Confirmed Signing Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have never agreed when people say this. Homegrown players get much more time and patience with fans, there is always a goodwill toward them.
People were exasperated with Sandro very quickly, and yet DCL (counting him as homegrown) was the next Harry Kane, despite being equally as poor.
I think Sandro lost most of his goodwill after somehow managing not to score against the Austrian farmer. DCL at least has some attributes for a decent lone CF in this league. Sandro was always going to struggle to be a lone forward.

Have never agreed when people say this. Homegrown players get much more time and patience with fans, there is always a goodwill toward them.
People were exasperated with Sandro very quickly, and yet DCL (counting him as homegrown) was the next Harry Kane, despite being equally as poor.
You only have to look at the threads on here for DCL, Davies, Kenny, Holgate, Lookman and Dowell Macca. They get absolutely horrendous criticism in there. You get the odd poster saying they are better than what they really are, but the majority of support they get is people basically calling for a bit of patience and the need to give them time. But the level of criticism completely overwhelms this.

It is different at actual games when the fans are generally supportive. But on internet forums and social media they get absolutely hammered. I'll stand by those comments all day mate.

Cringing reading this thread back

He's a good player who adds much needed creativity to the team.

Much better business than throwing £80m at palace for zaha.

Should be an interesting read next May. Have a feeling the vaults will be open a lot.

I think we dodged a bullet getting this lad instead of Zaha.

We were not Zaha's first choice club so who's to say he wouldn't have done the same thing to us in twelve months time? But if he did stay he will be 27 in November so a player who's game is based on pace will devalue considerably at the end of a long contract.

Iwobi is younger, better at tracking back and will appreciate in value. Yes he has faults, but he is young enough to learn. The good thing about him is that he is not afraid to take players on and he will get supporters off their seats.

As for value. He is a direct replacement for Lookman according to MS, so if we got £22 Mil for him and are spending an initial £28 Mil for Iwobi than you are looking at a net spend of £6 million for this kid.

Ultimately if we do end up paying more in fees it means that the club and him have been more successful.
If you call dodging a bullet missing out on a chance to qualify for the champions league, then I fully agree with you mate.

I think Iwobi will turn in to a very good signing for us and will give us more options on match days. But Zaha would have taken us to a different level. Given that 3 of the top 6 are in transition this year, there is an opportunity that could make it easier to get top 4. It's a missed opportunity now because we failed to bring in a player of Zaha's quality.

A section of our fans beating the confidence out of our young players is getting stupid now. Tom Davies gets horrendous criticism, and he's not even 21 yet. They're going to make mistakes. Some will improve and some won't, but making it absolutely obvious to the players themselves won't do them any favours at all. Hoping things can change in the future, or it's not even worth trying to play any of them, and just start buying players already in their prime

I am going to Palace tomorrow and intend to cheer on the lads we play (which likely will not include many new lads in the starting XI) rather than moaning about the ones we don’t. I apologise in advance to anyone sitting near me who may take offence at such a ridiculously happy-clappy apologist approach. I maybe getting this fan stuff wrong but there you go, we can’t all be perfect.

Little cryarse

Seven games, six starts. Played mostly as a number 10.

Think Henry may have made one sub appearance.
I watched a couple of their games just to see if henry got a run.

Iwobi played mainly as a 10 and, in the games I saw, was their best player by a mile, along with Ndidi who was also very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.