Leadership (consoling Son) Poll

What should Coleman have done?

• Make every effort to console Son

• Focused on his own teammate and club

• Stay quiet

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a situation has developed where ref's find it easier to make contentious decisions against us as they know they won't get the flak that they would get from RS and several others.

I do find it shocking that our players were consoling Son and even entered in the Spurs dressing room to do so.

I would understand if the decision was based on mutual respect for sportsmanship and all that but that little cheat was diving and given away "niggly" fouls. So no I don't support Coleman's decision to console Son. It's not only a sign low mental toughness but poor decision making in the scheme of things.

Seamus is clearly an empathic guy and was trying to do the right thing. I am sure he also supports Andre but that doesn't make headlines.

The urge for him to go hysterical and scream in his face or head butt their physio in a rage likely only represents fans' own either unmet emotional needs or a projection of one's own anger towards another human or distress about a player in our team suffering a truly awful injury. I felt like crying at the time, I felt a weird feeling like grief. My weird feelings or Digne's screaming changed nothing.

Wanting other people to scream at other people when something bad has happened to another person is a probably a bit weird, although I definitely understand how I, like other people, might think the same myself at times.

this poll is crap.
Coleman, who suffered a leg break, went in to have a few words with Son, hardly going out of his way to console him.
Neither Coleman nor Everton promoted the fact that he did.
Pochiteno publicized it in an effort to excuse Sons behaviour
Colemans actions dont mean he wasn't focused on his own team mates or club.

I think it's reasonable to think that Son was guilty of a rash, hot headed challenge that resulted in Gomes's ankle injury.
I also think it's reasonable to assume that all players on both sides were shook by the injury. Coleman offering support was the decent thing to do.
He wasn't to know that Spurs would appeal the card and win.
He wasn't to know that the media would show more concern for Son than Gomes.

It's hard to argue with this, it now seems a matter of time before either the Turks or your angry mob stab and burn me and I can have no complaints.

I read this as stab and bum me. An understandable mistake given that it's @Bungle

And Coleman did nothing wrong. The way some blues are crying about this comes across as the petulant entitlement of a spoilt child. If things aren't going your way then scream, stamp and ignore all reason - pathetic.

We're down the wrong end of the table cos we're crap at football, not cos players aren't shouty enough.

I think Son went to injure him. I don’t think he intended a leg break but then that’s the reality of it.

Petulance, rage etc.
No idea how you can look at that challenge and think that. 99 times out of 100 a tackle like that does no damage whatsoever. Yes it was petulant and an intentional foul, the type of which you see quite a lot in matches, but no violent intent apparent whatsoever.

Ive not really said anything about it until today.

My first reaction when Coleman was off consoling Son was utter bewilderment. Pick a top player in the league who has been considered a winning captain throughout a period of success...Terry, Keane, Gerrard, Vieira etc.

Could anyone imagine one of those players going into the opposition changing room and consoling a player who had reacted to something then chased a teammate and hacked him down from behind causing serious injury? Weve seen on camera how Keane stood up for teammates...our own Duncan Ferguson, Tim Cahill or others would never have done this imo

My next reaction was that if I was in Gomes situation and i had been injured in such a way, would i want my captain to be off consoling the opposition player...or to be going ballistic and getting in the fourth officials face + going in front of the cameras after the game and calling out the opposition team and being vocal in his support of me and the total injustice. Even using my injury to call out the VAR penalty and biased decisions against the club.

For me, and this is a personal view which i appreciate others may disagree with, I think this attitude of Colemans is nothing short of a disgrace and a total dereliction of duty to a teammate and to be honest a quite pitiful example of captaincy.

I understand hes also had a bad injury, i consider that to be totally irrelevant in this situation. Hes downplayed the whole incident by his behaviour and the narrative has become all about Son.

There is no leadership in this team and without a leader with a winning mentality the team is like a house of cards.

Brands doesnt only need to sign a new spine of a team for Silva, he needs to sign a backbone!

Yes I agree. I don't get all the sympathy towards Son. One of our best players is now our for the season and Son faces no punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.