2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they mostly have been although he did one yesterday which was superb - straight into Bernard's feet on the halfway line.

His best asset distribution wise is from open play, when he's doing a sidewinder kick thingy or he's got time on his left foot (although recently he's been fluffing those).

But there's been a few this season that have been superb. Is it Pickford's fault that those don't result in shots on target?

For example, that one to Bernard yesterday in the first half was identical in terms of trajectory and location on the pitch to the goal England scored v Spain.

But whereas we didn't get a shot off, we just ended up slowing the play down, England - in two passes - had scored. There's the difference.

It's someones fault.

Part his, part Silvas. My main point is;

Pickford's distribution is often trotted out as a tremendous asset, we're seemingly not using it well.

If it was 1975 you'd be right, but he's very much average age for a modern keeper.

Just looking at the ages of the Prem (first choice) Gks...

Leno (Arsenal) - 26
Begovic (B'mouth) - 31
Ryan (Brighton) - 26
Hart (Brunely) - 31 / Heaton (Burnley) - 32 / Pope (Burnley) - 26 (did all three)
Etheridge (Cardiff) - 28
Kepa (Chelsea) - 24
Guaita (Palace) - 32 / Hennessey (Palace) - 31
Pickford (Everton) - 24
Rico (Fulham) - 25 / Bettinelli (Fulham) - 26
Lossl (Hudds) - 29
Schmeichel (Leicester) - 32
Alisson (Liverpool) - 26
Ederson (City) - 25
De Gea (Man Utd) - 28
Dubravka (Newcastle) - 29
McCarthy (S'ton) - 29
Lloris (Spurs) - 32
Foster (Watford) - 35
Fabianski (West Ham) - 33
Patricio (Wolves) - 30

So actually, he's one of the youngest. In fact, he's five months older than Kepa, who's the youngest regular starter in the Prem.

I think they mostly have been although he did one yesterday which was superb - straight into Bernard's feet on the halfway line.

His best asset distribution wise is from open play, when he's doing a sidewinder kick thingy or he's got time on his left foot (although recently he's been fluffing those).

But there's been a few this season that have been superb. Is it Pickford's fault that those don't result in shots on target?

For example, that one to Bernard yesterday in the first half was identical in terms of trajectory and location on the pitch to the goal England scored v Spain.

But whereas we didn't get a shot off, we just ended up slowing the play down, England - in two passes - had scored. There's the difference.
That would only really work if we were bottom of the league/scored the least goals though wouldn't it? We've scored more than 13 teams in the league so far, so suggesting that our attackers aren't good enough to capitalise on these situations doesn't really add up. If some of our attacks break down then I would imagine even more attacks from Huddersfield, Fulham etc do, and yet they've managed to score in these situations.

I'm not saying this is a really important stat or anything by the way, just pointing out that again we seem to get people very keen to jump to his defence without really explaining why this would specifically apply to him.

Despite a lot of criticism towards him recently. I thought yesterday he had a pretty good game, minus a couple of kicks.

First half shaky, made a decent save from a fk and at least closed the angle on Brooks (not that he could do much more rly).

Once he made that save on Fraser, he just suddenly got his confidence back. That's all it is - he's a confidence player.

Yes, I worry that maybe he's a bit hot headed, but that's not arrogance. It's adrenaline. In time, and he has that, it will be about curbing that adrenaline and staying calm. Because he has the attributes to be an excellent goalkeeper.

That would only really work if we were bottom of the league/scored the least goals though wouldn't it? We've scored more than 13 teams in the league so far, so suggesting that our attackers aren't good enough to capitalise on these situations doesn't really add up. If some of our attacks break down then I would imagine even more attacks from Huddersfield, Fulham etc do, and yet they've managed to score in these situations.

I'm not saying this is a really important stat or anything by the way, just pointing out that again we seem to get people very keen to jump to his defence without really explaining why this would specifically apply to him.

We also had just three shots on target yesterday though?

I'm not saying that the attackers are to blame if Pickford kicks a long ball out. I just think that when he has got his distribution right, we haven't always made the most of it. Yesterday the two to Bernard (one a gk, the other a kick from his hands) were prime examples. Both got us in great positions but we haven't generated an effort at goal.

Whether that's something that will come with confidence is obviously a valid point.

The least of our playing problems, but for some people once they have a downer on someone they are never allowed to recover. Even Lukaku copped it continually from some. It's just human nature and we all do it. Now, about Gana.....

It's someones fault.

