10 most seismic Everton matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought the Arsenal at home 3 nil under Martinez was like a watershed moment. Thought we were actually about to become challengers. But turned out to be as good as it got and we've been pretty rubbish ever since.

Everton 5. Utd 0.

We began to dream.

This. The perfect Everton performance. 40,000 walked out of the ground that day and all you could hear was....."If we play a 10th as well as we did today, we will win the league". It was a fantastic day, my favorite. The following Tuesday we knocked them out of the Milk Cup at their place, and then went to Anfield an won. Heady days indeed!

The 4-4 against the scruffy biffs always reminds me of my dad shouting at me for screaming and shedding a tear or 20 whilst listening to this on the radio. Wasn't a football fan as much as me so didn't understand why I would be so upset over Football.

That was a game that just typified Everton, backs to the wall against all odds and giving a glimmer of hope

next round knocked out by Bloody west ham ffs

The 4-4 against the scruffy biffs always reminds me of my dad shouting at me for screaming and shedding a tear or 20 whilst listening to this on the radio. Wasn't a football fan as much as me so didn't understand why I would be so upset over Football.

That was a game that just typified Everton, backs to the wall against all odds and giving a glimmer of hope

next round knocked out by Bloody west ham ffs
I remeber that game well, Dalglish resigned the nest day, i heard a rumor a while ago that there was a few Liverpool players on bungs that day

European Cup 1/4 Final v Panathinaikos in 1971.
I've had both the fortune and in many cases the misfortune to be present at every match mentioned here so far, but with hindsight this match is probably the most significant. Our biggest failing as a club is to have never won what is now the pinnacle of club football. We've never even competed a final, and this game was the closest we came, despite the ref we should have done better. Having one of those pesky stars is no panacea as Forest(2) and Villa (1) will tell you. But having one does at least support a claim to 'big club' status. It's worse when you realise we've never meaningfully competed in it since.
On that 4-4 game, the (strong) rumours where flying round the city by the following day. I immediately put it down to embittered reds, but when you look at our goals again.....well ,you certainly wouldn't bet against it.

Home to Spurs 1-0 Young
Inter game 1963 - goal disallowed

Any from; 3-2 Forest storey-moore, 0-1 semi Vs City, the Astle cup final

Panathinaikos out on away goals
71 rs semi
Clive Thomas
Carlisle home and away
Norman 'kin Whiteside
The Lineker final.

Par for the course for your Ev.

Last 20 years, not strictly just necessarily one game and more a case of important moments:
  1. Everton 1 - 1 Coventry City (97-98). Staying up.
  2. Coventry, Newcastle, Charlton and West Ham (98-99) - Kevin Campbell turning our fortunes around and keeping us up
  3. Everton 2 - 1 Bradford (00-01). We went behind, Carbone missed 2 penalties for them, and that sent them down and meant we were safe.
  4. Everton 2 - 1 Fulham (01-02). Start of the Moyes era and eased relegation fears.
  5. Everton 1 - 0 Liverpool and Everton 1 - 0 Man United (04-05). Needed to win 2 big crunch games and did it on our way to 4th.
  6. Villarreal 2 - 1 Everton (05-06). Collina and getting so close to the CL.
  7. Everton 2 - 0 Fiorentina (07-08). One of the greatest disappointing nights at Goodison. May have gone on to win it, had we progressed.
  8. Everton 1 - 2 Chelsea (08-09) - FA Cup Final. Closest we've got to Silverware since 1995
  9. Everton 3 - 0 Arsenal, Everton 2 - 3 Crystal Palace (13-14). The best performance i've seen to one of the worst in 10 days.
  10. Sunderland 3 - 0 Everton (15-16). The end of Martinez. Nearly 7,000 fans went to the SOL in 2012...we were down to 700 for this game.

Talk Sport/Paddy Barclay doing a piece about United's, cos he has a book out I think.

Got me thinking. Not the best, and not always for the best reasons. But ones that if turned out different, well, things might be different now.

Clumsy intro, but hope you get the drift.

Some obvious ones for me.

Coventry and Wimbledon to get them out of the way.

Both Bayern semis.

Spurs semi in 95. Demolished. Plus the final, obvs.

Getting 4th, then Villareal.

Watford FA Cup.

Oxford away.

Bearing in mind we have probably play a gazzillion matches, and I havnt included one league winning game, fully expect a varied, er, variation.

Stockport away

Status
Not open for further replies.