• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We beat half of them this month.
Yeah and it's a nice start now we need to find a way to beat the terrible teams like Fulham/Southampton/Newcastle etc, I just don't think the squad is good enough to comfortably break the top 6 for a while, Maybe that will change with transfers who knows.

Yeah and it's a nice start now we need to find a way to beat the terrible teams like Fulham/Southampton/Newcastle etc, I just don't think the squad is good enough to comfortably break the top 6 for a while, Maybe that will change with transfers who knows.

We know how to beat all those teams, we beat two of them at home. The thing is, due to football being football, we won’t ever be able to have a 100% record against them like some on here are expecting.

We are not light years behind Utd or Arsenal, or Chelski when Hazard has gone, we have just beaten the 3 of them two easy, we are not that far behind.
Squad wise we're light years behind.

Milwall and Fulham have beaten us this year, but they aren't better than us, there's a difference between able to win a game and being able to consistently get results against everybody. Chelsea could put out a second eleven that would arguably finish above our first eleven, and could put about 4 teams that would compete in the PL. A couple of injuries and we have a mixture of half decent kids and over the hill veterans out there. Finishing in the top 6 isn't impossible by any means, but it really, really, isn't something any neutral fan would be expecting when looking at our current squad.

My opinion hasn't changed.

This from March;

And this from Wednesday.

The last few weeks has validated how under-performing the side he's had have performed all season - gone is the question of the squad not being good enough.

Anyway, ultimately - with a better squad - his record is worse than Martinez, Koeman and Allardyce.

We're 1 point from 10th and 3 wins from Burnley in 15th. Small margins.

He's not good enough blues, if he's bought himself more time then that's on Brands next season.

Couldn't have put it better myself tbh. I just cannot forget how poor we were from the beginning of December right through till March which was about 18 matches i.e almost half a season. It has been really great to see us performing well in the last few matches but during that decent run we again had a shambolic performance against a team that were already relegated and it was reminiscent of the December to March shambles.

I would love us to consistently compete like we did against Manure, Arsenal and Chelsea and can forgive the odd hiccup here and there but based upon the experiences of this season, i am scared that there is actually more chance of us being the same again next season i.e continuing to be consistently inconsistent. It is all he has ever done in the premier league.

Looks like he will probably be here next season anyway so here's hoping that i am wrong and we have an absolute beauty of a next season.

I don't care about him. Nor Martinez or Koeman.

I care about Everton.

I don't think he will make Everton compete, and by compete - get us in the top 6/win a trophy.

Moshiri hasn't been able to bring a top manager to the club and so he's been 'gambling' by his own admission on flavours of the month.

If Moshiri/Brands can't bring in that top manager, then it is what it is.

In January Moshiri said “I have thrown in £250 million to turn a museum into a competitive outfit"

We're less competitive now than we were before Moshiri come in.

We aren't competing, we aren't going to live up to Moshiri's sound bites until we have a top manager come in. I don't think that's Marco Silva.
Before Moshiri we habitually competed for the ‘best of the rest ‘slot.
This season we are competing for the ‘best of the rest , slot.
So, hardly less competitive thus far ,more like business as usual.

Squad wise we're light years behind.

Milwall and Fulham have beaten us this year, but they aren't better than us, there's a difference between able to win a game and being able to consistently get results against everybody. Chelsea could put out a second eleven that would arguably finish above our first eleven, and could put about 4 teams that would compete in the PL. A couple of injuries and we have a mixture of half decent kids and over the hill veterans out there. Finishing in the top 6 isn't impossible by any means, but it really, really, isn't something any neutral fan would be expecting when looking at our current squad.
We are not light years behind arsenal or Utd squad size at all.We will add to the squad in the summer that's for certain, and no way can Chelsea field a second eleven that finishes above us, Arsenal have just been beaten by Palace, West ham have beat them so have Brighton it a competitive league it happens we are behind them in consistency without a doubt.

what we're seeing are shoots of improvement, Silva's style of play is exciting and the new players brought in have all played their part, every ambitious club is striving for consistency, that's were we are at the moment we need to be patient.

My opinion hasn't changed.

This from March;

And this from Wednesday.

The last few weeks has validated how under-performing the side he's had have performed all season - gone is the question of the squad not being good enough.

Anyway, ultimately - with a better squad - his record is worse than Martinez, Koeman and Allardyce.

We're 1 point from 10th and 3 wins from Burnley in 15th. Small margins.

