• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we lack the players in all honesty, DCL helps as he softens up the opposition, but we lack a bit in physicality and battling in my opinion, also we lack clinical firepower. In these games if you get 2-3 opportunities you have to take them. Spurs Vs Brighton last night is the perfect example, Eriksen was the difference, we would be drawing that game at our stage of development.

These teams are going to dog, kick and grock you, make it uncomfortable and wont let you trigger your quality. They will be tight and try and contain you with 10 men behind the ball and you might only get 2-3 chances. Battling, winning that battle and triggering your quality and taking one of your 2-3 chances is a must, not sure they are our key attributes, counter attacking yes, but not the former.

These teams only route to success is making it difficult for better teams and containing them, we haven't developed through that yet.

Burnley did it to Chelsea last night.

Allardyce turned is into one of those teams last season, hence the footy that made your eyes bleed, but points on the board.

It`s incredibly difficult for any team to play against a team that permanently plays 9 men behind the ball.

As you said, players like Eriksen and a few from City are the type of players that can score goals against teams, that put nine men behind the ball etc.

However, these players are also amongst the most expensive to buy for that reason.

Absolutely ludicrous to call a draw with a team above us in the league ‘unacceptable’. Proper kopite behaviour to be demanding we should win every game against teams who don’t have our history, have a word with yourself.
Yes we can’t win every game I accept that. But we were 7th at the time and Watford were 12th. It was a game we should have won, especially how we started the game.

The half a season boys are right IMO.

I mean if you consider the good results we have had, its literally 3 games.

I think half a season is a bit kind to be honest.

Exactly MG. I wish it was different but there is just no getting away from the fact that we had a shambolic run of almost half a season where we amassed just 15 points out of a possible 51. There were a few frustrating results and performances prior to week 14 too so it probably is over half a season as you say. Three recent good performances is great and just what we needed but cannot change the fact of how poor the season has been as a whole.

Just to put it to bed completely for anyone still doubting it, here is the Premier League Table as of the 2nd December 2018 - Week 14 - https://bleacherreport.com/articles...standings-after-sundays-premier-league-scores

Premier League Standings (Games played, goal difference, points)

Week 14 - 2nd December 2018

1. Manchester City: 14, 12, +37, 38

2. Liverpool: 14, 11, +22, 36

3. Chelsea: 14, 9, +19, 31

4. Arsenal: 14, 9, +14, 30

5. Tottenham Hotspur: 14, 10, +10, 30

6. Everton: 14, 6, +4, 22

7. Manchester United: 14, 6, -1, 22

8. Leicester City: 14, 6, +3, 21

9. Bournemouth: 14, 6, +2, 20

10. Watford: 14, 6, -2, 20

11. Brighton & Hove Albion: 14, 5, -4, 18

12. Wolverhampton Wanderers: 14, 4, -4, 16

13. West Ham United: 14, 4, -5, 15

14. Crystal Palace: 14, 3, -7, 12

15. Newcastle United: 14, 3, -8, 12

16. Cardiff City: 14, 3, -14, 11

17. Huddersfield Town: 14, 2, -15, 10

18. Southampton: 14, 1, -14, 9

19. Burnley: 14, 2, -16, 9

20. Fulham: 14, 2, -21, 8

And here is the Premier League table as of week 30 in March 2019 i.e 17 games/ 51 points later - https://bleacherreport.com/articles...k-30-scores-updated-2019-premier-league-table

Premier League Standings (Games played, goal difference, points)

Week 30 - 9th March 2019

1. Manchester City 30, +58, 74

2. Liverpool 29, +49, 70

3. Tottenham Hotspur 30, +25, 61

4. Manchester United 29, +20, 58

5. Arsenal 29, +22, 57

6. Chelsea 28, +19, 56

7. Wolverhampton Wanderers 29, +2, 43

8. Watford 30, -2, 43

9. West Ham United 30, -6, 39

10. Leicester 30, -4, 38

11. Everton 30, -1, 37

12. Bournemouth 30, -13, 37

13. Newcastle United 30, -9, 34

14. Crystal Palace 30, -5, 33

15. Brighton 29, -10, 33

16. Southampton 30, -16, 30

17. Burnley 29, -21, 30

18. Cardiff City 30, -30, 28

19. Fulham 30, -40, 17

20. Huddersfield Town 30, -38, 14

Last edited:

Your argument rests on the basis that this is a very good squad, when clearly we have almost a very good first team - when all are available and there to be called on. Add to that we are minus a striker who can score regularly - a deficiency Silva has had to manage with all season. In short: it's not a squad that we should expect to break into the top 6 with...which is the only place we can go at the moment.

Then there's the question of what the DoF handed Silva to do this season after the last two failed managers had shorn us of any sort of method or style of play. We now have that methodology in place. We have our identity back as a team and the players are buying into that, as per Coleman's interview post United game.

