• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Home draws against Watford, Newcastle, Huddersfield. As well as losses to West Ham, Leicester and Wolves are totally unacceptable and can be considered as a slump gaining 3 points out of a possible 18.
Alternatively 10 points out of a possible 12 against the RS, Chelsea, Arsenal and United is an excellent return and makes the results against this other teams all the more galling.
Nope. The nature of the performance has to be factored in. We aren't entitled to those points. They have both had decent seasons too, and that adds to the context.

You didn't support the claim made about the 17th March extent of the slump though, I see. Duly noted.

Nope. The nature of the performance has to be factored in. We aren't entitled to those points. They have both had decent seasons too, and that adds to the context.

You didn't support the claim made about the 17th March extent of the slump though, I see. Duly noted.
Is that when our slump was meant to have ended? I appreciate you can’t win every game, but I stand by what I said, a return of 3 points in those games is unacceptable.

How can you call the 2nd December derby as part of a slump when we did so well in it? How can you call the following two games against Newcastle and Watford when we got draws and should have won both part of a slump? How can you say that the 3-0 away win against Cardiff on 26th Feb and the 0-0 draw with Liverpool on 3rd March were part of a slump? No one sensible starts and ends the slump period at 2nd December and declares it over on 17th March.

You're making no sense.

WUM much?

It really isn't hard to understand that we got 15 points out of a possible 51 points in 17 consecutive games. It doesn't make any difference whether they were at the start or at the end of wherever you like. It was 17 games on the run no matter where it was. The reason for starting at the RS derby is obvious though anyway as we hadn't done too bad prior to that and it was from losing that game painfully that we went on a 17 match run earning 15 points out of a possible 51. Knock a game off or add 1 on if you like as it makes no difference. It is what it is.

Getting 7th with ease, Absolutely no way we can hit top 6 unless Brands signs some absolute worldies we are light years away from the top 6 lot for 2-3 seasons at least
Not too sure about that
Add a bit of consistency against the lesser teams and beat s few top 6 teams as we have done and we may get top 6

Clearly - I hope you're right mate, I hope I'm wrong.

I don't think that will have ever happened before, but what's that saying about a broken clock?... ;)

(I'd give you the lack of striker argument but Silva said repeatedly he didn't need one).

Silva won't win a trophy at Everton or finish 6th or higher.
Silva won't last another 18 months at Everton.

There's a new bookmark feature on GOT, feel free to use it. :)

I think we just have to give him a free ride this season. The club was a total basket case 12 months ago, and although this season has ultimately been dissappointing in more ways than one, we at least appear to have found a way of playing.

DCL through the centre with Richarlison on the right has made a big difference. Also Bernard appears to have got up to speed with added consistency.

I was absolutely flattened by what proceeded the dreadful derby at the pit, but the side has finally taken a shape, possibly a better shape than what we saw under Martinez in his 1st season.

Still a very long way to go, and there will be more Fulham away performances to deal with I'm sure, but they will be easier to overcome than being blown away by top 6 opposition as has been the past few seasons regular occurrence.

Intrigued to see how the summer plays out.

There are three matches left to play.

We have equalled last season's points total and are currently +6 as far as goal difference goes, rather than the -14 we finished 17/18 on.

It's reasonable to assume that we will finish on more than 49 points now - so there's improvement there, however slight. Add that to the better football we've seen and the better results and performances we've had against the top 6 sides, and there's been reasonable progress made vs last season overall.

Has it been perfect? Absolutely not - we've seen some worrying stuff too, and that will serve as a cautionary note, rather than us blindly following. That middle 3rd of the season was absolutely woeful, but I said before the season started that I thought any manager needs at least two seasons and a squad overhaul before we should judge them (unless we are in a relegation fight). I stand by that, this manager has done enough to earn a 2nd season. Next season could be as much dependent on the work Brands does this summer as it does about Silva.

A big thing for me is the fact he has sorted the defence out and we have stopped the sill goals from free kicks, they cost us bad this season, Silva has rectified it and also turned around the slump.

I'm a bit more optimistic now and due to the fact I can actually see he has worked on things that were costing us, I've flip flopped back to give him next season.

All I want from anyone is to learn from mistakes and show improvement. There is no doubt that on our day we play some cracking stuff, we haven't had that for a while, maybe patience(more than I showed) is surely needed.

Home draws against Watford, Newcastle, Huddersfield. As well as losses to West Ham, Leicester and Wolves are totally unacceptable and can be considered as a slump gaining 3 points out of a possible 18.
Alternatively 10 points out of a possible 12 against the RS, Chelsea, Arsenal and United is an excellent return and makes the results against this other teams all the more galling.
Absolutely ludicrous to call a draw with a team above us in the league ‘unacceptable’. Proper kopite behaviour to be demanding we should win every game against teams who don’t have our history, have a word with yourself.