He's not good enough blues, if he's bought himself more time then that's on Brands next season.

Your argument rests on the basis that this is a very good squad, when clearly we have almost a very good first team - when all are available and there to be called on. Add to that we are minus a striker who can score regularly - a deficiency Silva has had to manage with all season. In short: it's not a squad that we should expect to break into the top 6 with...which is the only place we can go at the moment.

Then there's the question of what the DoF handed Silva to do this season after the last two failed managers had shorn us of any sort of method or style of play. We now have that methodology in place. We have our identity back as a team and the players are buying into that, as per Coleman's interview post United game.

• Starting XI age down
  • Good style of football in place, but pragmatic when need be
  • Ability to beat top 6 clubs confirmed
  • On course for a reasonable 50 odd point tally
  • Plan to add a striker and to address other key positions for next season in place
I just dont see how much more Silva could be expected reasonably to do. It feels like you've painted yourself into a corner on this. I know that feeling well enough.

We are not light years behind Utd or Arsenal, or Chelski when Hazard has gone, we have just beaten the 3 of them two easy, we are not that far behind.
I beg to differ tbh.
United, for all their troubles this season are still 15 points ahead and boast a much stronger squad.
Including our all time top Premier League goal scorer (deemed not good enough), Pogba (one of world footballs most sought after midfielders) & De Gea (one of the worlds top GK’s) Rashford (an immense young talent)

They are likely to have a clear out this summer like us. Unlike us, the amount of money they can raise from selling the likes of Fred, Lukaku (even Pogba) is huge.

We can very much take advantage and close the gap given the short term instability a rebuild will cause. But we must remember that we’re also in an unstable rebuilding phase.

I beg to differ tbh.
United, for all their troubles this season are still 15 points ahead and boast a much stronger squad.
Including our all time top Premier League goal scorer (deemed not good enough), Pogba (one of world footballs most sought after midfielders) & De Gea (one of the worlds top GK’s) Rashford (an immense young talent)

They are likely to have a clear out this summer like us. Unlike us, the amount of money they can raise from selling the likes of Fred, Lukaku (even Pogba) is huge.

We can very much take advantage and close the gap given the short term instability a rebuild will cause. But we must remember that we’re also in an unstable rebuilding phase.
Yes they are 15 points ahead, but in my opinion they have a bigger job in the summer because 6 of that team will need replacing and it's hard to get them playing to a tempo straight away.You could argue the back four need replacing, pogba won't be there, neither will matic, or fred, that's without replacing lukaku, it's a huge job.

We are not light years behind arsenal or Utd squad size at all.We will add to the squad in the summer that's for certain, and no way can Chelsea field a second eleven that finishes above us, Arsenal have just been beaten by Palace, West ham have beat them so have Brighton it a competitive league it happens we are behind them in consistency without a doubt.
Who said anything about size, i'm talking about quality.

Of course you can beat teams on any given day, but the reason the top teams are the top teams (or one of the main reasons anyway) is squad depth. The likes of Barkley and Lukaku were key players for us, first names on the teamsheet most weeks, we were looking to build around them. They're squad players at their clubs now though, they get regular games but they certainly aren't key. Chelsea own Zouma but have no interest in playing him, whereas we pick him every week. That's the difference.

A couple of injuries and Chelsea are bringing in Barkley, Loftus-Cheek, Pedro, Hudson-Odoi and Giroud. We're bringing in Davies, Kenny, Lookman and Tosun. I'll let you decide which of those is better.

It's properly mental that people can honestly try to argue that there's not a big difference between the squads when over the last 5 seasons they've finished an average of 23 points ahead of us.

Couldn't have put it better myself tbh. I just cannot forget how poor we were from the beginning of December right through till March which was about 18 matches i.e almost half a season. It has been really great to see us performing well in the last few matches but during that decent run we again had a shambolic performance against a team that were already relegated and it was reminiscent of the December to March shambles.

I would love us to consistently compete like we did against Manure, Arsenal and Chelsea and can forgive the odd hiccup here and there but based upon the experiences of this season, i am scared that there is actually more chance of us being the same again next season i.e continuing to be consistently inconsistent. It is all he has ever done in the premier league.

Looks like he will probably be here next season anyway so here's hoping that i am wrong and we have an absolute beauty of a next season.
The slump occurred mid-December and lasted until mid February (two calendar months) and it wasn't 18 games it was 11 games...and we won 3 of those 11.

Apart from that......

Status
Not open for further replies.