Goats squad analysis thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you’re immisinterpreting what I’m saying.

If we finished 7th, we lost the Coca Cola final and we drew the fa cup final & were at a penalty shoot out (just about to begin). Would you consider that a good season ... at that exact moment.
Yes because I’d say 7th was a good season anyway for now. All I’m saying is I don’t really see an unsuccessful cup run as a big deal. I don’t think of the season we got to to two semis under Martinez as a good season, if we’d gone on to win one I would think differently.

Cup competitions don't really give any indication of how good you are or how well you're progressing though. I'd love to win a cup, obviously, but if we draw City away in the 3rd round and lose it's no more sign of progress than beating 3 lower league teams, a relegation battler, and then losing to them at Wembley.

Mourinho aims for a cup win in his first season, usually league cup if i remember correctly.

Breeds confidence.

Why is it? Apart from ‘a day out at Wembley’ what’s good about getting to a cup final and getting absolutely thrashed? What does it achieve? If you win the cup it’s fantastic, if you get beat 6-0 it’s not. Seems a pretty logical argument to me.
The journey mate. Its all about the journey. And let's be honest, we're not getting turned over 6 nil in a final. Have faith.

The journey mate. Its all about the journey. And let's be honest, we're not getting turned over 6 nil in a final. Have faith.
Nah. Getting to a cup final and losing is like going on holiday and then your hotel saying they double booked and you have to go home. The journeys only good because of the anticipation of what’s at the end of it. If the answer to that is nothing then you might aswell stay at home.

Nah. Getting to a cup final and losing is like going on holiday and then your hotel saying they double booked and you have to go home. The journeys only good because of the anticipation of what’s at the end of it. If the answer to that is nothing then you might aswell stay at home.
So. Because we don't know if we'd win a final, why bother? Sounds like wham to me...

So. Because we don't know if we'd win a final, why bother? Sounds like wham to me...
Read it again. It was specifically about getting to a final and losing. So we do know whether we’d win, and the answer is no, we wouldn’t. Of course I want us to WIN a trophy, that goes without saying. The whole point is that I’m not remotely bothered about getting to a final if we lose it. It wouldn’t affect how I saw the season, because it’s no different to losing in the quarters. I’d rather win a derby than be losing finalists in a cup, no question at all.

Read it again. It was specifically about getting to a final and losing. So we do know whether we’d win, and the answer is no, we wouldn’t. Of course I want us to WIN a trophy, that goes without saying. The whole point is that I’m not remotely bothered about getting to a final if we lose it. It wouldn’t affect how I saw the season, because it’s no different to losing in the quarters. I’d rather win a derby than be losing finalists in a cup, no question at all.

That's like saying I wouldn't want to play 38 league games and not win it. Anyway, strange initial comment as it states the obvious really...

That's like saying I wouldn't want to play 38 league games and not win it. Anyway, strange initial comment as it states the obvious really...
I have no idea what you’re finding so hard to understand about this but you’ve somehow completely misunderstood the whole conversation. I can’t be bothered going over it again, but me ‘stating the obvious’ is the whole point. I was answering the question ‘would you be happy losing in a cup final’ with ‘no’. If your answer would be yes, you’re weird. If your answer would be no , you agree with me, and are arguing with yourself.

I don't think you're grasping his point. The initial comment was effectively "would you think it was a good season if we lost in a cup final". He's saying no he wouldn't. because it's not an achievement to lose a cup final. I have him down as totally right.

I don't think you're grasping his point. The initial comment was effectively "would you think it was a good season if we lost in a cup final". He's saying no he wouldn't. because it's not an achievement to lose a cup final. I have him down as totally right.

It's not an achievement to reach a cup final. It only becomes an achievement if you win the final.

Interesting approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.