• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of things makes me think he'll come good:

- We looked defensively inept at one point (although I think bad luck and individual mistakes shares some of the blame) but he's managed to work on that and we now have the 4th most cleans sheets this season while also playing attractive football.

- He's come through a bad patch (where people were calling for his head) to get some really big wins. I think the team probably needed to experience that slump and bounce back to improve their confidence and self-belief. We've not had the ability to bounce back from a poor run of form really since Moyes (Allardyce ground out some wins but I wouldn't call it 'bouncing back')

There's the obvious worry about our form against teams we should beat on paper, but I think he's shown he can react and hopefully will work out a formula to break those teams down next season.

Im hopeful that the last few results will make Moshiri think we are on the cusp of something.

I think its unfair to expect him to keep throwing money at us, so I will never demand it, but as I say im hopeful he now considers that Brands doesnt waste money and Silva can get the players performing.

We needed to see a massive improvement to believe that he might actually be able to achieve something given a bit of time. From the second half against Chelsea onwards we have seen that.

Our league record still reads W14 L14, so still plenty of work to do, but given a decent summer window he might just be able to do that with the backing of Brands and the board.

Looking at the fixtures I still don’t see us getting 7th, Watford must be favourites for that (oh the irony), so having no Europe will be a set back to attracting decent players for next season, unless they are offered stupidly high salary contracts, the likes of which we have already had our fingers burnt on previously so that will be interesting.

Let’s hope Watford start thinking about the cup final and we can continue the recent run.

We had no Europe this season and attracted Digne, Bernard, Gomes and Richarlison.

We had no Europe this season and attracted Digne, Bernard, Gomes and Richarlison.

Not all players are the same.

Eriksen agrees the tournament undermines a top-four challenge, and concedes his boss faces an unenviable task when it comes to managing his resources to keep Spurs competing strongly in England’s top flight and abroad.

However, the former Ajax man says he would have thought twice about joining Tottenham if they had missed out on a European spot two years ago.

“I’d rather play in Europe than nothing,” said the Danish midfielder. “Of course there are many games but if you have a big squad like we have I think it shouldn’t be a disappointment to play in Europe. A lot of players want to be in Europe.

“Is it a factor when it comes to signing players? I think so, it would be for me personally. I don’t know if it is for anybody else but I think so. Of course that will probably help the team and the club as well [if we qualify].

“I always wanted to play in Europe, to be seen there or in the Premier League, so it was a big chance and for me it was a good thing.

“Does it help you to finish in the top four if you’re not in Europe? Yes of course it does. I heard we’re one of the teams that has played the most games. But you only get better from playing so I don’t see an issue in playing. At the beginning of the year we can probably count that but later in the year we hope we’ll go to win it.”

Not all players are the same.

Eriksen agrees the tournament undermines a top-four challenge, and concedes his boss faces an unenviable task when it comes to managing his resources to keep Spurs competing strongly in England’s top flight and abroad.

However, the former Ajax man says he would have thought twice about joining Tottenham if they had missed out on a European spot two years ago.

“I’d rather play in Europe than nothing,” said the Danish midfielder. “Of course there are many games but if you have a big squad like we have I think it shouldn’t be a disappointment to play in Europe. A lot of players want to be in Europe.

“Is it a factor when it comes to signing players? I think so, it would be for me personally. I don’t know if it is for anybody else but I think so. Of course that will probably help the team and the club as well [if we qualify].

“I always wanted to play in Europe, to be seen there or in the Premier League, so it was a big chance and for me it was a good thing.

“Does it help you to finish in the top four if you’re not in Europe? Yes of course it does. I heard we’re one of the teams that has played the most games. But you only get better from playing so I don’t see an issue in playing. At the beginning of the year we can probably count that but later in the year we hope we’ll go to win it.”

Exactly, not all good players are arsed about playing in the Europa League, as evidenced by the good players we signed last summer.

People like you two and @ijjysmith and @LouReedwalkonthewildside and @GrandOldTeam - normally non-knee jerk reasonable posters - losing your nerve over him just barely after Christmas in his first season was a shock to the system. I couldn't believe you'd gone so early. Obviously we'd had a rocky patch with managers which made us all feel a bit fed up, but it surprised me the speed with which he was thrown under the bus.

