Confirmed Signing Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched a couple of their games just to see if henry got a run.

Iwobi played mainly as a 10 and, in the games I saw, was their best player by a mile, along with Ndidi who was also very good.
Think they listed him as maybe left sided, but he definitely played in the middle. Agreed. He was also terrific. Think our left sided inside forward position will suit him well.

A section of our fans beating the confidence out of our young players is getting stupid now. Tom Davies gets horrendous criticism, and he's not even 21 yet. They're going to make mistakes. Some will improve and some won't, but making it absolutely obvious to the players themselves won't do them any favours at all. Hoping things can change in the future, or it's not even worth trying to play any of them, and just start buying players already in their prime
The 'fans' who moan like this, as distinct from supporters who support players, are then likely to moan and bleat that 'you never see the players around the pub/ground/chippy anymore'

I mean - as if the players would want to mix with people so ready to highlight their every fault.

The 'fans' who moan like this, as distinct from supporters who support players, are then likely to moan and bleat that 'you never see the players around the pub/ground/chippy anymore'

I mean - as if the players would want to mix with people so ready to highlight their every fault.
Regardless of his age,Davis is not good enough and he hasn't shown enough in the last two years to suggest this will change.

Richarlison, Kean, Iwobi, DCL is a stupidly fantastic U23 quartet of attacking talent with totally different roles. Goalscoring wide forward, pure striker, creative attacker/link-up player, target-man. Iwobi is a great new part of this. The attack is easily the part of our squad in the best shape for the future.

Like it was any different 40 years ago. Was it Kendall or Catterick we went for in the car park?

Sounds like you want us all to sit on this forum clapping along. Football isn't like that. We are going to have different opinions. If someone doesn't rate a player then they can say so. It's not North Korea.

Cringing reading this thread back

He's a good player who adds much needed creativity to the team.

Much better business than throwing £80m at palace for zaha.
Thing is with Zaha, it was far too much money and he might have attitude issues, signed a new contract with Palace but wants to leave, if he had one good season with us chances are a CL would sniff around and he might do the same to us.

Iwobi is a good deal and he looks a talent that needs to be developed, like Richarlison

I remember Peter Reid not exactly being outstanding until his later twenties.
I like Tom but he hasn't kicked on since his debut.
He hasn't filled out and seems to lack the physically needed in this league. He gets knocked off the ball too easily and because of this he struggles with his passing accuracy
Hope I'm wrong like

Like it was any different 40 years ago. Was it Kendall or Catterick we went for in the car park?

Sounds like you want us all to sit on this forum clapping along. Football isn't like that. We are going to have different opinions. If someone doesn't rate a player then they can say so. It's not North Korea.
catterick at blackpool

I think we dodged a bullet getting this lad instead of Zaha.

We were not Zaha's first choice club so who's to say he wouldn't have done the same thing to us in twelve months time? But if he did stay he will be 27 in November so a player who's game is based on pace will devalue considerably at the end of a long contract.

Iwobi is younger, better at tracking back and will appreciate in value. Yes he has faults, but he is young enough to learn. The good thing about him is that he is not afraid to take players on and he will get supporters off their seats.

As for value. He is a direct replacement for Lookman according to MS, so if we got £22 Mil for him and are spending an initial £28 Mil for Iwobi than you are looking at a net spend of £6 million for this kid.

Ultimately if we do end up paying more in fees it means that the club and him have been more successful.
If we want to push on and sign complete proven quality players then we wont be any players first choice id not imagine, but that's fine because why would we be?

At the minute all we can do is sign very good young talent and offer them football, then we are first choice.

I remember Peter Reid not exactly being outstanding until his later twenties.
Fair point - but Reid always showed enough to reassure you there was a quality player in there. I suppose it could be argued Reid became a great player because he was allowed to develop out of the spotlight when Bolton were relegated before moving to us, whereas Davies has been left to struggle when he should be loaned out to establish if he will make the grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.