Two steps forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Irony here. A win would have put us 3 points off 5th in the league. A loss has the likes of west brom 3 points off us instead.

Still not wanting to commit to either side of mid table it seems

Just shows how crazy this season is, 4 weeks ago people were worried about is getting sucked into a relegation battle with Europe a long shot. Now we are within touching distance of Europa, and should have been closer still after yesterday

No I didn't, and hang on since when have the mighty Stoke that so many have compared us to been a poor side?

West Brom turned up yesterday and did a job on us. Our performance was far from abysmal. They frustrated us and played on the counter, just as we have done to several sides on the road this season. They also got extremely lucky... When we tried to do exactly the same against Man City - when the game changed on a horrid refereeing decision - Martinez got the blame.

And it's not about accepting the performances, but they just really really haven't been that bad.
Lucky ? How does an unmarked player next to the net constitute luck? And against two Everton players ? Not to mention Rpbles incompetence within a simplistic set piece. Very good players, but so were the Green Bay Packers before Lombardi came to town.

Lucky ? How does an unmarked player next to the net constitute luck? And against two Everton players ? Not to mention Rpbles incompetence within a simplistic set piece. Very good players, but so were the Green Bay Packers before Lombardi came to town.

Again, you've taken my point and twisted it.

Please tell me where I said that their goal was down to luck?

They scored because McCarthy - consistently one of our best players - fell asleep at a set-piece and drifted from the far post. That set-piece came about because of a mistake by Coleman, who should have got rid.

That's two players making the mistake. Not under the instruction of the manager, but two experienced players messing up and it cost us.

And you cannot in anyway blame Robles for that. Give me him, a keeper who actually attempts to come out and get the ball, rather than mr Flappy stay-on-the-line.

WBA got lucky in the sense that none of our 34 shots went in. They got lucky in that we hit the inside of the post twice and they didn't go in, and that three deflected shots went just wide. They got lucky how we were getting lucky away at City in the cup until Atkinson decided he couldn't see that the ball had gone out (ironically yesterday in the Arsenal-Leicester game he managed to spot that the ball had gone out in pretty much an identical situation where he and the linesman were in exactly the same place, but I'm going off on a tangent...)

My basic point is that WBA came to frustrate us and knick something if they could. Negative, but it worked, and Pulis thrives off of that style. Fair play to them.

They had 10 players in their box for the majority of the second half, yet we still created a load of chances - but our players (like Barkley and Lennon) could not apply the finish.

I'm not saying it was a magnificent performance, but it was far from bad. Everything we did up until that finishing touch was superb - but as I say, had Barkley's strike gone in we'd have probably gone on to win easy.

At the end of the day, football is a game of ifs and buts. These types of games happen to a lot of sides, not just us. It's disappointing and frustrating, but it happens and the most important thing is our reaction to it.

Three 3-0 wins on the bounce - everything's ok in the world.
Pulis' zombies turn up and scab a goal - change the manager.

As BlueToff said: fickle.

Next week we win, then it's ok again.

Unreal behaviour.

Why not just accept that when you have a new young squad still developing then you'll have ups and downs? Or maybe some people prefer running round with their hair on fire? 'Kin drama queens are killing Everton.

See? Second-guessing why people are getting fed up with martinez (and you, I might add). You're no authority on the mindest of others. Ever thought that martinez might have bought himself a bit more patience from our fans by the last two wins? Ever thought their frustrations have boiled over and their patience ran out because of the course the entire season's taken, and not just on the last game?

No. Why?

Because YOU know best. You KNOW that everyone's fickle - unless they conform to your 'Patience of Job' mindset. Well you can 'koff with your authoritative, passive/aggressive, sneering attitude AFAIC.

People know what they see; and if they don't like it then tough titty if they vent it. So what if they go on the last game - you're always going on the next game (Win and it'll all be alright)

Doesn't make them wrong and you right. But you have some sort of compulsion to be right, dontcha? Even when it's pointed out by a plethora - you're still right.

