2019/20 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
People tell me it matters all the time, but I just don't see a difference in finishing on 45 points or 50 points. We get nothing out of it either way.

Plus we pick players who aren't good enough all the time.
To be fair this is a very good point. Would rather see some youth than watch crabs like Siggy, Schneiderlin or Delph - surely the young lads can’t be much worse

Does three league places and the 7-8m that goes with it matter if we can bring through a winger that is good enough who will require no transfer fee?

Think of it this way: last summer we sold Lookman and bought Iwobi at a net cost of about 15m. Without making this into a referendum on whether either player is any good, imagine if we played Lookman last spring when we were vainly chasing 7th and as a result we finished two spots lower but also convinced Lookman he had a future here. We wouldn't have had to make the transfer loss as we still had a young, up and coming winger in the squad. It would have taken under 6 months for that kind of thing to pay off.

We are also the last club that should be thinking short term all the time.
I think that 7m or 8m would matter hugely to us.
This is a professional game where money is the only thing more important than points earned.

If a player is good enough then he will come through.

...the manager should pick his best team, it’s up to youngsters to force their way in by impressing in training. Points are so important, it’s a bit daft picking youngsters if the manager doesn’t think they are good enough.

Agreed, while there is anything to play for play the strongest side. If Europe becomes unobtainable blood some youngsters.

He looked impressive in the short highlights of yesterday’s closed doors game at Goodison, one assist with a good cross from the left with his right foot, and a well taken goal inside the six yard box with his left. A couple of decent runs too and at one time he looked like he was playing more central with Kean outside him.
Theres only so much managers can see in training , sometimes they have to take a chance and let them get experience in the PL so they learn to find space, create and take chances etc. I’d say he’s as ready as he’s going to be , we now need to see if he’s got that extra it takes to make the step up to PL by giving him more minutes and experience.

I'm slightly confused that some people seem to think that the likes of Kenny and Davies still can't be judged despite having over 100 senior appearances under their belts, but 9 games will tell us all we need to know about Gordon.

Status
Not open for further replies.