• Starting XI age down
  • Good style of football in place, but pragmatic when need be
  • Ability to beat top 6 clubs confirmed
  • On course for a reasonable 50 odd point tally
  • Plan to add a striker and to address other key positions for next season in place
I just dont see how much more Silva could be expected reasonably to do. It feels like you've painted yourself into a corner on this. I know that feeling well enough.

Think you’re pretty spot on mate, just think a lot of people are still angry over Milwall and the fact that we haven’t re-established ourselves at 7th minimum.

I’m really hopeful for next season though, 2-3 quality additions, get back to Goodison being a fortress as the basis for our season and I can see us really kicking on.

Think you’re pretty spot on mate, just think a lot of people are still angry over Milwall and the fact that we haven’t re-established ourselves at 7th minimum.

I’m really hopeful for next season though, 2-3 quality additions, get back to Goodison being a fortress as the basis for our season and I can see us really kicking on.
We're 15 points off top 6 and next season we either should narrow that gap significantly to 4/5 points or overtake one of them and crash the top 6.

If we can do that we'll be heading again in the right direction.

Exactly MG. I wish it was different but there is just no getting away from the fact that we had a shambolic run of almost half a season where we amassed just 15 points out of a possible 51. There were a few frustrating results and performances prior to week 14 too so it probably is over half a season as you say. Three recent good performances is great and just what we needed but cannot change the fact of how poor the season has been as a whole.

Just to put it to bed completely for anyone still doubting it, here is the Premier League Table as of the 2nd December 2018 - Week 14 - https://bleacherreport.com/articles...standings-after-sundays-premier-league-scores

And here is the Premier League table as of week 30 in March 2019 i.e 17 games/ 51 points later - https://bleacherreport.com/articles...k-30-scores-updated-2019-premier-league-table

I think despite all this tho we can consider this season a season of progress.

I mean the important things are improved results, 2 years without a top 6 win then we get 3 on the bounce. Those results dont mask the Fulham and Newcastle results for me, but they do give me something to cling to. Im also not as annoyed about the cup exits as most, I guess I just expect us to get knocked out by tosh, clearly thats on me.

If we can get 7th and Europa I would be fairly happy, considering thats the min I expected, 8th would be alright, but even being in the mix with 3 games to go is decent, YES, we should have wrapped up 7th already and be closer to 6th, but it is what it is.

I dont know what others expected, it was always gonna be too early to attack the top 6, for me that was always gonna be next season, off the back of a 7th place. Next season we certainly need to improve our consistency. But theres only 2 consistent teams in this league currently and they are both challenging for the title.

Thats of course the level we need to be at, not fighting for 7th, not challenging for top 4, entering a Derby knowing that victory will give us a great chance at the title. But we are a good few years and a few superb transfer windows away from that, but if we can progress ever year, it wont take us long.

You're ludicrous. "17 consecutive games" that started off with a game against Liverpool that every neutral felt we did enough to at least earn a point from, and ending with another draw against Liverpool and an away win against Cardiff 3-0....(a game anyone with any sense has identified as THE point the rot was stopped in the TWO MONTH long slump). The slump lasted from the City game on 15th December to the Watford game on 9th February. Roughly 7 weeks.

If you wish to go on calling it "half a season", be my guest.

We had our biggest away win for 30-odd years during the slump as well.

You're ludicrous. "17 consecutive games" that started off with a game against Liverpool that every neutral felt we did enough to at least earn a point from, and ending with another draw against Liverpool and an away win against Cardiff 3-0....(a game anyone with any sense has identified as THE point the rot was stopped in the TWO MONTH long slump). The slump lasted from the City game on 15th December to the Watford game on 9th February. Roughly 7 weeks.

If you wish to go on calling it "half a season", be my guest.

It’s funny really.

The slump includes losses v Liverpool and spurs and 2 x city.

We also lost against wolves, Watford and Leicester which is frustrating as even draws against those 3 would have seen us comfortably in 7th.

The really annoying ones were Brighton and Southampton.

We can argue about it all day. The fact is the direction of travel is positive. The football has improved, we have stopped leaking goals from set pieces and we have another window to consolidate.

There is plenty to be optimistic about.

We were terrible over that time make no mistake. But I don’t think we are the same team. I think we’ve improved since that period. I think the manager has too.

Need to aim or top 4 next season, what's the difference in finishing 5th - 7th when they get you into the same competition?

need to be realistic at the same time

think our aim for next season should be top 6, breaking into that is still far away at the minute, if/when we do that we have come a long way

I wouldn't even put a target on a place - the league place is reliant on how other teams do

Concentrate on yourself - set a points target.

We had 49 points last year, we will hopefully get mid 50s this year. I'd be looking for mid 60s next year. That might still only end up 7th, but it would certainly be progress. And I'd be looking at 70+ the following season, all things being well.

need to be realistic at the same time

think our aim for next season should be top 6, breaking into that is still far away at the minute, if/when we do that we have come a long way
It’s a catch 22 situation. If we have aspirations to break into the top 6, we would be better served not being in the Europa league. However being in Europe might entice a better standard of player to join the club, which would help us achieve our aim.

Status
Not open for further replies.