2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's realistic mate.

Do you think City or Chelsea have any interest in DCL, Davies or Kenny?

I don't think they do and that's because they're nothing special.

You can talk about some of us being negative but I've seen other sections of Evertonians bigging these lads up like they're of Barkley or Stones' potential and not one of them as shown anything to suggest it.

They're not terrible players but they're not lifting us up the table and standing out as a class above the rest of the cack they play with.

In fairness mate most people thought we'd completely had City off re Stones and that Williams would be a better defender. Ross Barkley left to Chelsea as he was available at a knockdown price. Deulofeu has ended up at Watford. At some point or other all 3 of the above lad were written off by Evertonian's as not good enough.

None of the above 3 are as good as the 3 names above but I don't think they are streets behind. However people don't really remember what was being said about the last crop of young players. Often the same people being critical of this set of youngsters and using the last set as a stick to beat them with were also pretty critical of the young players that went before them.

I see improvement with all of our young players. That's all you can ask. Thats what stalled with Stones, Barkley and Deulofeu in their time here. That's the riddle that needs solving really. If all of the above keep improving they will be more than good enough to play for Everton for some time to come as we will not be easily able to buy in much better than they would be if they reach their full potential (for some time yet).

Tuesday was quite a DCL performance. I thought he battled hard and gave us a bit of a focal point and we seem to play better with a big mobile target for us to hit. That being said there are still lots of things he needs to improve upon. A lot of it centres around consistency. A bit part of his development needs to be making runs 10/15/20 times a game that he currently makes on 2/3 occasions. He needs to hold the ball up a bit better too and would like to see him winning more headers, but he put in a decent shift yesterday.

The way he took his goal was promising. I'd say his finishing has improved a fair bit this season (again still a fair bit to go).

In fairness mate most people thought we'd completely had City off re Stones and that Williams would be a better defender. Ross Barkley left to Chelsea as he was available at a knockdown price. Deulofeu has ended up at Watford. At some point or other all 3 of the above lad were written off by Evertonian's as not good enough.

None of the above 3 are as good as the 3 names above but I don't think they are streets behind. However people don't really remember what was being said about the last crop of young players. Often the same people being critical of this set of youngsters and using the last set as a stick to beat them with were also pretty critical of the young players that went before them.

I see improvement with all of our young players. That's all you can ask. Thats what stalled with Stones, Barkley and Deulofeu in their time here. That's the riddle that needs solving really. If all of the above keep improving they will be more than good enough to play for Everton for some time to come as we will not be easily able to buy in much better than they would be if they reach their full potential (for some time yet).

Stones was our best defender.

Barkley was our best midfielder.

You can't say that about DCL, Davies, Kenny.

Barkley did improve under Koeman after stagnating and Stones became an England international under Martinez. They did improve.

Chelsea were willing to pay 35 million for Barkley.

If we were to sell the 3 of DCL, Kenny and Davies now you wouldn't get 35 million for all 3 together.

These players are simply not the same quality as the group before them.

Not one of them at the moment has made themselves un-drop-able.

They're not good enough to build a team around like Moshiri wants. Good enough to be a part of the squad but not currently good enough to start for what we want to achieve.

That's not being negative, that's the reality of the situation. Some people want to believe that these players are better than they are and are upset that others don't see these players with the same rose-tintes glasses they're wearing.

Its a shame football has gone past the days of 2 central strikers (Not alot of teams play that way now), it looks like he would do better with a striker partner..... Or perhaps some service which obv isnt the best it can be when in a bad run or confidence is low.

Barkley did improve under Koeman after stagnating and Stones became an England international under Martinez. They did improve.

If we were to sell the 3 of DCL, Kenny and Davies now you wouldn't get 35 million for all 3 together.

They're not good enough to build a team around like Moshiri wants. Good enough to be a part of the squad but not currently good enough to start for what we want to achieve.

That's not being negative, that's the reality of the situation. Some people want to believe that these players are better than they are and are upset that others don't see these players with the same rose-tintes glasses they're wearing.

I agree with most of that.

What I would say though, is that the passing of time has clouded our judgement on most of the above players. People did not think Stones was our best defender while he was here, lots of people didn't even want him in the team. Likewise people were largely happy to see the back of Barkley.

I also broadly agree with you that the crop of younger players probably aren't quite as good. I think we have lots more young players though, so it's a bit of a positive and a negative. Whereas back then we had 4 players really (the aforementioned 2 plus Lukaku & Deulofeu) we now have Davies, Calvert Lewin, Kenny, Lookman, Holgate & Vlasic. There are also players such as Baningime who have certainly shown promise.

It's probably fair to saying general none of the above are quite as good as the 4 players before. I do think though, that none of the 4 have fully reached their potential through 21-24 (with the possible exception of Stones) and so there is the possibility for our lads to get to a similar level of ability if they keep improving.

I take your point about not being good enough for the team Moshiri wants, however where we want to be is a fair way off currently. My view is, if the young players keep improving then they all stand a chance of being with us in the medium term while we become the team we want to be. We are currently a team that is a very ordinary mid table team. It will take some time for us to get back to where we were under Moyes (or indeed even with Martinez when the above 4 broke through).

Even if we look at Calvert Lewin, this season he is scoring a goal every 191 minutes. At the same age Lukaku was scoring a goal every 287 minutes (in the premier league, albeit with a great record in Europe) and the season before a goal every 173 minutes. So this season Calvert Lewin has improved his ratio from one every 468 minutes to one every 191. It's in and around where Lukaku was at. The important differences are 1- Lukaku did it playing about double the minutes Calvert Lewin will, so he will need to improve the breadth of his performance. 2 Lukaku would eventually drop this ratio to one every 130 minutes with us. So it continued to get better. That's the challenge for Calvert Lewin.

Its a shame football has gone past the days of 2 central strikers (Not alot of teams play that way now), it looks like he would do better with a striker partner..... Or perhaps some service which obv isnt the best it can be when in a bad run or confidence is low.
We did win the league in 1970 with one striker .......mind you he had a great winger and the Holy Trinity behind him............

I dont Think either was our best anything, but they both had potential and an english passport, raising their price tag by leaps and bounds. Decent on their day, but I was personally dancing in the streets when we sold Stones. Everyone seems to forget how our own fans booed him because of taking dumb chances, too often ending with us leaking goals. Barkley had one good season for us, maybe two. Had he not been a local lad, yous wouldnt think of him with blue rimmed glasses on and would understand just how overhyped he was and still is by some in here.

Well thats just nonsense when complete dross like Solanke goes for 20m by himself these days

Well thats just nonsense when complete dross like Solanke goes for 20m by himself these days
I don't think it is at all. You might get £15m for DCL maybe (you call Solanke dross but he's younger than DCL and has always been more highly rated, hence him having been POTT at the u20 world cup and getting a full England cap, and the fact he's coming for a CL side adds to the fee). You wouldn't get 20m for Davies and Kenny, not even close I don't think. With the best will in the world I'd say Kenny would fetch an absolute maximum of about £5m if we were to sell him.

I dont Think either was our best anything, but they both had potential and an english passport, raising their price tag by leaps and bounds. Decent on their day, but I was personally dancing in the streets when we sold Stones. Everyone seems to forget how our own fans booed him because of taking dumb chances, too often ending with us leaking goals. Barkley had one good season for us, maybe two. Had he not been a local lad, yous wouldnt think of him with blue rimmed glasses on and would understand just how overhyped he was and still is by some in here.
You can't forget stuff that didn't happen to be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.