Goats squad analysis thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I don't think anybody would complain at achieving 7th. I certainly wouldn't.

The point I made was that people would be claiming that to be progress. I don't believe that we're good enough to finish 6th as yet, however I feel we're too good to be finishing 8th. 7th is exactly where we should finish, if he gets higher i'll be delighted, if he gets lower then he should rightly get belters. He's had the resources to cement that 'best of the rest' spot.

The real gauge for me will be how close we finish to the top six and how we do in the cup competitions alongside all that.
Cup competitions don't really give any indication of how good you are or how well you're progressing though. I'd love to win a cup, obviously, but if we draw City away in the 3rd round and lose it's no more sign of progress than beating 3 lower league teams, a relegation battler, and then losing to them at Wembley.

Question - if we finish 7th with 2 cup finals ... one guaranteed loss and the other decided in a coin toss (not literally)... would people be happy with that?

I would.
I'd be 'happy' (relatively speaking) with finishing 7th regardless. Have no interest whatsoever in a guaranteed loss in a final. Winning a cup is great, a 'cup run' is only good for the fact that winning the individual games on the way makes you happy. If you don't win at the end of it it's not really a big deal. I'd rather get knocked out early than our guaranteed loss be the sort of humiliation Watford endured last season.

Cup competitions don't really give any indication of how good you are or how well you're progressing though. I'd love to win a cup, obviously, but if we draw City away in the 3rd round and lose it's no more sign of progress than beating 3 lower league teams, a relegation battler, and then losing to them at Wembley.

I understand and agree to an extent but silverware is a key measure for any manager at a top club and we should be no different. To win any cup you'll likely have to beat one or more of the top teams on the way (unless you get an extremely fortunate draw).

In the last 15 years, Wigan beat City in the FA Cup final. Portsmouth beat United on their way to winning the FA Cup. Swansea won the league cup beating Chelsea and Liverpool on the way. Birmingham beat Arsenal in the league cup final and Boro had to beat Arsenal and Spurs on their way to the league cup too.

If they can do it, I don't see why we can't. I'm just interested to see how we get on in the cups after the disgrace last season and to see how close we can run United and co for 6th.

I'd be 'happy' (relatively speaking) with finishing 7th regardless. Have no interest whatsoever in a guaranteed loss in a final. Winning a cup is great, a 'cup run' is only good for the fact that winning the individual games on the way makes you happy. If you don't win at the end of it it's not really a big deal. I'd rather get knocked out early than our guaranteed loss be the sort of humiliation Watford endured last season.
I am from another planet I think .I cannot see the guaranteed loss in a final, who knows who the opponent would be and if it is your day you win .Of course I would settle for 7th but happy ?no and I don't think the management would be either. There is no way Mr Moshiri is hoping for plucky Everton to keep treading water he wants us to progress ,that is why he invested ,not because Bill convinced him we are a family club. Do not miss the fact he is in it for the money and glory is the way to get more.

I am from another planet I think .I cannot see the guaranteed loss in a final, who knows who the opponent would be and if it is your day you win .Of course I would settle for 7th but happy ?no and I don't think the management would be either. There is no way Mr Moshiri is hoping for plucky Everton to keep treading water he wants us to progress ,that is why he invested ,not because Bill convinced him we are a family club. Do not miss the fact he is in it for the money and glory is the way to get more.
Well that's why I said 'relatively speaking'. I wouldn't be overjoyed with 7th but in the real world it would represent a decent return. Moshiri can 'hope' all he wants for glory, but if he thinks we're going to start winning league titles by selling Gueyes and replacing them with Gbamins he's got a rude awakening coming. The squad has stood still from last season, we haven't invested anywhere near enough to expect us to fly up the table. I'm not having a pop at Moshiri there, just saying it how it is. Not one member of that top 6 looked at our business this summer and thought damn we'll do well to fend them off, i'd put a lot of money on it.

Question - if we finish 7th with 2 cup finals ... one guaranteed loss and the other decided in a coin toss (not literally)... would people be happy with that?

I would.

Yeah, across the whole season, even if we lost both cup finals. You'd have to view that as a very decent season.

Again, I don't think anybody would complain at achieving 7th. I certainly wouldn't.

