The Crushing of Evertonian Spirits

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been with the exception of 3 years in the 80's absolute rubbish SINCE 1970 I know people throw the moto round but I am 43 next month and have been a season ticket holder for around 25-30 years of that time and we have been rubbish for most of it, I remember as far back as the Colin Harvey days when we were only winning 2-3 away games a season, the club is set in mediocre mid-table rut and has been for all of my adult life. We had a few years under Moyes and one under Martinez where if we had the funds and bought well on top of what we already had at the club we could of pushed on, but we never.

There was always the excuse of no money for the lack of winning and then the hope we might be bought out by a super rich benefactor i.e. Chelsea, City etc which kept us going.

I think this year the harsh reality of being mediocre forever has hit home and has taken away the hope, and without hope you have nothing, having Fat Sam as manager has taken away the myth that some how we are different to the rest of the rubbish in the league and we will one day take back our place.

For all the bad Kenwright has done, nothing compares to appointing Big Fat Sam, this has been a silver bullet into the heart of any eternal hope I once had, and reality of our status in the games is horrible.

Sorry Craig not sure what you're asking?

Sorry, wasn't a question as a question, but rather to emphatically follow-up your point on the mediocrity of the bulk of the Prem . our miserable performance, which has people apparently ready to take a toasterbath, has us 8th. how freaking mediocre to terrible is 60% of the league that they sit below us.

You're still a bit new to all this aren't you?
*taps side of nose
Word to the wise, just 'koff, sit quietly at the back, listen and learn and stop spoiling it for the rest of us, you'll eventually pick up the correct attitude as you go.
How can hope be crushed if it is not reborn every season?

At first I thought here goes another negative thread , best to swerve

Then I read a number of the posts and thought yes maybe in the main there is a lot of negativity but there is a lot more to it than that , its fellow Evertonians letting out their frustrations on our forum about our team this is what we have to do to keep sane also it shows we are passionate supporters , so what the hell let me put in my 6p for what its worth

I was born and bred an Evertonian would not have had it any other way just the thought of being born a G/S makes me sick dont care what they have done

, this season has been one of the worst for too many reasons to repeat on this post , but we have to get out of this mess I have faith our Board has got the message therefore I am confident for the future although it may take a season or two !

keep the faith lads and bollocks to the G/S over the park !

I really don't think I've felt at a lower ebb following this club. I know it's hyperbole but it's absolutely killing me tonight.

• Sam Allardyce and Sammy Lee in the dugout
  • A fortune spent on mediocre players who clearly have no pride in the club
  • No trophy in 23 years
  • No memorable performance over an entire season
  • No derby win since 2010
  • That lot tearing Europe apart
I know supporting a football club isn't about the glory but is there actually a team that's had a more depressing existence than us over recent times? Does anyone actually foresee it getting better any time soon or are we going to amble to 40+ points every season with boring wins against terrible teams?

This season just feels like a sick joke put together at our expense.

The team that's had a (far) more depressing existence in recent times is Leeds United. When I moved from Liverpool to Leeds in 1951 I was signed by Leeds to play in the Junior team where I played for a couple of seasons before National Service. This was before Revie's days. So I keep track of what is happening at Leeds and its an on-going disaster. Frustrating at Goodison but there are many clubs far worse off. I also remember watching Everton play Grimsby Town in the old First Division and Grimsby have even been out of the leagues and into the Conference in recent years.

I have been watching Everton since the 1960's.

In this time I have seen glory and disappointment, but I have always passionate.

Since Martinez's second season, I have become dejected and bored.

Ask yourself this. Can you tell yourself our assistant manager wasn't at home jumping about with glee looking at BT2 last night?

Yep, thought so.

State of us.
Didn't one of our former players say he got goose bumps when the RS were singing you know what?

We can trace our decline back to 1985-1987, Hysel & when Howard left. Now it may upset many of you but I put Howard in the frame as well as the board for that. I know we had dark days when he first became manager and lots of the crowd wanted him out so you may say when he went to Spain he had a right but if anyone remembers his article in the Echo announcing his departure he said that he would always be an Evertonian and that he had achieved all he could at the club. I wrote to Howard and asked him what he meant as all he had to do to prove himself wrong was to walk over the park and have a look at their trophy room. That's what I a true evertonian, would have done. In comparison to that lot we achieved very little during the 80's. I was inconsolable at Howard's decision to leave. Hysel certainly changed everything and we suffered more than most because the board didn't manage properly. We should have planned to be at the very top when Europe came around again but we have never recovered. The crushing of Evertonian spirit is something we know well but never get used to. It does bother me what the RS do, we can't even beat them over 90 minutes even when they've played us with a team full of dross. Them winning the CL will just stick another boot into the laughing stock that we are.

In fairness Howard probably wouldn't have left had it not been for the European ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.