• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy the style he is implementing. Get on the ball and play when we need but sometimes go direct. Get in shape defensively and hold firm or aggressively pursue our opponents in the press.

It's pretty boss. Much to improve but still, remember Allardyce / Koeman / Unsworth?!

I think despite all this tho we can consider this season a season of progress.

I mean the important things are improved results, 2 years without a top 6 win then we get 3 on the bounce. Those results dont mask the Fulham and Newcastle results for me, but they do give me something to cling to. Im also not as annoyed about the cup exits as most, I guess I just expect us to get knocked out by tosh, clearly thats on me.

If we can get 7th and Europa I would be fairly happy, considering thats the min I expected, 8th would be alright, but even being in the mix with 3 games to go is decent, YES, we should have wrapped up 7th already and be closer to 6th, but it is what it is.

I dont know what others expected, it was always gonna be too early to attack the top 6, for me that was always gonna be next season, off the back of a 7th place. Next season we certainly need to improve our consistency. But theres only 2 consistent teams in this league currently and they are both challenging for the title.

Thats of course the level we need to be at, not fighting for 7th, not challenging for top 4, entering a Derby knowing that victory will give us a great chance at the title. But we are a good few years and a few superb transfer windows away from that, but if we can progress ever year, it wont take us long.

Agreed and the recent performances against top 6 teams in particular have been very encouraging indeed. Main fear for me is inconsistency though and i am terrified that we could go on another poor lengthy run at any point. If we can resolve that then i think we can do ok in the future taking everything else we have seen into account. Only way we will know if the inconsistent problem is resolved is by seeing what happens. 3 more games to go this season and a good chance to continue this decent run with a strong consistent finish.

It’s funny really.

The slump includes losses v Liverpool and spurs and 2 x city.

We also lost against wolves, Watford and Leicester which is frustrating as even draws against those 3 would have seen us comfortably in 7th.

The really annoying ones were Brighton and Southampton.

We can argue about it all day. The fact is the direction of travel is positive. The football has improved, we have stopped leaking goals from set pieces and we have another window to consolidate.

There is plenty to be optimistic about.

We were terrible over that time make no mistake. But I don’t think we are the same team. I think we’ve improved since that period. I think the manager has too.
I think it's a matter for some of justifying their unequivocal view back then that Silva was out of his depth and needed to be sacked then and there.

Stretching an 11/12 game slump into 17 games and calling it a half season slump is just the way they justify their poor assessment of Silva.

I dont know what others expected, it was always gonna be too early to attack the top 6, for me that was always gonna be next season, off the back of a 7th place. Next season we certainly need to improve our consistency. But theres only 2 consistent teams in this league currently and they are both challenging for the title.

Thats of course the level we need to be at, not fighting for 7th, not challenging for top 4, entering a Derby knowing that victory will give us a great chance at the title. But we are a good few years and a few superb transfer windows away from that, but if we can progress ever year, it wont take us long.

Are we getting shut of the carpetbagger and getting a real billionaire?

We're 15 points off top 6 and next season we either should narrow that gap significantly to 4/5 points or overtake one of them and crash the top 6.

If we can do that we'll be heading again in the right direction.

Yeah man, like I say I think it begins at home. Any team who does anything of note in this league is strong at home and only loses to the really big guns. That alone probably bridges that point gap you mention.

The step we have to take after that is being more consistent on the road and being capable of taking a good scalp away from time to time. Got a feeling that might be a bridge too far for next season though.

I think it's a matter for some of justifying their unequivocal view back then that Silva was out of his depth and needed to be sacked then and there.

Stretching an 11/12 game slump into 17 games and calling it a half season slump is just the way they justify their poor assessment of Silva.
It ignores the fact we’ve already won one more game than last season. And so far lost one less (though that could obviously change with 3 games to go).

I wonder if the losses were spread out evenly would people still be fuming.

I view it this way. We’ve scored more, conceded less, play better football, will likely have more points, have a younger squad and have on the whole improved as the season has gone on as well as fixed a significant flaw (set pieces).

That all seems pretty positive to be honest.

You're talking like he's now the guarenteed real deal. He's far from that. A week before united we never showed up at fulham. A team that got in our face and we wilted. Im more impressed when this team is asked questions on the pitch and comes through it than results against sides who quite frankly never showed up. Enjoy those days as otherwise whats the point in watching footy. But dont get sucked in that you're maybe better than you think.
Palace away on saturday is a harder game than united and arsenal at home. Two soft belly sides. We had a soft belly under silva on our last away game.
This manager lark at Everton still has a lot more legs.

Need to aim or top 4 next season, what's the difference in finishing 5th - 7th when they get you into the same competition?
No chance.

I’d be happy with 7th next year, as long as we’re closer to the Top 6. Also would want a cup run/win.

We’re about two years from challenging for a top 4 place and that means we have to have almost perfect transfer windows.

He must’ve built one of the hardest working teams in the league. Digne and Coleman get up and down, Gueye doesn’t stop and Bernard, sig, Richarlison and DCL all run hard. That’s always a good place to start.
top fitness levels is half the battle.city and liverpool are so fit this year.players never seem to get tired and that gives you a great platform especially near the end of games when legs and minds are starting to tire.

No chance.

I’d be happy with 7th next year, as long as we’re closer to the Top 6. Also would want a cup run/win.

We’re about two years from challenging for a top 4 place and that means we have to have almost perfect transfer windows.

I agree slightly, think I've gotten a bit carried away with recent performances against the top 6.

I'll stand by my optimism depending on the Spurs result!

No chance.

I agree mate. But if we do finish comfortably 7th next season, maybe 3 points behind 6th and 6 points off 4th, and maybe a semi final in one of the cups, it would be interesting to see if you still consider that a good season in 12 months time. You've always struck me as somebody who wouldn't be happy with that.

That's not criticism by the way, just an observation based on your posting history. Patience and tolerance are not terms I'd normally associate with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.