• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before Moshiri we habitually competed for the ‘best of the rest ‘slot.
This season we are competing for the ‘best of the rest , slot.
So, hardly less competitive thus far ,more like business as usual.
Sounds like Moshiri's to blame for any progress beyond best of the rest then, doesn't it?

Yes they are 15 points ahead, but in my opinion they have a bigger job in the summer because 6 of that team will need replacing and it's hard to get them playing to a tempo straight away.You could argue the back four need replacing, pogba won't be there, neither will matic, or fred, that's without replacing lukaku, it's a huge job.
Much bigger job for sure.
But they are already several steps ahead of us and their financial muscle as well as their ability to attract top players far outweighs us.

Which is why I said short term we can close the gap, but long term we are miles behind.

Chelsea for me are the ones who may slip.
Once again, their infrastructure and attractiveness to top players is well ahead of us, but Abramovic’s seeming disinterest and the Transfer ban (if upheld) along with the continued lack of continuity on the managerial front (something we could learn from) could put a serious spanner in the works over the next few seasons.

Who said anything about size, i'm talking about quality.

Of course you can beat teams on any given day, but the reason the top teams are the top teams (or one of the main reasons anyway) is squad depth. The likes of Barkley and Lukaku were key players for us, first names on the teamsheet most weeks, we were looking to build around them. They're squad players at their clubs now though, they get regular games but they certainly aren't key. Chelsea own Zouma but have no interest in playing him, whereas we pick him every week. That's the difference.

A couple of injuries and Chelsea are bringing in Barkley, Loftus-Cheek, Pedro, Hudson-Odoi and Giroud. We're bringing in Davies, Kenny, Lookman and Tosun. I'll let you decide which of those is better.

It's properly mental that people can honestly try to argue that there's not a big difference between the squads when over the last 5 seasons they've finished an average of 23 points ahead of us.
You have now change to having a better squad, I never once said we had a better squad I'm not stupid I said we were not light years behind them.

You have now change to having a better squad, I never once said we had a better squad I'm not stupid I said we were not light years behind them.
I'm not changing anything. I literally started my first post with the words 'squad wise'.

I'm saying our squad is light years behind their squad. Seeing as it's a squad game, that's what matters, and that's why we are light years behind them in terms of points.

Much bigger job for sure.
But they are already several steps ahead of us and their financial muscle as well as their ability to attract top players far outweighs us.

Which is why I said short term we can close the gap, but long term we are miles behind.

Chelsea for me are the ones who may slip.
Once again, their infrastructure and attractiveness to top players is well ahead of us, but Abramovic’s seeming disinterest and the Transfer ban (if upheld) could put a serious spanner in the works over the next few seasons.
United will need at least two seasons to get it right for me, I know long term we cannot compete with them.I think with Chelsea it all depends on Hazard if he goes they are in trouble.

I beg to differ tbh.
United, for all their troubles this season are still 15 points ahead and boast a much stronger squad.
Including our all time top Premier League goal scorer (deemed not good enough), Pogba (one of world footballs most sought after midfielders) & De Gea (one of the worlds top GK’s) Rashford (an immense young talent)

They are likely to have a clear out this summer like us. Unlike us, the amount of money they can raise from selling the likes of Fred, Lukaku (even Pogba) is huge.

We can very much take advantage and close the gap given the short term instability a rebuild will cause. But we must remember that we’re also in an unstable rebuilding phase.
Lukaku would be deemed good enough if he scored 25 goals for them this season. It's their fault they didn't get the most out of him.
I think United are catch-able, as are Chelsea.
Arsenal will settle under Emery next season but we could give them a run for their money for fourth behind City, RS and Spurs.
Getting way ahead of myself but if Silva and Brands can find a striker who can nick a goal against teams that set up to solely defend, we could be in very good shape.

United will need at least two seasons to get it right for me, I know long term we cannot compete with them.I think with Chelsea it all depends on Hazard if he goes they are in trouble.

They have had 6 since Fergie chipped off. Ok, LVG bagged a cup, Jose as well with 2, and if that was us, happy days. But it aint. Its one of the 3 biggest clubs on the planet, now managed by an ex Cardiff manager, who wouldnt be anywhere near the job if he hadnt scored a few as a sub as a player.

If reports are correct, Phelan is their new DOF. Has he a track record in that? Last I knew, he was juggling a part time assistant United job with some gig in Australia.

CL next season is up in the air. The squad looks a mess. As well as we played on Sunday, they were rank awful. Worst United team I can recall. Worst team at all, come to that.

So yeah, their balance sheet and global deals with anyone will make the owners cream. But on the pitch, the surgery needed, the money that needs spending, with a green manager and green DOF, with probably no CL carrot, is just astonishing.

Football always moved in cycles. Perhaps one of the Sky 6 darlings may have a few more uncomfortable seasons to navigate, cos looking at them, this is no quick fix, a'la Fergie buying Van Persie when they lost the title on goal difference to City.

Happy days.

I don't quite understand what some people want.

It's surely accepted by pretty much everybody that - realistically - 7th is the best we could ever have done this season. The thing is, you simply cannot finish 7th and be 'consistent', it's not possible.

Let's say we'd held on to the lead against Newcastle, and maybe Wolves and Bournemouth away, and beat a dreadful Huddersfield at home. 10 more points on the board, virtually guaranteed 7th, still in with an outside chance of 6th, looking at our second highest points total in the PL era. That sounds pretty good right? And yet we'd have still lost to Fulham, Brighton, Southampton etc, still failed to beat Newcastle, West Ham and Watford at home. We'd still be sat here saying we were inconsistent, because consistent teams challenge for the league, and we're a long way from that. We need to be realistic about our expectations, otherwise no team or manager is ever going to be accepted.
If we’d won all our games this season we’d have won the league.

The slump occurred mid-December and lasted until mid February (two calendar months) and it wasn't 18 games it was 11 games...and we won 3 of those 11.

Apart from that......

Apart from that..... you are completely wrong as you often are when it comes to being very selective in your support for Silva.

Our form from 2nd December to mid March was absolutely shocking and lasted 17 games (i was a huge 1 game too high in my post. Somebody shoot me :eek: )

Here it is to refresh you:

17 games from and including 2nd December 2018 till the 17th March 2019 when this recent better run began against Chelsea.

Wins = 4
Lose = 10
Draw = 3

That is 15 points out of a possible 51 which is relegation form. Very poor and lengthy slump and if 19 games is half a season, then 17 is not far off half a season like i said.

They have had 6 since Fergie chipped off. Ok, LVG bagged a cup, Jose as well with 2, and if that was us, happy days. But it aint. Its one of the 3 biggest clubs on the planet, now managed by an ex Cardiff manager, who wouldnt be anywhere near the job if he hadnt scored a few as a sub as a player.

If reports are correct, Phelan is their new DOF. Has he a track record in that? Last I knew, he was juggling a part time assistant United job with some gig in Australia.

CL next season is up in the air. The squad looks a mess. As well as we played on Sunday, they were rank awful. Worst United team I can recall. Worst team at all, come to that.

So yeah, their balance sheet and global deals with anyone will make the owners cream. But on the pitch, the surgery needed, the money that needs spending, with a green manager and green DOF, with probably no CL carrot, is just astonishing.

Football always moved in cycles. Perhaps one of the Sky 6 darlings may have a few more uncomfortable seasons to navigate, cos looking at them, this is no quick fix, a'la Fergie buying Van Persie when they lost the title on goal difference to City.

Happy days.
There my thoughts as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.