Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect - have a read back over my posts instead investing your time in the bile above. You are so far off the mark it's incredible!

I am not hiding behind the "When it's safe" to do so & at no point did I say it's a good idea, the point in my above post is the FA are, the solution is a vague notion of how football might return, no one knows when this will be realistically & I have mentioned on here for quite some time that I think football could be a 8 - 12 months away & there is no way behind close doors will happen in reality (and outlined all the reasons why).

Personally, I don't think the season will be finished but what is clear is there is still clutching at straw attempts to do so, from the FA, the Bundesliga who revealed a similar plan this morning & UEFA who continue to say seasons will be finished (at least they are now talking deadlines).

What I have said here (on the 12th March) - the plan remains to finish the season, this was in the context of a one month break from sport being predicted which clearly isn't the case now. My other main point is that whether the league is voided, finished in delayed capacity or anything else, they will all come with their individual challenges, legal, logistical or timing.

To be fair that is a pretty fair summary, and while we have disagreed on aspects fairly consistent on what you have said.

The only way to be certain of avoiding legal action was to finish the season by Mid May. As soon as you deviate from that, you are opening yourself up to potential litigation action. Not every scenario plays out equally though and not every situation has equal risk.

The other worthwhile point here, is the situation is very changeable. Even since March 20th we have seen a remarkably sharp uplift in deaths. This will have radically shifted thoughts.

My own take on this is that we will see a journey towards cancelling the season. Firstly because it will help in the ensuing legal battle to ensure that the league looked committed to trying to finish the season (and the inability to do so was out of their hands). This is about as strong a defence as you can get, and you need to be putting the wheels in motion at this stage. Secondly because, at least for some teams that will be their desire to do so.

As you say the behind closed doors stuff is true madness. This will not be signed off. There are a multitude of problems. I mean just one is, if you start again behind closed doors, within a very short space of time the league will be cancelled again because players will contract it. It is far more pronounced and dangerous at this stage than it was at the start of March. Far more people have it, it's spreading far quicker. And players caught it in the early March context. It would be a farce and a disaster.

I mean imagine if a team came down with it, they are going to legitimately say the results from games in that period should be voided I'd expect them to take it to court as well. They could well win. It's a pandoras box situation where it's lose lose all round.

The discussion is now essentially whether we prioritise a 10 game season, or whether we prioritise trying to finish 38 games. They are the two angles here. I don't think either position is inherently moral, but one is financial and legally much better. The longer this goes on, the clearer this becomes.

I think talk of trying to finish the season behind closed doors, flies directly in the face

quite possibly
Probability score = 100%. Backed up with full RS embedded media outrage campaign. 60 minute TV documentary, full add campaign in tabloids and associated book launch.

How ironic for a club and its horrible fans, who have historically claimed throughout the years, that it was never their fault. To have this happen to them. This time it really isn't their fault - they have done nothing wrong, however they will be robbed of the title due to circumstances beyond their control.

Karma's a bitch - ain't it?

Last edited:
Probability score = 100%. Backed up with full RS embedded media outrage campaign. 60 minute TV documentary, full add campaign in tabloids and associated book launch.

How ironic for a club and its horrible fans, who have historically claimed throughout the years, that it was never their fault. To have this happen to them. This time it really isn't their fault - they have done nothing wrong, however they will be robbed of the title due to circumstances beyond their control.

Karma's a bitch - ain't it?

Paul Tomkins will be sharpening his Crayola's as we speak...….

With all due respect - have a read back over my posts instead investing your time in the bile above. You are so far off the mark it's incredible!

I am not hiding behind the "When it's safe" to do so & at no point did I say it's a good idea, the point in my above post is the FA are, the solution is a vague notion of how football might return, no one knows when this will be realistically & I have mentioned on here for quite some time that I think football could be a 8 - 12 months away & there is no way behind close doors will happen in reality (and outlined all the reasons why).

Personally, I don't think the season will be finished but what is clear is there is still clutching at straw attempts to do so, from the FA, the Bundesliga who revealed a similar plan this morning & UEFA who continue to say seasons will be finished (at least they are now talking deadlines).

What I have said here (on the 12th March) - the plan remains to finish the season, this was in the context of a one month break from sport being predicted which clearly isn't the case now. My other main point is that whether the league is voided, finished in delayed capacity or anything else, they will all come with their individual challenges, legal, logistical or timing.
If the FA try to restart football in the coming months, expect the government to intervene. I believe there is no way they can make such a momentous decision, without government say so.

If the FA try to restart football in the coming months, expect the government to intervene. I believe there is no way they can make such a momentous decision, without government say so.

football is done. They all know it. They have to keep it relevant somehow so all this stupid idea's in the press are just that

Couldnt agree more - there is no way any industry, never mind one with the high profile of football will restart without the blessing of Government & I would suspect by that point, it will be based on Guidelines established globally on getting back on track post Coronavirus.

Where I do there is a chance of this "Georges Park Model" actually happening, is as society returns to the new normal, there could be a long period of time, where life gets back to normal(ish) with weddings, workforces, school and all return to normality & there isn't an abnormal strain in the NHS but there is no clearance for Large mass gatherings, stadiums in particular. If this is the case, no doubt the FA / UEFA will all be looking at alternatives, but that is probably 12 months away & certainly wont be an express model to get this season done.

Status
Not open for further replies.