Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Alright peoples, going to the doctors on Wednesday to discuss the weaning off the tablets (escitalopram). I know about gradually reducing the dose and everything and feel I'm probably overdue in doing this as I never wanted to be on them forever and haven't had any abnormal anxiety for a long time. I'm still fearful of it coming back once I get off them but I'm sick of them making me lazy basically, i really struggle to wake up in the mornings and need to set about 10 alarms because I just sleep straight through them, was wondering if anyone's come off the medication and what to expect etc.

Sorry for the rambling post, was just writing as the words came into my head.
Good luck

Alright peoples, going to the doctors on Wednesday to discuss the weaning off the tablets (escitalopram). I know about gradually reducing the dose and everything and feel I'm probably overdue in doing this as I never wanted to be on them forever and haven't had any abnormal anxiety for a long time. I'm still fearful of it coming back once I get off them but I'm sick of them making me lazy basically, i really struggle to wake up in the mornings and need to set about 10 alarms because I just sleep straight through them, was wondering if anyone's come off the medication and what to expect etc.

Good luck. Weaning off drugs is never fun. I got really fat on Citalopram as well.

I came off them February 2018 and have been managing symptoms when they arrive myself since.

I was on 20mg so there was no weaning - I did ask 6 months prior and was told to stay on them 3-6 months after I felt I was okay and ready. Then I was able to just not request my prescription. I did have a few dizzy spells when I stopped taking them which shocked me at first but then I realised what they were as I'd had them when I first started taking them too.

I have been doing much better, sorted a lot of the factors that contribute to anxiety/depression such as my money issues and my job.

I know that if I ever required them again I wouldn't have to get myself over the stigma and the reluctance to be on medication though. In a way that makes it easier, it's not going to be a black hole you fall into as soon as you come off - you will recognise your symptoms.

I think I still get bad days, well, more bad moments and more better days. Like you though, I felt like the medication was highlighting more negative side effects than positive because it time to go it med-free :)

I use a light for SAD in the darker mornings though and they reset your body clock and it seems to help.

Stick with the citalopram mate, things will get better. Be sure to review it with your GP after a few weeks. I went up to 40mg a day before I started to stabilise.
How long did it take for you to feel any benefit of the citalapram??

I'm only a few days in so I know it won't be kicking in.. But will it takes weeks??

Really need to get back to work this week but my head just isn't letting me.

I'm only a few days in so I know it won't be kicking in.. But will it takes weeks??

About 3 weeks before I started to feel better. I started on 20mg and went to 30mg and then 40mg. I take propranolo.l as well, 40mg 3 times a day.

Is there any particular reason you want to rush back to work? Are they putting pressure on you, is it a pay issue?

How about just popping in for a couple of hours one day to see how it feels. Maybe ease yourself back into it.

It can't be easy, trying to get your head straight with the added financial pressure.
I have to get a lift as I haven't yet sorted a van out. I'm hoping to be feeling up to it tomorrow.. But I hate forcing myself to go and regretting it the minute I go.

had my does of sertraline doubled as its effects have started to wean, also have now been tentatively diagnosed as having intermittent explosive disorder, on top of severe depression, thought it was possibly bipolar at first but I don't have the euphoric states so more likely to be IED, got an app with a mental health nurse on Friday too as after my last bout of uncontrollable explosive rage I was basically googling "what happens to husbands debts if dies" and "how to kill myself and make it look like an accident" so that she still got paid out on the life insurance

fun and games eh, probably didn't time it all very well as tried to pack in the cigs, possibly whats contributed towards recent episodes, got myself a vape now which helps with that side of it

all just feels so difficult sometimes, today is a good day though