2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lehmann eventually, Zieler swiftly shipped back off to Stuttgart, Karius need I say more and Leno whom Emery would rather teach Cech how to kick rather than play him till now.

Lots of Bundesliga keepers look brilliant but not many I’ve seen do it when they move to another league.
Karius was poor, yes. But your evidence that Bundesliga GKs dont do well here cant be sustained. The results have been mixed and the sample size is way too small.

You just said the sample size is small so how can I have sustained evidence? I’m literally going off all we can go off.
Not sustained in a the sense of a continuous flow (though that too) but sustain in a convincing way the belief they are duds when they leave here after having failed.

Quite a few questions for you here mate...

So its okey to blame every other player than the one whos single role in the team is stoping balls from getting in the net, when a ball goes in the net?

So what is the role of a CB and how does it differ to a GK mate? Or any defender for that matter? And what about holding midfielders like Kante? Tackling is literally a method of goal prevention.

How in the world is a keeper letting in I dont even know how many goals since joining us not to blame,

This seems quite black and white. What about the shades of grey? That he has been responsible for some goals but our mistakes last season with the ball, off the ball, as a collective unit were also to blame.

To be really basic about this, the goal is massive. So if an attacker is getting a free shot off under no pressure, then it's difficult for any keeper to save it. It doesn't matter if that's De Gea, Lloris, Buffon etc. So the art of defending is ensuring free shots are kept to a minimum and from that point, how many saves can your keeper mate.

So i'd ask you to take a look at the goals we conceded last year. How many were free shots? How many of those did he save? Then look at how many your eyes tell you weren't free shots or were shots poorly executed that he should have saved.

Goals conceded isn't the metric to use in isolation for a goalkeeper. If it was, why did West Ham buy Fabianksi? Why did Burnley, who finished above us last season, buy Joe Hart? Why did Wolves buy Rui Patricio when their keeper had such an excellent season the year before?

He isnt what a lot of our fans want him to be, and unless he improves dramatically, he never will.

I'd be interested to know what exactly you believe our fans want him to be? And, given the above about properly and contextually assessing a goalkeeper, what he needs to improve dramatically on that games and experience won't provide? Look at De Gea in his first couple of seasons at Utd- did anyone then believe he would become the best keeper in the world? What makes him the best keeper? Because in the WC his shot / save ratio was horrendous.

Jordan is fairly average, with a good save in him here and there, but thats about it.

Even if that is true, which i don't believe it is, aren't we as a team pretty average? So he certainly fits a team in 10th place this season and 8th last season?

If you've got time, in order to contextualise what you mean by average, could you let us know whether you think the following keepers are better or worse than our Jord'?

Ederson
Kepa
Allison
Cech
Lloris
Begovic
Patricio
De Gea
Foster
Schmeichel
Hart
Ryan
Hennessey
Fabianski
McCarthy
Bertinelli
Hamer
Dubravka
Etheridge

De Gea / Ederson are the 2 best in the league
Kepa / Lloris are very good but make mistakes
Allison is 1st choice for Brazil over Ederson
Leno we need to see more of in the prem

Theyre the only 6 up there with Pickford and for Allison, Leno and Kepa wed need to see a lot more of them.

Id put Pickford in the top 4 in the league currently.

Wave a stick in the direction of the Bundesliga and you'll find about 4/5 ALL better than Pickford.
Sommer, Horn, Pavlenka, Baumann. All better than Pickford.

Are they available? Let's ask and see.

Karius and Leno were the two standout German keepers behind Neuer with Horn behind them. Baumann not even close.

What have Horn Pavlenka or Baumann done to say theyre better than Pickford? Not much id say.

Sommer is good but why hasnt a top side come in for him, hes no spring chicken.

Pickford has shown more than all of them, if we had gone for Leno then there may have been a need for a comparison...

Go back in this thread and you’ll see that I do talk warmly about him when he does well. He’s not a terrible keeper, but he isnt close to the keeper some proclaim him to be, which is why we need him to improve ASAP or buy us a better keeper.

And medival or not, a keeper main job is to goalkeep, and thats what Ill judge him on. If you think a good long ball now and then is worth more than clean sheets, thats fine, but I dont agree with your judgment at all.

Edit:
I agree with your first point, blame where blame is due. Not every goal is Pickfords’ fault, but too many are, which is why we need better.

This ^^^

People on here go overboard, I ageee with you, I do t think he’s gash, and he’s the best shot stopper we had since Martyn. He has won us points with some outstanding saves , but when I say he isn’t world class people on here go off. His distribution reel on YouTube looks amazing, until you watch him every week and realise it’s not actually that good , he doesn’t catch the ball from shots, I mean he does that thing like he parrys it onto the floor and then picks it up. His height is a concern, he makes mistakes , sometimes he gets away with them like saints Ings chance and the other night , sometimes he doesn’t wolves free kick, Westham goal . He’s not world class but he’s still a massive upgrade on stek, Howard and looks better than Robles ( although Robles looked average and didn’t produce many saves, he manganese to keep clean sheets)

Karius was poor, yes. But your evidence that Bundesliga GKs dont do well here cant be sustained. The results have been mixed and the sample size is way too small.

Mate! I can’t think of a single successful one in the prem. You’re saying his sample size is to small so he can’t use it as reliable evidence ? Yet there is basically no sample at all that supports your theory?

Go back in this thread and you’ll see that I do talk warmly about him when he does well. He’s not a terrible keeper, but he isnt close to the keeper some proclaim him to be, which is why we need him to improve ASAP or buy us a better keeper.

And medival or not, a keeper main job is to goalkeep, and thats what Ill judge him on. If you think a good long ball now and then is worth more than clean sheets, thats fine, but I dont agree with your judgment at all.

Edit:
I agree with your first point, blame where blame is due. Not every goal is Pickfords’ fault, but too many are, which is why we need better.

tenor.gif

The Only German keeper worth chatting about is ter stegen the barca keeper...

Neuer is done.

The rest are no better than our current number two

Tge best keeper in the world is oblak by a mile

This ^^^

People on here go overboard, I ageee with you, I do t think he’s gash, and he’s the best shot stopper we had since Martyn. He has won us points with some outstanding saves , but when I say he isn’t world class people on here go off. His distribution reel on YouTube looks amazing, until you watch him every week and realise it’s not actually that good , he doesn’t catch the ball from shots, I mean he does that thing like he parrys it onto the floor and then picks it up. His height is a concern, he makes mistakes , sometimes he gets away with them like saints Ings chance and the other night , sometimes he doesn’t wolves free kick, Westham goal . He’s not world class but he’s still a massive upgrade on stek, Howard and looks better than Robles ( although Robles looked average and didn’t produce many saves, he manganese to keep clean sheets)

Are you saying he should have saved this free kick? Mate he's not Elastic Man. That ball is hit with blistering pace and bend and into the top corner. That he even gets a finger to it shows how good he is.

Are you saying he should have saved this free kick? Mate he's not Elastic Man. That ball is hit with blistering pace and bend and into the top corner. That he even gets a finger to it shows how good he is.

That tiny step to his right meant that he couldn't get up to the ball properly is my guess...

Or he went with his wrong hand...

Or he's too small...

Or he's too arrogant he expected to save it...

Or he didn't position the wall correctly (obvious when you have played 5-a-side as long as I have!).

Etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.