Part his, part Silvas. My main point is;

Pickford's distribution is often trotted out as a tremendous asset, we're seemingly not using it well.

Yeh, I agree.

I also think he hasn't been great recently with it. He's looked shaky. That, I think, is a confidence thing. Not just with him, but the entire side. Hopefully that comes back now.

J-Picks' from-the-floor distribution (trademarked term) has indeed been poor most of the season, with him frequently hoofing it out of play under no pressure whatsoever, or overhitting the ball when dinking it out to a full back, again under no pressure.

His from-hand distribution (again, trademarked term), however, is up there with De Gea for me. He needs to calm down and relax more. He can improve a lot still.

Just looking at the ages of the Prem (first choice) Gks...

Leno (Arsenal) - 26
Begovic (B'mouth) - 31
Ryan (Brighton) - 26
Hart (Brunely) - 31 / Heaton (Burnley) - 32 / Pope (Burnley) - 26 (did all three)
Etheridge (Cardiff) - 28
Kepa (Chelsea) - 24
Guaita (Palace) - 32 / Hennessey (Palace) - 31
Pickford (Everton) - 24
Rico (Fulham) - 25 / Bettinelli (Fulham) - 26
Lossl (Hudds) - 29
Schmeichel (Leicester) - 32
Alisson (Liverpool) - 26
Ederson (City) - 25
De Gea (Man Utd) - 28
Dubravka (Newcastle) - 29
McCarthy (S'ton) - 29
Lloris (Spurs) - 32
Foster (Watford) - 35
Fabianski (West Ham) - 33
Patricio (Wolves) - 30

So actually, he's one of the youngest. In fact, he's five months older than Kepa, who's the youngest regular starter in the Prem.
But the point is he's not that young in the sense that he's not a kid who can't be expected to play at a high level yet. He's very much in the same bracket as 6 other teams first choice keepers, and has more experience than some of them. Whether he's a couple of months younger or whatever isn't really a major deal I don't think. There's then the fact that many of the ones in the bracket older than him - De Gea, Hart, Lloris, Begovic, Hennessey for example - were playing regular PL football at his age, making the fact that they're older now pretty irrelevant. Finally there's the fact that other keepers at top clubs round the world are/were playing top level at a younger age. Courtois, Ter Stegen, Donnarumma etc.

But the point is he's not that young in the sense that he's not a kid who can't be expected to play at a high level yet. He's very much in the same bracket as 6 other teams first choice keepers, and has more experience than some of them. Whether he's a couple of months younger or whatever isn't really a major deal I don't think. There's then the fact that many of the ones in the bracket older than him - De Gea, Hart, Lloris, Begovic, Hennessey for example - were playing regular PL football at his age, making the fact that they're older now pretty irrelevant. Finally there's the fact that other keepers at top clubs round the world are/were playing top level at a younger age. Courtois, Ter Stegen, Donnarumma etc.

And all of them made mistakes (still do).

My point was he has time to correct those mistakes. Whether he ever does is obviously up for debate.

J-Picks' from-the-floor distribution (trademarked term) has indeed been poor most of the season, with him frequently hoofing it out of play under no pressure whatsoever, or overhitting the ball when dinking it out to a full back, again under no pressure.

His from-hand distribution (again, trademarked term), however, is up there with De Gea for me. He needs to calm down and relax more. He can improve a lot still.
Only does it once in a blue moon though, majority of the time he rushes his kicks out and just hands possession back to the opponents so they can come back at us again

So is Allisson, whose pass success rate is 78%. haha

Of course a lot of it is down to the team (Liverpool's keeper will have easier outballs) and instruction from the manager, but even the likes of Kasper Schmeichel is 65.6%. Thats higher than Vardy for them, a keeper doesn't dictate the lowest passing success rate. Allisson is more than Salah.

To be fair mate 6 yard passes to Van Dijk 100 times a game probably help those stats.

We also had just three shots on target yesterday though?

I'm not saying that the attackers are to blame if Pickford kicks a long ball out. I just think that when he has got his distribution right, we haven't always made the most of it. Yesterday the two to Bernard (one a gk, the other a kick from his hands) were prime examples. Both got us in great positions but we haven't generated an effort at goal.

Whether that's something that will come with confidence is obviously a valid point.
That literally does absolutely nothing to address the point though. Regardless of how many shots on target we had in one particular game, we score more goals than the majority of teams in the league, so saying Pickford doesn't contribute to as many goals as other keepers because of the poor quality of our attacks makes no sense. Again, it's not a key stat, but it's just a blind defence of him with no real substance to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.