PL place target for the rest of the season

Where do we need to finish for the season now to be acceptable?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a fresh start to the season starting from today. We stand at 13th. There are 24 games to be played - so just under 2/3rds of the season left.

We find ourselves still with a squad who have underperformed, but who have somehow in the last 5 games dragged us 5 places up the table.

Confidence has been rocked and we're still shaky, and we have tough games to come. But we have a few players on the verge of a return to first team action and we have a chance in the January window to add an attacker and defenders to the squad.

What should be our PL target this season?

Given the start to the season, eighth is probably a realistic aim. To use management b/s, the stretch target would be seventh.

Given the start to the season, eighth is probably a realistic aim. To use management b/s, the stretch target would be seventh.
And tbf, Allardyce never copped out of the issue today in his press conference. He accepts that this is not the usual gig he gets and that top ten and progression in the cups is the base he wants to erect for us.

He's a likeable enough feller, it's just a pity he's dinosaur of a manager who has the strong whiff of dodgy dealings about him.

And tbf, Allardyce never copped out of the issue today in his press conference. He accepts that this is not the usual gig he gets and that top ten and progression in the cups is the base he wants to erect for us.

He's a likeable enough feller, it's just a pity he's dinosaur of a manager who has the strong whiff of dodgy dealings about him.
Maybe he just needs to immerse himself in a vat of that continental aftershave that Silva wears.lol
Seriously though, I think the immediate goal is to get us out of the company of the current, awful relegation fodder that surrounds us, which means finishing anywhere above top 10. We might even flirt with last season's dizzy heights. Stability first.

As a manager, I think he's a bit underrated, and that's partly because of that whiff of dodgy dealings.

Because of that whiff, I'm not overly happy about him being our manager, but he has a point to prove, and hopefully, he'll be motivated enough to show that he can do more with a modern day squad of players than most give him credit for. If he gets us top eight this season ( which isn't impossible ), then I think he'll have done enough to justify giving him am eighteen month contract, and he'll want to progress next season.

At the moment, I'd say it's 50/50 whether or not he'll do enough to have the job nailed on for next season, and, though he's by far the ideal Everton manager, I won't knock him just for the sake of knocking him.

Maybe he just needs to immerse himself in a vat of that continental aftershave that Silva wears.lol
Seriously though, I think the immediate goal is to get us out of the company of the current, awful relegation fodder that surrounds us, which means finishing anywhere above top 10. We might even flirt with last season's dizzy heights. Stability first.
It's what he'll be judged on mate. Top 10. From the horses mouth.

Rightly so too.

If he's serious about it being an 18 month contract he wants to extend, that's the minimum he has to achieve: 9th/10th.

If he gets us 8th I'd say he defo deserves a pat on the back...no matter how horrendous the football is likely to be.

As a manager, I think he's a bit underrated, and that's partly because of that whiff of dodgy dealings.

Because of that whiff, I'm not overly happy about him being our manager, but he has a point to prove, and hopefully, he'll be motivated enough to show that he can do more with a modern day squad of players than most give him credit for. If he gets us top eight this season ( which isn't impossible ), then I think he'll have done enough to justify giving him am eighteen month contract, and he'll want to progress next season.

At the moment, I'd say it's 50/50 whether or not he'll do enough to have the job nailed on for next season, and, though he's by far the ideal Everton manager, I won't knock him just for the sake of knocking him.
In all likelihood he'll struggle to get us top 8. That might be beyond his capabilities. depends on how the players respond too.

It's what he'll be judged on mate. Top 10. From the horses mouth.

Rightly so too.

If he's serious about it being an 18 month contract he wants to extend, that's the minimum he has to achieve: 9th/10th.

If he gets us 8th I'd say he defo deserves a pat on the back...no matter how horrendous the football is likely to be.

A win tomorrow could take us 9th, if results go our way, then theres a bit of a gap to catch Burnley and Watford who IMO, will both fall away slightly, they should be the teams we try and pass, as a starting point, but im getting ahead of myself, 1 game at a time really at this point, see where we at after these 9 games in the next 4 weeks, 24 points to play for Vermin, Chelsea and United in amongst some "easier" games, but it all depends which Everton turns up and whether Sam can get the right reaction.

This next month will define our season and shape our recruitment for the winter window, if we "kick on" from Wednesday, well who knows, we can certainly try and fight for a Europa, but then the other side of the coin is that if we fail to pick up results we will get dragged right back into the mix, its touch and go currently, but the future seems a little brighter currently.

A win tomorrow could take us 9th, if results go our way, then theres a bit of a gap to catch Burnley and Watford who IMO, will both fall away slightly, they should be the teams we try and pass, as a starting point, but im getting ahead of myself, 1 game at a time really at this point, see where we at after these 9 games in the next 4 weeks, 24 points to play for Vermin, Chelsea and United in amongst some "easier" games, but it all depends which Everton turns up and whether Sam can get the right reaction.

This next month will define our season and shape our recruitment for the winter window, if we "kick on" from Wednesday, well who knows, we can certainly try and fight for a Europa, but then the other side of the coin is that if we fail to pick up results we will get dragged right back into the mix, its touch and go currently, but the future seems a little brighter currently.
It's in the air. We have possibilities...as i told you the other day when you said you;d written the season off and wanted it over. :coffee:

It depends as much on these players. How do they react to Allardyce? Badly? We'll struggle. Professionally? We stand a good chance of getting into the top 8 as per the most optimistic hopes.

"...it's my job to steer them back in the right direction and get among the European places" - Sam Allardyce.

You cant ask for fairer than that under the circumstances. He's not really wanted here (or needed, imo), but he's set his stall out to be judged come May.

I respect that.

It's in the air. We have possibilities...as i told you the other day when you said you;d written the season off and wanted it over. :coffee:

It depends as much on these players. How do they react to Allardyce? Badly? We'll struggle. Professionally? We stand a good chance of getting into the top 8 as per the most optimistic hopes.

I hated Everton the other day, I get emotional!!

Ive read a lot about Sam, I think he will be ok for us, not amazing, but he will be better for us than the last 2 clowns, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.