Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's fantastic. Excellent records in both Portugal and Greece (if we had got him at any time before he came to England then lots more would be thrilled).

Hull had a 5 man squad and Phelan as manager before appointing Silva...he had no chance and almost saved them.

Hull - Unbelievable performance and galvanised the squad. With an awful side who were by far the worst in the league he would have easily kept them up if he had longer or they werent so doomed before he joined.

Watford - Was only able to sign Richarlison there and his defensive signings werent approved. Had them in champions league positions until we turned his head.

Very exciting appointment along with Brands.

In a few days time we'll be able to move forward, rapidly.
Exactly this
He gets the dressing room behind him and playing for him
He picked up the Dire Watford squad created motivated group and just as they were working for him he starts looking at us
They must have felt beyrayed like bridez at the altar
Our dressing room right now is not apparently a happy place
He will pull it together and alongside Brands will make something special

BFS could have won a double in Greece with Olympiakos,haven't Olympiakos won the league about 16 years in a row.

And the hull run looked like typical classic new manager bounce,the same we had with BFS for the 1st ten games or so.

His run last season where Watford didn't win for months has me slightly worried,still think we can push the boat out for someone better,it screams of him being another Koeman/Martinez.
7 in a row. Think it was more the way he won it with, broke a few records along the way.

BFS could have won a double in Greece with Olympiakos,haven't Olympiakos won the league about 16 years in a row.

And the hull run looked like typical classic new manager bounce,the same we had with BFS for the 1st ten games or so.

His run last season where Watford didn't win for months has me slightly worried,still think we can push the boat out for someone better,it screams of him being another Koeman/Martinez.

Our new manager bounce was down to an incredible amount of luck. We were still incredibly poor and just sat with 11 men behind the ball and hoped for something to happen. Rooney scoring vs Newcastle for example was a keeper error. Newcastle also hit the woodwork 3 times

Can’t wait to announce him. A manager with a sacking and a relegation on his record in two consecutive years.

What a club.

This.

I will reserve judgement if he is appointed and a first season anything close to Bobby's would be amazing and should be the goal and I will him give him 100% support like everyone else.

However, he has been relegated and then sacked from his previous job with a team in freefall. Everyone says that we "turned his head", but that in itself is alarming. We know that fundamentally he is able be distracted and lose focus. Not characteristics of a successful manager. How many times has Pochetino been distracted at Spurs? Hasn't affected the unbelievable building job he has done there. We also could have distracted Dyche this season, but he cracked on and steered Burnley to 7th. This really worries me.

If our player recruitment over the last few seasons has taught us nothing else, it's that if you buy players from struggling teams, their mindset needs a lot of work to change to a positive one.

I'm not sure I trust Silva's mindset given recent history, so he is not my first choice, but I will back him all the way.

I'll happily welcome any manager who's going to come in with a plan and the intention of playing attacking, front-foot football, as it'll be a relief after the horrific football we had to watch last season.

The fact that his approach and priorities don't differ much from Martinez' is a significant drawback, however. Silva could put himself at a huge advantage from the start by studying Martinez' failures here and seeking to avoid making the same mistakes with regards to defending and play off the ball, but I suppose these managers are insanely cocksure and this fella has been given almost no reason to believe his past approach won't continue to advance him in the game, even when it fails.

I expect the defensive side of the game to be neglected and him to be gone within 2 years, either to a bigger club after some short-term success, to eventually be found out, or booted onto the managerial scrap heap after abject failure here. Hopefully it's the former.
He’s not remotely like Martinez.

Wish ppl would attually do some research before posting

I'm still waiting for people to put up a viable suggestion of someone with 100% successful career that we could appoint?

Agree
As much as I dislike this appointment, I can see his style suiting is more than any of our 4 previous manager and yes that includes Moyes.

If he comes in and play Bolasie ahead of Lookman, all hell will broke lose here.

This post makes no sense.

He’s not remotely like Martinez.

Wish ppl would attually do some research before posting

Not remotely?

I can't say I've watched much of his teams, but having read a good number of the opinions of Hull & Watford fans that have, it seems clear that attention to e.g. set pieces in training was non-existent and stubbornness in sticking to an attacking approach in games where it wasn't optimal sounds very much like Martinez. Their styles definitely aren't the same, but it wasn't really style of play that saw Martinez fail here, imo. It was his failure to pay proper attention to defensive elements of the game.

Just like with Martinez I am neither for or against but what I do like is there's an unknown factor of how it will turn out and an indication that at least the intention and the way of going about the job will be positive and progressive.

That's much more palatable than chasing after Koeman or crapping their pants and hiring the corrupt oaf. With those two appointments I knew exactly what a waste of time they were. One left me counting the days until they were gone and the other made me switch off completely.

I'll be happily behind him if he gets it and just need Former Manchester United Football Club Legend Wayne Rooney out the door and I'll be actually looking forward to a season for the first time since Bobby's second.

Is there anybody that wants Silva? I mean I can clearly see the people who dont and the people, like me, who are willing to give him a chance, but is there anybody who is fully behind his appointment?

Just curious.

I am fully behind his appointment. He is young and has experienced success and disappointment but even with his disappointments there are so many positives. You have to be objective and look at the quality of the teams. Estoril were a nothing team until he got hold of them and won promotion then doing a good job by getting them up the league. Olympiacos win the league year in year out granted but he maintained that status and even won a straight 17 games a record in European league Football. First and only Greek team to win on English soil by beating Arsenal. Then Naivety took over and he foolishly took on the Hull job then Watford job. Those jobs are reputation killers because what can you do with them but alas he did as good a job as anyone could but unfortunately the blinkered people who cannot see that Hull and Watford are not Man City or Man Utd and just being in the PL is a bonus are pointing at those clubs as if he failed. At least he has had ups and downs now which is added experience at such a young age.

PS I forgot about Sporting who hadn't won anything in 7 years so wins a cup for them and took them to 3rd

Last edited:
Not remotely?

I can't say I've watched much of his teams, but having read a good number of the opinions of Hull & Watford fans that have, it seems clear that attention to e.g. set pieces in training was non-existent and stubbornness in sticking to an attacking approach in games where it wasn't optimal sounds very much like Martinez. Their styles definitely aren't the same, but it wasn't really style of play that saw Martinez fail here, imo. It was his failure to pay proper attention to defensive elements of the game.

Martinez was never defensive Silva is primarily defensively set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.