Is our squad rotten?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...need to give Vlasic a bit of time. I'm surprised he started today, must have impressed in training.
Yeah ... maybe a bit harsh on the lad.... the others though, decent enough players who will all have good careers but personally I don't think they are good enough to compete at the level we need them to be.

Physically they're all exactly the same. Rooney, Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin, Baines, Jagielka, Besic and Klaassen are so one paced. Not one of them beating anyone to the ball or going past anyone when they've got. Must've been so easy to play against tonight.

In terms of the squad being rotten: the right back situation is a complete joke right now- neither Holgate or Martina are anywhere near good enough. Baines is well past it for me but with the way things are that goes completely under the radar. I won't even bother going into the other issues surrounding the number ten position and no striker being bought because we're all well versed in that.

Holgate
Calvert lewin
Besic
Vlasic

Just not good enough to be playing for any team with any kind of ambition to win things.

Did you notice how after we failed to sign a striker in the transfer window, Calvert Lewis suddenly became good enough? Denial ain't just a river.

You've named 4 players here.. you could name four more and your description would still be the same. It's embarrassing how blinkered and naive we as a fan base have been this summer.

Whilst I think most can agree that Martinez was wrong and not up to the job, but the way our squad downed tools in his final months, even during the cup semi-final was frankly a disgrace for any professional, let alone the senior ones we have at our club.

At the time we gave them the benefit of the doubt, saying it was Martinez was the wrong 'un and they'd be better under the right manager, but tonight reminded me of those dark days under Martinez. The squad just don't appear bothered.

It makes me wonder whether it isn't the manager but rather these so called professionals we've got in our squad.
Its the manager Unsy would turn us around in 3 games !

watch the under 23s they are organised they have pace the have WIDTH!
They're also playing against other u23's

I understand your frustrations but when you throw unsworth in and he can't get a tune out of thIs lot then what? eArl Barrett?

Taxi John carey got sacked for coming 5th and signing the GV and Roy Vernon - famusly sacked in a Taxi!
upload_2017-9-14_20-49-53.jpeg

They're also playing against other u23's

I understand your frustrations but when you throw unsworth in and he can't get a tune out of thIs lot then what? eArl Barrett?

I watched the Chelsea game the other week when they came up against Hazard. Chelsea had some great players but Everton were organized and methodical, running out 3-0 winners away from home.

It's not just the new players though.

effing Jagielka still starting high profile European games for us. He wasn't even that good in them when he was at a decent level.

We're knackered mate.
Jags.....Difficult to watch one of my favourite players of recent years , the heady days of him and Lescott / Distin are just a faded memory now.
Should have been replaced 2 seasons ago.... very tough watching him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.