and those with a place tend to be able to do whatever and not lose it. We've gotten so little output from out wingers for years now, yet the young ones like Vlasic, Lookman and now Gordon never seem worthy of trying out.

Does three league places and the 7-8m that goes with it matter if we can bring through a winger that is good enough who will require no transfer fee?

Think of it this way: last summer we sold Lookman and bought Iwobi at a net cost of about 15m. Without making this into a referendum on whether either player is any good, imagine if we played Lookman last spring when we were vainly chasing 7th and as a result we finished two spots lower but also convinced Lookman he had a future here. We wouldn't have had to make the transfer loss as we still had a young, up and coming winger in the squad. It would have taken under 6 months for that kind of thing to pay off.

We are also the last club that should be thinking short term all the time.

Just for clarity we sold Lookman for around 22m and bought Iwobi for around 30m. Not all of the fees were up front. I mean the gap was much closer than is being suggested.

Just for clarity we sold Lookman for around 22m and bought Iwobi for around 30m. Not all of the fees were up front. I mean the gap was much closer than is being suggested.
I think originally they may have reported 22m for Lookman but I have since seen it in the teens.

The earn your place thing is great, but the way I see it youngsters are the only ones who have to do it, and those with a place tend to be able to do whatever and not lose it. We've gotten so little output from out wingers for years now, yet the young ones like Vlasic, Lookman and now Gordon never seem worthy of trying out.

...I don’t think Vlasic was a winger and when he was tried he looked a liability when the opposition ran past him. Lookman got game time but never truly grasped the opportunity and questions have been asked about his attitude.

if they show they are better than others and are effective then the Manager will pick them. It is up to them.

...I don’t think Vlasic was a winger and when he was tried he looked a liability when the opposition ran past him. Lookman got game time but never truly grasped the opportunity and questions have been asked about his attitude.

if they show they are better than others and are effective then the Manager will pick them. It is up to them.
It's up to them but the road to getting a chance is longer and the leash usually shorter. The players who have persisted have rewarded us greatly like Calvert-Lewin but we wasted money on Tosun trying to mess that up too. At this point of the season anyone close should get ample opportunities and that is where Gordon is for these next 9 games.

It's up to them but the road to getting a chance is longer and the leash usually shorter. The players who have persisted have rewarded us greatly like Calvert-Lewin but we wasted money on Tosun trying to mess that up too. At this point of the season anyone close should get ample opportunities and that is where Gordon is for these next 9 games.

...absolutely. DCL benefited from a lack of competition and most importantly grasped his chance. He demonstrated he was more effective than others and established himself.

it’ll be a bit more difficult for Gordon because there are options wide left, but he‘ll get a chance and will have to make the most of it. He’s capable (like Coutinho) of bending one into the top corner cutting in from the left, let’s hope to see him produce.

if I see him starting, I’ll have a few quid on him to score the first goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.