5 games to go - as good as it gets or can it be maintained?

Status
Not open for further replies.
7th was minimum requirement for this season really as non of the smaller clubs have performed. We've achieved that now it's up to us to put the pressure on other teams by winning as many if not all of our remaining games. 15 points will see us achieve 6th and maybe even 5th. High point of the season for me would be if we can go to Arsenal and get one of the 3 monkeys of our backs. Next season depends on the window if the board are small time 5th-7th trend will continue if they decide it's time Everton returned to the big time we could get in the top 4. The thing I like about Koeman is his willingness to change systems game to game and even within games. The previous managers both stubbornly stuck with systems that were clearly not working.

We're best of the rest again, which is where we've been for some time mostly because the Villa's and the Newcastle's have blown it over the years whilst we remained conservative.

The Southampton's and the West Hams haven't had the pulling power to bridge the gap to us.

On the plus side, we've put a bit of distance between us and what's below so that should help with recruitment now that we supposedly have a few quid. This summer is an opportunity that previous managers didn't have.

In theory, we've got money to spend, we've put a recruitment team in place and have a coach with a recognised name. We've got a good reputation now for developing young players, and outside of the established CL calibre players, we should be an attractive option for players who want to make a name for themselves in a decent team.

2 worries I would have though;

1. The Europa League means we might look to bulk up the squad with numbers rather than quality. We should use it to bed in new players, build fitness in others and develop some of the younger ones.

2. Koeman has a history as a streaky coach and whilst his teams can go on a good run, they are equally susceptible to troughs which last for months. That trend needs to be broken.

If Koeman can keep hold of Lukaku and Barkley, adding a few high calibre signings then yes CL maybe reachable.

Without big money backing from the board, I expect 5th to 7th again next season. This is the reality. To close the gap, you spend money to buy better players.

If Koeman can keep hold of Lukaku and Barkley, adding a few high calibre signings then yes CL maybe reachable.

Without big money backing from the board, I expect 5th to 7th again next season. This is the reality. To close the gap, you spend money to buy better players.

If we kept both, then signing VVD would be ideal

A post-Lukaku era will tax any Everton manager. If that happens we can forget about progress IMO. He'll be back to playing a Pelle type as he did at both Feyenoord and Southampton. That'll test everyone's patience I can tell you.

Yeah a post Rom era doesn't bare thinking about. He's good for us and us for him, I just hope there is some sort of recognition of this from everyone and he gives us another season or two.

I think
A post-Lukaku era will tax any Everton manager. If that happens we can forget about progress IMO. He'll be back to playing a Pelle type as he did at both Feyenoord and Southampton. That'll test everyone's patience I can tell you.

The post Lukaku era will be tough.
Pella scored almost a goal a game at Feynoord and did well at Southampton who also turn their squad over every year. Pelle was also a starter in an albeit poorer Italy team.
Sometimes you have to make the best of what you have and that's what most managers have to do.
I think we have improved as the season has went on and will wait to see how RK adapts to whatever happens over the summer.

Or we could do a Leicester.
There are many teams who have spent vast sums and still haven't won a title.
It's a unique formula

It's a unique formula

The Mosh is in charge now that is a big difference.

To keep your best player at the club like Lukaku you need to purchase quality. I am hoping this summer will see the change of mentality in buying players.

It's a unique formula

Exactly.

The Mosh is in charge now that is a big difference.

It's not, the two are mutually exclusive, and he's already shown a willingness to sell our better players when the right offer comes in (Stones).

To keep your best player at the club like Lukaku you need to purchase quality.

So Lukaku is going to stay on his current deal because we've bought good players, or leave because he can play Champions League and get close to £200k a week elsewhere?

Completely illogical.

Yeah a post Rom era doesn't bare thinking about. He's good for us and us for him, I just hope there is some sort of recognition of this from everyone and he gives us another season or two.

I think

The post Lukaku era will be tough.
Pella scored almost a goal a game at Feynoord and did well at Southampton who also turn their squad over every year. Pelle was also a starter in an albeit poorer Italy team.
Sometimes you have to make the best of what you have and that's what most managers have to do.
I think we have improved as the season has went on and will wait to see how RK adapts to whatever happens over the summer.
A Pelle type would be a lot of early balls into the box and I dont think that style is fruitful to us, as this present impressive run based on playing the ball through midfield bears testimony too.

Win 5 out 5 for C/L.
Win 4/5 including Arsenal to finish 5th
Win 3/5 to avoid the July qualifier.
Win any less and it's a long haul in EL.

Utd play Chelsea home( hopefully lose)
Anderlect on Thursday
Utd are away to Burnley next Sunday( tough game)
Then away to City in the week(another tough game) Utd could get 0 points from them, most likely to lose both Chelsea and City game.

Good chance we could go 3 clear of them before they play Burnley with a better GD

Win 5 out 5 for C/L.
Win 4/5 including Arsenal to finish 5th
Win 3/5 to avoid the July qualifier.
Win any less and it's a long haul in EL.
I really think we can forget CL this season mate. Even with 5/5 the RS still need to lose 3 and I just can't see that happening given their run in. And City's form is just too good for them to slip up that much too. Best we can hope for is 5th which we could get with 4/5 (including Arsenal) as Arsenal seem to be in freefall and United will put their eggs in CL qualification through EL. Realistically, I can see us having a head to head with Arsenal for 6th on the last day of the season. What we need to do, and I think RK will instil this in the players, is keep it going until the end of the season to ensure that the gap between us and the "top 6" is minimal as this will be a big psychological boost for the future.

As for next season, best case scenario is Ross signing a new contract and none of the big boys coming in with a big enough bid for Lukaku. Bring in a couple of big signings and Rom may, just may, decide to sign a new contract. As I say, best case scenario. Even so, we have to assume that City, United, RS and Arsenal will all improve next season, so it's going to be even harder to finish top 4 than it was this season. We need to keep our two star players for a start, bring in 2 new central defenders one of which must be top class, a class playmaker and a good foil/cover for Rom up front. Probably a top keeper too but I don't want to waste money on anybody that isn't a clear improvement on Robles, and most of the names in the hat seem to fall into that category.

Qualifying for CL next season is going to be incredibly difficult, but I think our form in 2017 proves that it won't be impossible. Europa league will complicate things further but Liverpool and Chelsea will also have to cope with the extra games next season too.

Status
Not open for further replies.