Everton Youth Teams Thread

Problem with Dowell is he hasn't taken any chance he's had with the senior team. Whereas Davies came in and made an impact, Dowell was arguable ahead of him and got more opportunities but didn't really take them. Even in the showcase U23 Derby at Goodison he was awful and he's supposed to be the driving force of that side. Talented player no doubt but does he have the mentality to make it or is he going to be another Kissock Vidarsson Ledson.

that goal has just made me so happy, absolutely fantastic play

Problem with Dowell is he hasn't taken any chance he's had with the senior team. Whereas Davies came in and made an impact, Dowell was arguable ahead of him and got more opportunities but didn't really take them. Even in the showcase U23 Derby at Goodison he was awful and he's supposed to be the driving force of that side. Talented player no doubt but does he have the mentality to make it or is he going to be another Kissock Vidarsson Ledson.

not questioning you, just asking as im not sure, but what chances has he been given in the first team?
other than about 10 mins or so against Krasnodar (spelling?) or whoever it was, I cant think of too many (I mean more than 5-10 mins)

bit harsh, hes only played 2 games, both dead rubbers and one when he was just turned 17

not questioning you, just asking as im not sure, but what chances has he been given in the first team?
other than about 10 mins or so against Krasnodar (spelling?) or whoever it was, I cant think of too many (I mean more than 5-10 mins)

played against norwich on last day of the season when unsworth was in charge

Also wasn't Krasnodar a bit weird in that there was an injury early on that messed up our attacking plans and players got shifted into unfamiliar roles?

Obviously that is something that players have to learn to adapt to but for young players who are already nervous the ripping up of prematch tactics wouldn't help in them performing to their best.

played against norwich on last day of the season when unsworth was in charge

as you said earlier, bit harsh to judge on them two

I personally feel he is going to be a key player in the team we hope to be in the next 3-5 years, but I think if we don't get there in time he will be a luxury we cant afford, what will happen to him then I don't know

I think we should get him out on loan to a top end Championship team who will be expecting to challenge for promotion

he clearly has an exceptional talent, and does a lot of the things you cant teach, also has a great football brain on him

im a bit weird, but I really loved how he adjusted his stride to put that one in first time, when other players would fall over their own feet and/or scuff the shot

I seem to remember him coming on against Bournemouth he didn't do anything but he was bigger quicker & put mor of a shift in than I expected. Didn't look out of place at all.

Can't recall him getting a chance under koeman

bit harsh, hes only played 2 games, both dead rubbers and one when he was just turned 17

I'm sure he played a few times in pre season for Koeman and seemed to be anonymous. I think his talent is brilliant but I just hope has enough to make the next step like Davies did. Would be tragic not to see Davies Dowell and Walsh all in the first team.

Also wasn't Krasnodar a bit weird in that there was an injury early on that messed up our attacking plans and players got shifted into unfamiliar roles?

Obviously that is something that players have to learn to adapt to but for young players who are already nervous the ripping up of prematch tactics wouldn't help in them performing to their best.

yeah atsu did his hamstring after his first run and dowell came on for him after like 10 mins, and probably had to slot in where atsu was

I'm sure he played a few times in pre season for Koeman and seemed to be anonymous. I think his talent is brilliant but I just hope has enough to make the next step like Davies did. Would be tragic not to see Davies Dowell and Walsh all in the first team.

id like to think he wouldnt be cast aside on such limited showings. calvert-lewin has been given plenty of chances despite mostly underwhelming displays.

The great thing was that our three who played really well , Kenny, Dowell and Lookman did so by doing the things we've seen them do before but doing more of them. Kenny was just a constant live wire in attack and defended well too, at last Dowell is starting to do what we know he can do consistently throughout the game , no fading out . Lookman built on his last game , tricky feet , good going forward and again was impressed with his work rate, he's potentially a cracking player with a bit more training to add to his natural talent. DCL struggled a bit to make an impact I thought and I think will struggle to maintain a starting place but offers enough off the bench.
Only saw the first half but thought England played well. Our lads all did well with Kenny being the outstanding player on both sides. Just watched the goal and great to see two of our lads combining so well for what must be one of the best goals of the tournament so far. No a 30 screamer but brilliant build up play and final execution.

Lookman showed some brilliant touches and I think Dowell has been more involved during his minutes on the pitch here than I 've ever seen him. There's no doubt he has absolute quality in that left foot. Think you're being a bit harsh on DCL. He doesn't have the pace of Armstrong but thought his hold up play was pretty good and brought other players into the team. I think this squad is used to having a speed merchant up front so were playing a lot of balls into space for him which isn't his game.

Coming top of the group gives them a game against a best 3rd place team in the next round but not sure how the draw pans out after that. I think this was the hardest group so to finish top is an excellent achievement and it's great that our lads are at the forefront, not just squad players.