2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe. But I compare Pickfords ability to kick a ball to other goalkeepers as oppose to an outfield player. And as I say he's better than 80% of the keepers in the league at it.
Cba looking but I'm sure someone's posted his kicking stats compared to other keepers in the league and his are one of the worst. Massively overrated because he pings one good one every blue moon

Quite the opposite imo. He was too cocky after the WC. All of sudden the media is starting to notice he's actually a pretty poor KEEPER and now he's feeliing pressure.

How was he cocky? I don't see any evidence of that. He'll be a great keeper for years and should be England #1 when he's available.

People seem to forget the lad is 24. 24!! Most keepers only get going at that age. Of course he's going to make the odd mistake here and there as every keeper does, but he does the basic things right the majority of the time. There are much worse keepers in the league. People expect him to be Buffon. Crazy stuff.

I've compared him to John Stones a few times in the past, and it's hard to shake that comparison. At times he can be an exceptional keeper, but you sense at the moment that he has a lot of howlers in him, which doesn't breed confidence in the defence. The comparison is especially so as both tended to make mistakes in areas that aren't their primary job. Stones would make blunders by trying to be too clever on the ball, and at the moment, a lot of Pickford's errors are with his feet as much as his hands (derby game aside of course). The question is whether the coaches and he can improve his game.

I wouldn't swap him for anyone. Whether that's popular or not, yes he has his moments. Anyone remember Thomas Myhre!!! Silva yesterday was shouting at him to calm down. He seems a bloke that always is on a rush. He has made mistakes for us and England this year but he's young and he will learn

He also comes rushing out of his goal when he should stay put and vice versa. He came out yesterday similar to the spuds game but he was closer to his goal and it didn't end in tears. But then he came charging out at exactly the right moment to save at the players feet he's got to improve his decision making.

This thing about his distribution being awful is a load of wham tbh. It's superior to every keeper in the league bar Ederson,Alisson and De Gea.
He has an ability to pick people out with long passes which very very few keepers do, but his bread and butter distribution is terrible. He slices and scuffs an awful lot. It's like the goalkeeping equivalent of Barkley's shooting, every now and again he produces an absolute beauty, but more often than not it's rubbish.

He has an ability to pick people out with long passes which very very few keepers do, but his bread and butter distribution is terrible. He slices and scuffs an awful lot. It's like the goalkeeping equivalent of Barkley's shooting, every now and again he produces an absolute beauty, but more often than not it's rubbish.
I also think he is relied upon to play with the ball a lot more than other keepers so his mistakes and mis-kicks are probably more noticeable. If you tasked Begovic for example to do what Pickford does, he'd really struggle.

I think a lot of keepers aim for an area with their kicks, like Colemans crossing, but Pickford aims at a man. He gets more right than wrong in his kicking imo.

Cba looking but I'm sure someone's posted his kicking stats compared to other keepers in the league and his are one of the worst. Massively overrated because he pings one good one every blue moon

This is mostly because he’s instructed to play more challenging passes, ie a lot of lofted passes out to the flanks.

They have a higher chance of error and many keepers just don’t play them, they either play the simple pass or hoof it.

That said, he can be careless and seems to be making more mistakes in the last few months, I think concentration is a key factor.

This is mostly because he’s instructed to play more challenging passes, ie a lot of lofted passes out to the flanks.

They have a higher chance of error and many keepers just don’t play them, they either play the simple pass or hoof it.

That said, he can be careless and seems to be making more mistakes in the last few months, I think concentration is a key factor.
That should help his figures surely? If you're hoofing it it's basically 50/50 whether your player gets it or not. If you're passing 20 yards out to the flanks then the chances of it being successful should be much, much higher than that, otherwise you really shouldn't be playing the ball. Also worth pointing out that probably 50% of his passes are those 10 yard sideways ones to the centre halves from goalkicks, which most keepers don't play as many of either.

I’d like to see that if you can find it sags?

It does feel like for every good long pass he does there’s about 87 slices out of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.