The point I made was that people would be claiming that to be progress. I don't believe that we're good enough to finish 6th as yet, however I feel we're too good to be finishing 8th. 7th is exactly where we should finish, if he gets higher i'll be delighted, if he gets lower then he should rightly get belters. He's had the resources to cement that 'best of the rest' spot.

The real gauge for me will be how close we finish to the top six and how we do in the cup competitions alongside all that.

to be honest this is the best chance we have had in a LONG time to break into the top 6, not saying we ourselves have improved massively from last season but...

United under ole are a shambles, he is a terrible terrible manager and his form since he took over permanently shows that ( I don't expect him to last past Christmas )

Chelsea- started the season poorly, lost their best player, unproven manager they will struggle

Arsenal- amazing attacking players in aubamayang and lacazette ( unsure on pepe yet ) but their defence is absolutely shocking, and they are so weak in midfield with that xhaka

if we can keep our team fit, and get a CB in in January in case of an injury to yerry or keane and hope kean starts firing we have as good as chance as any to mix in the top 6

to be honest this is the best chance we have had in a LONG time to break into the top 6, not saying we ourselves have improved massively from last season but...

United under ole are a shambles, he is a terrible terrible manager and his form since he took over permanently shows that ( I don't expect him to last past Christmas )

Chelsea- started the season poorly, lost their best player, unproven manager they will struggle

Arsenal- amazing attacking players in aubamayang and lacazette ( unsure on pepe yet ) but their defence is absolutely shocking, and they are so weak in midfield with that xhaka

if we can keep our team fit, and get a CB in in January in case of an injury to yerry or keane and hope kean starts firing we have as good as chance as any to mix in the top 6

Completely agree. All the more reason to demand more from the team.

Strange comment.

I understand and agree to an extent but silverware is a key measure for any manager at a top club and we should be no different. To win any cup you'll likely have to beat one or more of the top teams on the way (unless you get an extremely fortunate draw).

In the last 15 years, Wigan beat City in the FA Cup final. Portsmouth beat United on their way to winning the FA Cup. Swansea won the league cup beating Chelsea and Liverpool on the way. Birmingham beat Arsenal in the league cup final and Boro had to beat Arsenal and Spurs on their way to the league cup too.

If they can do it, I don't see why we can't. I'm just interested to see how we get on in the cups after the disgrace last season and to see how close we can run United and co for 6th.
Our problem isn't beating the "big boys" it's trying to get past the banana skins. Like when we beat Chelsea in 2010-11 only to lose to a poor Reading team at home or losing to Wigan. In the cup I'd pit us against any of the big teams on home soil, I'm always more worried when we play similar or lesser teams.

Why is it? Apart from ‘a day out at Wembley’ what’s good about getting to a cup final and getting absolutely thrashed? What does it achieve? If you win the cup it’s fantastic, if you get beat 6-0 it’s not. Seems a pretty logical argument to me.

Getting to a final is better than not getting to a final.lol

Getting to a final is better than not getting to a final.lol
To be fair I can see where he's coming from there. The original post talks about being happy about getting to a final even if it's guaranteed that we lose it. I can definitely see the argument that getting to a final which you know you will definitely lose is pointless. I can honestly say I don't remember the 2009 final any more fondly than I do any other cup game we've lost since. The aim is to win the cup, if you don't win it I don't really see what difference it makes when you get knocked out. I'd agree that if I knew we were guaranteed not to win it anyway I'd take a 1-0 loss in the 3rd round over a battering in the final.

To be fair I can see where he's coming from there. The original post talks about being happy about getting to a final even if it's guaranteed that we lose it. I can definitely see the argument that getting to a final which you know you will definitely lose is pointless. I can honestly say I don't remember the 2009 final any more fondly than I do any other cup game we've lost since. The aim is to win the cup, if you don't win it I don't really see what difference it makes when you get knocked out. I'd agree that if I knew we were guaranteed not to win it anyway I'd take a 1-0 loss in the 3rd round over a battering in the final.
At least somebody understands it!

I would love us to get to a final but ONLY because I’d then be thinking we could win the thing. If I knew we couldn’t then who cares? Makes no difference.

I think you’re immisinterpreting what I’m saying.

If we finished 7th, we lost the Coca Cola final and we drew the fa cup final & were at a penalty shoot out (just about to begin). Would you consider that a good season ... at that exact moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.