Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What worries me is that even when we replace Martinez, next season will be an underwhelming one because our players are used to being so unfit.

It will take more than one preseason to get them up to speed. We won't see a recovery from this nonsense for a couple of years.

Sorry, I don't agree with that.

A couple of months hard training can make a massive difference to fitness levels in any athlete. The Euros will interrupt things, and I suspect some hard training would come as a massive shock to many of our squad, but I reckon the majority would react positively and relatively quickly.

Totally agree, just as today's game ultimately was one of missed chances, our whole season has been one of missed opportunities, such a waste, such an opportunity to move on, even prior to Moshiri arriving, it makes my blood boil. You never know in life or business whether a missed opportunity will come your way again, hence you must grab it when it presents itself - we have failed spectacularly in doing that.

Spot on mate. I think there could be a film in that or at least for Bobbys autobiography in 10 years time "The Spectacular Failure"

A couple of months hard training can make a massive difference to fitness levels in any athlete. The Euros will interrupt things, and I suspect some hard training would come as a massive shock to many of our squad, but I reckon the majority would react positively and relatively quickly.
If they didn't they'd rightly be bombed out by a new manager.

Initial thoughts, is he going?

Almost certainly - not only from the logic of him going now, but the fact that it is now totally accepted that we have been talking to a number of high quality replacements.

Also, I'd like to ask you about a possible new manager.

The candidates mentioned here and subsequently in the press are the people we have been speaking to, it will either be one of them or someone of a similar standing, I don't have any specific knowledge on who may be the preferred/most likely option.

Anyone else just feel sorry for him? He's out of his depth but I really feel he connected with the club during his tenure and wanted only the best for us. I hope this is all as amicable as it can be and we treat him with utmost dignity and respect.

Almost certainly - not only from the logic of him going now, but the fact that it is now totally accepted that we have been talking to a number of high quality replacements.

The candidates mentioned here and subsequently in the press are the people we have been speaking to, it will either be one of them or someone of a similar standing, I don't have any specific knowledge on who may be the preferred/most likely option.

Jose Jose Jose

Sure a tough pre-season makes a difference to the individual, but we're talking about the fine margins of competing against other squads that are already well-drilled and clearly much fitter than ours. It will take a lot more out of us to catch up to them than it will for rival squads to maintain/marginally improve their fitness.

That's not exclusive to football either, professional athletes have to be on it consistently (give or take a short, well-managed off season). Look at boxers who let themselves go then train intently for a fight - they usually end up getting battered by opponents that don't have to waste their training time working mostly on their fitness. It takes a lot more out of the body than you can imagine, especially at a professional level.

I used to run at an elite level and no matter how hard I trained, I couldn't get near my PB if I'd had more than a month off fitness training.

This Everton team have been under-trained fitness-wise for at least a couple of seasons and it would be foolish to underestimate what a big issue that is.

I predict right now that if we have a new manager that instills fitness in to the squad as a top priority, that no matter what his methods and experience consist of, we will tail off in the closing stages of next season because of our fitness levels.

I really hope he doesn't sit in our dugout as manager ever again.What's the point in drawing this out any longer.Someone like Joe Royle can see out the season and then in the summer we hire a manager that a club of this stature and heritage deserves.The weakest United side in 20 years stood between us and a place in the final and he still blew it.I just want to wake up tomorrow to the news that the Martinez era of phenomenal failure and mediocrity is over.

Does anyone else feel we didn't really pick up until after the penalty, rather than straight from the 2nd half KO?

Better start to 2nd half - managers team talk. Better after a defining moment - collective player anger/shame/angst etc. Not really to do with the manager.

the pen miss was the turning point in the game 100%, think the players just went ohj sod this and just went for it collectively from that point on

It was fun in the first season and we believed you were the man to take us to the big time but the second season we believed your excuses that the Europa League took our main concentrations. You've been found out now Roberto and I'm sorry BUT it's over, it's time to move on and good luck in the future

R. REDDINGTON

Things are so bad that even my red family and friends have stopped winding me up. The longer this guy stays in charge the further we fall. I know I'm only saying what everybody is saying but Martinez needs removing from our club. He has caused and continues to cause damage to our clubs moral and mentality every minute he remains in charge.

If he is in charge for the Bournemouth game and you are undecided whether to demonstrate or not then just do it. It's not a case of what does it matter if he stays until the end of the season, it does matter. The board needs to send out a clear message to the fans that what has unfolded isn't good enough. Anything else just leaves us in this moribund state for longer than we deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.