They scored because McCarthy - consistently one of our best players - fell asleep at a set-piece and drifted from the far post. That set-piece came about because of a mistake by Coleman, who should have got rid.

They had 10 players in their box for the majority of the second half, yet we still created a load of chances - but our players (like Barkley and Lennon) could not apply the finish.

Ah, at last you see the light, Toff.

There are times our players do indeed need to just "get rid" ;)

BTW.....I disagree that we created a load of chances.

My impression in the ground was that we were creating very little and watching the recordings on TV have cemented that opinion.

Sure we were hitting the woodwork and shots were being deflected all over the place but they were from the edge of the box or outside and I can barely think of one single opening that was carved out and we got someone in on Foster.....maybe that one Rom laid off to Ross near the end excepted.

Ah, at last you see the light, Toff.

There are times our players do indeed need to just "get rid" ;)

BTW.....I disagree that we created a load of chances.

My impression in the ground was that we were creating very little and watching the recordings on TV have cemented that opinion.

Sure we were hitting the woodwork and shots were being deflected all over the place but they were from the edge of the box or outside and I can barely think of one single opening that was carved out and we got someone in on Foster.....maybe that one Rom laid off to Ross near the end excepted.

I think we did create a lot though - although like you said they were restricting us to long range efforts, though Barry in particular and Barkley both got in some good positions near the end and missed the chances.

Pulis is the master of it and he did us. Sometimes you've got to hold your hands up and accept that in a way, even though I do think we could have been a lot more clinical when we did get through.

Disappointing, frustrating, but not the end of the world.

I'm not kneejerking after the weekend, the way we played we deserved the win, we should be sat here now with 3 wins on the bounce.

If he keeps Robles in net I'll be patient, I've seen us get better defensively, I'm positive that's to do with Howard and Stones being dropped, lets see if that continues.

See? Second-guessing why people are getting fed up with martinez (and you, I might add). You're no authority on the mindest of others. Ever thought that martinez might have bought himself a bit more patience from our fans by the last two wins? Ever thought their frustrations have boiled over and their patience ran out because of the course the entire season's taken, and not just on the last game?

No. Why?

Because YOU know best. You KNOW that everyone's fickle - unless they conform to your 'Patience of Job' mindset. Well you can 'koff with your authoritative, passive/aggressive, sneering attitude AFAIC.

People know what they see; and if they don't like it then tough titty if they vent it. So what if they go on the last game - you're always going on the next game (Win and it'll all be alright)

Doesn't make them wrong and you right. But you have some sort of compulsion to be right, dontcha? Even when it's pointed out by a plethora - you're still right.

This thread was silence between the games we won.

EDIT: The Martinez one, apologies.

I'm not kneejerking after the weekend, the way we played we deserved the win, we should be sat here now with 3 wins on the bounce.

If he keeps Robles in net I'll be patient, I've seen us get better defensively, I'm positive that's to do with Howard and Stones being dropped, lets see if that continues.

Think Stones will come back in when he's fit, and rightly so.

Mori is fine but Stones is still first choice for me. He could have well been the player to thread a pass yesterday (think Swansea at home for the two Coleman chances). We had to make do with Jags been our deep-lying playmaker.

Mori is fine but Stones is still first choice for me. He could have well been the player to thread a pass yesterday (think Swansea at home for the two Coleman chances). We had to make do with Jags been our deep-lying playmaker.

Yeah I felt like we missed Stones bringing the ball out and committing an opponent to close him down. He can see a pass too.

There wasnt really any need to have 2 stoppers from the 60th minute as WBA were entrenched in their own half.

Bit confused why we didnt see Baines + Pienaar sub, aswell as the Kone one.

I probably agree, but Mori is no slouch at coming out with the ball, I think he's been fantastic in his first season coming from South American football, in another season he'll be a top CB.

It's just at present playing Stones and Mori together they are too inexperienced, and because Jags was injured, we've suffered from having to play them week in week out this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.