I don't quite understand what some people want.

It's surely accepted by pretty much everybody that - realistically - 7th is the best we could ever have done this season. The thing is, you simply cannot finish 7th and be 'consistent', it's not possible.

Let's say we'd held on to the lead against Newcastle, and maybe Wolves and Bournemouth away, and beat a dreadful Huddersfield at home. 10 more points on the board, virtually guaranteed 7th, still in with an outside chance of 6th, looking at our second highest points total in the PL era. That sounds pretty good right? And yet we'd have still lost to Fulham, Brighton, Southampton etc, still failed to beat Newcastle, West Ham and Watford at home. We'd still be sat here saying we were inconsistent, because consistent teams challenge for the league, and we're a long way from that. We need to be realistic about our expectations, otherwise no team or manager is ever going to be accepted.
Wasn't so much a general inconsistency moan, more a football discussion about how to find success against a range of opposition, with varying tactics. About how we can set up against a side that digs in, rather than a side that is more open play.

And it's easy to understand what people want. We want to win every game!

Wasn't so much a general inconsistency moan, more a football discussion about how to find success against a range of opposition, with varying tactics. About how we can set up against a side that digs in, rather than a side that is more open play.

And it's easy to understand what people want. We want to win every game!
I didn't quote you, because I wasn't just talking about you. So while you might not have been generally talking about inconsistency, plenty of people are. 18 of the 20 teams in the league are inconsistent at the moment, it's not exclusive to us. Obviously we all want to win every game, but that's not going to happen any time soon. You can't finish outside the top 6 and not be inconsistent, nobody expected us to finish in the top 6 and yet everybody (i'm talking about pundits etc as well as fans) seems to be moaning we're not being consistent. It's weird.

I'm not changing anything. I literally started my first post with the words 'squad wise'.

I'm saying our squad is light years behind their squad. Seeing as it's a squad game, that's what matters, and that's why we are light years behind them in terms of points.
On a lighter note I’d like to confirm for out American posters who may be slightly confused that the word squad is the correct technical name for a roster when speaking of Association Football ( soccerball to you lads) lol

WUM much?

It really isn't hard to understand that we got 15 points out of a possible 51 points in 17 consecutive games. It doesn't make any difference whether they were at the start or at the end of wherever you like. It was 17 games on the run no matter where it was. The reason for starting at the RS derby is obvious though anyway as we hadn't done too bad prior to that and it was from losing that game painfully that we went on a 17 match run earning 15 points out of a possible 51. Knock a game off or add 1 on if you like as it makes no difference. It is what it is.
You're ludicrous. "17 consecutive games" that started off with a game against Liverpool that every neutral felt we did enough to at least earn a point from, and ending with another draw against Liverpool and an away win against Cardiff 3-0....(a game anyone with any sense has identified as THE point the rot was stopped in the TWO MONTH long slump). The slump lasted from the City game on 15th December to the Watford game on 9th February. Roughly 7 weeks.

If you wish to go on calling it "half a season", be my guest.

Our club was an absolute shambles last season. The closed season we changed everything from top to bottom, this season was never going to be a good season simply too much work and not enough time, we started Ok, then the derby happened and we fell to bits, for 17 games as quoted above. Its times like that, that I look for the manager to be able to change and adapt, and whilst it took a while probably too long and a fortunate gap in games, he has managed to change it, we have been a completely different team. Thats what I look for in a manger the ability to change, Martinez couldn't do it, Koeman couldn't do it, this guy it appears can and has. I am very optimistic for next season

There are three matches left to play.

We have equalled last season's points total and are currently +6 as far as goal difference goes, rather than the -14 we finished 17/18 on.

It's reasonable to assume that we will finish on more than 49 points now - so there's improvement there, however slight. Add that to the better football we've seen and the better results and performances we've had against the top 6 sides, and there's been reasonable progress made vs last season overall.

Has it been perfect? Absolutely not - we've seen some worrying stuff too, and that will serve as a cautionary note, rather than us blindly following. That middle 3rd of the season was absolutely woeful, but I said before the season started that I thought any manager needs at least two seasons and a squad overhaul before we should judge them (unless we are in a relegation fight). I stand by that, this manager has done enough to earn a 2nd season. Next season could be as much dependent on the work Brands does this summer as it does about Silva.

Wow. If that isn’t a marker of clear improvement I don’t know what is.

Status
Not open for further replies.