Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if this season seriously over runs, (fairly likely) and they can't fit those cup matches in, does English football lose a spot? I love the FA Cup and hope it gets completed but money runs football now not history and sentiment. Also, I'm clutching at straws, any straws, for us to get into Europe next season!

There is not going to be another ball kicked in the 2019/20 season.

The conversation at present is about finishing this season.
Soon, the conversation will change, it will be about when the next season will be able to start.
It seems Britain is behind most European countries in taking actions to deal with this crisis.
I would guess there is zero chance of the next season starting anywhere near on time, if the finish of this one is shoehorned in as well there will be mayhem.

In Ireland all restaurants, bars, schools, colleges are shut.
All sporting activities of all kinds cancelled.
This is being replicated across Europe.

The only potential get out I see Liverpool having (or the main one) is if it ends up being suspended until say January of next year and it starts to make season to just finish this season. Thats the curveball that worries me, that the entirety of this year is written off. Thats when people are going to start saying "we can't do a whole season, why not finish this one?" However if we are ready to go in July or whatever, it would make a lot more sense just to have a normal pre-season and have a full season completed.

The only potential get out I see Liverpool having (or the main one) is if it ends up being suspended until say January of next year and it starts to make season to just finish this season. Thats the curveball that worries me, that the entirety of this year is written off. Thats when people are going to start saying "we can't do a whole season, why not finish this one?" However if we are ready to go in July or whatever, it would make a lot more sense just to have a normal pre-season and have a full season completed.

I am shaking my head at all this, I just cannot see how or when this season can continue and is it with full attendances or behind closed gates.

Honestly if it lasts the rest of the year, the economic fallout will essentially render the Premier League in its current form defunct.

No way will that type of money be thrown around with the ensuing mass job losses and homelessness etc (or maybe it will but we won't be able to afford the tickets or sky subscriptions).

I am shaking my head at all this, I just cannot see how or when this season can continue and is it with full attendances or behind closed gates.

I don't think this season will re-start. The point I was making was more, if the season/football is postponed until say the end of 2020, there will be an argument that a whole season will not be possible, and within that context it makes more sense to complete the rest of this season.

The big problem will be contracts. They would need to find a way to extend all contracts for 1 year.

I don't think this season will re-start. The point I was making was more, if the season/football is postponed until say the end of 2020, there will be an argument that a whole season will not be possible, and within that context it makes more sense to complete the rest of this season.

The big problem will be contracts. They would need to find a way to extend all contracts for 1 year.

Which contracts do you mean? If it is players I can think of a number of our players who can just sod off and find wages somewhere else.

Really? Just null and void this season then? That would be fantastic in one obvious way!! But a shame for some other clubs

Tough. It’d be a greater shame if hundreds upon thousands more people died unnecessarily because we had to let a multi billion pound corporate entity lift a trophy.

Listen, Big Red will be “awarded” the title anyway, that’s not my point. My point is that absolutely no more football will be played in the 2019/20 season. No promotions, no relegations. It’s done.

Honestly if it lasts the rest of the year, the economic fallout will essentially render the Premier League in its current form defunct.

No way will that type of money be thrown around with the ensuing mass job losses and homelessness etc (or maybe it will but we won't be able to afford the tickets or sky subscriptions).

Yes I agree. The PL are very quickly going to be in an enormous black hole.

It's fine BT and sky saying they won't discount prices, but how long until Pubs and subscribers just start cancelling. Likewise big sponsors like banks are taking a talking. Kit retailers are going to be massively down too. I mean for a start Liverpools deal with Adidas is heavily incentivised, they will not be hitting any of the targets to move beyond even the basic (and quite small) initial payments. Thats best case, worst case is they withdraw altogether when they see their own brand is in big trouble.

The PL is in enormous trouble, as in truth it's most exposed. It's most dependant upon sponsorships and TV money and has the biggest contracts.

That being said, at a practical level, if football re-commences in 2020 at a period where it's difficult to complete a full season there is going to be enormous pressure to potentially just finish this one. Or maybe not, maybe the conversation will have moved on? It's hard to avoid that though.

Which contracts do you mean? If it is players I can think of a number of our players who can just sod off and find wages somewhere else.

Well the contracts that are due to expire in June.

I find it very hard to believe this season can resume with wholly different squads. That is the counter argument of having the cut off point of the end of June, and voiding it if it can't be completed by then.

Well the contracts that are due to expire in June.

I find it very hard to believe this season can resume with wholly different squads. That is the counter argument of having the cut off point of the end of June, and voiding it if it can't be completed by then.

None of ours like Niasse, can just do one.

Tough. It’d be a greater shame if hundreds upon thousands more people died unnecessarily because we had to let a multi billion pound corporate entity lift a trophy.

Listen, Big Red will be “awarded” the title anyway, that’s not my point. My point is that absolutely no more football will be played in the 2019/20 season. No promotions, no relegations. It’s done.
No arguments from me on why we should end the season now, unfortunately some people running the game seem to only see the £ signs. It's disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.