Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totalling different situation mate. Clubs from other leagues can often pick up players on the cheap / have solid scouting links / agreements in places like South America.

Sadly as soon as a selling club see's a Prem club interested the price tag is trebled and the players demand a premium wage packet. Thats the way it is now English clubs are flush and if we completely reverse last seasons tactic and go all Daniel Levy then we'll start to fall behind not only the top 6 but clubs with billionaire owners around us as we havent the stature / CL football of Spurs to attract top players without big wages.
If it's going to be sustainable it's not going to be overnight. We can't spend like city and don't need to.

You've basically insinuated that Levy is the only person capable of pulling a club consistently in the top half to the status of challengers when that's ridiculous as a working premise.

If it's going to be sustainable it's not going to be overnight. We can't spend like city and don't need to.

You've basically insinuated that Levy is the only person capable of pulling a club consistently in the top half to the status of challengers when that's ridiculous as a working premise.

Every example people use are in leagues that are only dominated by 1-2 clubs.

Germany - Bayern
France - PSG
Spain - Real / Barca

So people say look at 'Monaco, Leipzig, Atletico' but they would never have achieved the same growth in england for the following reason:

England - Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs

There is simply too much competition in this league, too much money, clubs outside the elite top 6 like us, Leicester, Wolves, Palace, Fulham, Saints, Newcastle, Cardiff all owned by billionaires.

Its simply common sense if EFC only offer players 70-80k a week under a new wage structure and clubs like West Ham offer 120k a week the player will choose West Ham unless EFC offer CL football which we dont and can't without having CL quality players!

Its a vicious circle and one we have to tread carefully. Yes we need to cut the wage bill- but only in respect of getting crap players earning big money out the door and replacing them with quality players on the same high wage. I fear under Brands its going to be cost cutting but to the extent where we may miss out on gems.

Not particularly bothered about writing a big massive post about Keane, no offense mate and with all respect.

It basically boils down to whether your of he opinion that you can see quality in the lad or you don’t. I didn’t really make the point to win hearts and minds.

I’m just backing my eye and judgement, I think the lad has quality and will prove it.

I wouldn't forget he had an injury to his foot that caused serious infection causing him to miss a number of weeks. That can cause massive problems to the bodies ability to perform at the levels it's used to pre infection for a long time.

I'm not writing him off yet, hopefully we'll see a fit and healthy Keane this year and it'll be a far better proposition.

Every example people use are in leagues that are only dominated by 1-2 clubs.

Germany - Bayern
France - PSG
Spain - Real / Barca

So people say look at 'Monaco, Leipzig, Atletico' but they would never have achieved the same growth in england for the following reason:

England - Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs

There is simply too much competition in this league, too much money, clubs outside the elite top 6 like us, Leicester, Wolves, Palace, Fulham, Saints, Newcastle, Cardiff all owned by billionaires.

Its simply common sense if EFC only offer players 70-80k a week under a new wage structure and clubs like West Ham offer 120k a week the player will choose West Ham unless EFC offer CL football which we dont and can't without having CL quality players!

Its a vicious circle and one we have to tread carefully. Yes we need to cut the wage bill- but only in respect of getting crap players earning big money out the door and replacing them with quality players on the same high wage. I fear under Brands its going to be cost cutting but to the extent where we may miss out on gems.
We clearly differ so so much on this it's pointless trying to debate because the fundamentals are so divergent.

The whole point is that the business grows with the on field success. Thus you see Tottenham offering atypical contracts for their structure as they've steadily grown.

If you think we'll spend like the Mansours anytime soon you're crazy.

I wouldn't forget he had an injury to his foot that caused serious infection causing him to miss a number of weeks. That can cause massive problems to the bodies ability to perform at the levels it's used to pre infection for a long time.

I'm not writing him off yet, hopefully we'll see a fit and healthy Keane this year and it'll be a far better proposition.

Not to mention not having a regular center back partner all season, a defense without Coleman and Baines most of the season and replaced by an inexpierenced Kenny and a poor Martina for long chunks of the season. That’s before we talk about the powder puff central midfield in front of him.

Last edited:
We clearly differ so so much on this it's pointless trying to debate because the fundamentals are so divergent.

The whole point is that the business grows with the on field success. Thus you see Tottenham offering atypical contracts for their structure as they've steadily grown.

If you think we'll spend like the Mansours anytime soon you're crazy.

No one is expecting Mansour like spending, but when clubs like West Ham and Palace start offering bigger wages than us then it does become a concern as typically the clubs with the highest wage bills finish higher up the table.

We cant let last seasons awful recruitment scare us into not being ambitious / competitive.

No one is expecting Mansour like spending, but when clubs like West Ham and Palace start offering bigger wages than us then it does become a concern as typically the clubs with the highest wage bills finish higher up the table.

We cant let last seasons awful recruitment scare us into not being ambitious / competitive.
Not two seconds ago you said we have to spend like city did.

If you're truly worried about those clubs I have to disagree on that front as well. Are you worried that Wolves will surpass us too?

How we went from Steven Pienaar to Yannick Bolasie is beyond me, and we paid like 15 times as much for Bolasie.

Not two seconds ago you said we have to spend like city did.

If you're truly worried about those clubs I have to disagree on that front as well. Are you worried that Wolves will surpass us too?

Don't bother mate. After following several of Sixty Grand postings I have come to the realisation that said poster is just a cut-price davek without the same fishing skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.