I think he's proven you all wrong.

My opinion hasn't changed.

This from March;

even if we conjure up a few decent results at Goodison over the next few weeks, the horse has long bolted on this season.

We shouldn't be benchmarking against Ronald Koeman and Sam Allardyce, and even if we did - results wise, Marco Silva has performed worse.

Get rid*

* If Brands is capable of getting an actual decent manager in - one with some worthwhile credentials.

And this from Wednesday.

It would be sound if he can bring in a Jose Mourinho and secure increased involvement from Alisher Usmanov, we then will compete. Bit fanciful like, I know...

Until we get a top manager in, we're pissing in the wind. To be fair, he's apparently tried for elite managers (Simeone, Emery) but been laughed at and resorted to flavours of the month in Koeman, Walsh an Silva (at first). It is what it is

The last few weeks has validated how under-performing the side he's had have performed all season - gone is the question of the squad not being good enough.

Anyway, ultimately - with a better squad - his record is worse than Martinez, Koeman and Allardyce.

We're 1 point from 10th and 3 wins from Burnley in 15th. Small margins.

He's not good enough blues, if he's bought himself more time then that's on Brands next season.

This from March;

And this from Wednesday.

The last few weeks has validated how under-performing the side he's had have performed all season - gone is the question of the squad not being good enough.

Anyway, ultimately - with a better squad - his record is worse than Martinez, Koeman and Allardyce.

He's not good enough blues, if he's bought himself more time then that's on Brands next season.

But surely the last few results have swayed you slightly?

I mean I still have major doubts, but I asked for something with 11 games to go and hes certainly given us something, can you not take heart from the last few results and think that POSSIBLY a corner has been turned?

I made the point in another thread. We've massively changed the squad and gone with 3 managers who have completely different styles. What we need now is stability. Silva and the squad are showing glimpses of quality. The consistency will hopefully follow.

But surely the last few results have swayed you slightly?

I mean I still have major doubts, but I asked for something with 11 games to go and hes certainly given us something, can you not take heart from the last few results and think that POSSIBLY a corner has been turned?

That's modern football isn't it? Only ever a few games from being great or terrible.

Bigger picture for me is the season will end, we'll likely be 8th-10th and as close points wise to relegation as 6th place, with the season having been a write off when Millwall dumped us out the Cup in January.

We'd be going into next season with a manager who is still a 'gamble' in Moshiri's own words and a manager with a lesser record than the previous 3 who were deemed not good enough.

That's modern football isn't it? Only ever a few games from being great or terrible.

Bigger picture for me is the season will end, we'll likely be 8th-10th and as close points wise to relegation as 6th place, with the season having been a write off when Millwall dumped us out the Cup in January.

We'd be going into next season with a manager who is still a 'gamble' in Moshiri's own words and a manager with a lesser record than the previous 3 who were deemed not good enough.

....virtually every managerial appointment carries risk. I think the Brands role mitigates the risk because he co-ordinates transfer/playing strategy throughout the club. The Manager/DoF axis has to be a partnership and ultimate success rests on that being effective.

Silva has been found wanting, conceding 6 at home to Spurs and losing to Millwall in that fashion shouldn’t happen in a well organised and drilled team. My main concern with Silva is what his team does when the opposition has the ball, but that is becoming less of an issue.

Lots of successful managers have very bad spells before turning things around. Let’s hope Silva is one of them. Only time will tell.

Just watching the match back now and it dawned on me that we ended up with players signed by five different managers on the pitch.
good observation Khal...I was scratching my head trying to think who was Brown Shoes' contribution to the farrago,(i.e. the confused hodgepodge)...James McCarthy of course.

This from March;

And this from Wednesday.

We're 1 point from 10th and 3 wins from Burnley in 15th. Small margins.

“3 wins from Burnley in 15th” is quite a big margin actually considering there’s 3 games left. Colossal in fact. This is a very weird agenda from yourself.

“3 wins from Burnley in 15th” is quite a big margin actually considering there’s 3 games left. Colossal in fact. This is a very weird agenda from yourself.

Agenda?

No agenda at all soft lad, I'm an Everton fan. Why would I have an agenda against an Everton manager?

To assume I would is weird.

The point, as a said by 'Small margins' It's to demonstrate just how small the margins in terms of league positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.