Gibson and Trapp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great player and a great loss to his homeland, Northern Ireland. Love EvertonFC, love Darron for Everton but he got what he deserved when he changed his allegiance, pity he can not return to the fold. Duffy too, but his opt to ROI probably saved his life, so, whilst a shame he also changed allegiance, great to see him still on this world. Would have been two greats for our wee country.

He is/was playing for his homeland. Shane Duffy has also chosen to play for his homeland. ;)

The other bit of your statement that I've highlighted is amongst the biggest load of bollox ever written on here.

Great player and a great loss to his homeland, Northern Ireland. Love EvertonFC, love Darron for Everton but he got what he deserved when he changed his allegiance, pity he can not return to the fold. Duffy too, but his opt to ROI probably saved his life, so, whilst a shame he also changed allegiance, great to see him still on this world. Would have been two greats for our wee country.

You should be banned for life from here for even attempting to stir this up, you know what you are at!

He is/was playing for his homeland. Shane Duffy has also chosen to play for his homeland. ;)

The other bit of your statement that I've highlighted is amongst the biggest load of bollox ever written on here.

Without dragging this conversation to an unpleasant area nor agreeing wholeheartedly with the poster you quoted my issue wouldn't be the representing of the republic more the fact that both Gibson & Duffy represented the North at youth level or several years (I believe) along with several other players such as McClean (who was up to u21 level I think ?). It seems a bit disingenuous to have no political,moral, spiritual, religious or ideological issues in representing and more importantly benefiting from the IFA & it's coaching set up throughout your youth but once you 'make it' in the game to jump ship.

Like I say I'm not trying to be argumentative but I can see where certain followers of the Northern Ireland side would feel 'let down' or just disappointed and I write this without any political/religious bias as I'm of extensive and relatively recent Irish heritage with a soft spot for both sides really.

Without dragging this conversation to an unpleasant area nor agreeing wholeheartedly with the poster you quoted my issue wouldn't be the representing of the republic more the fact that both Gibson & Duffy represented the North at youth level or several years (I believe) along with several other players such as McClean (who was up to u21 level I think ?). It seems a bit disingenuous to have no political,moral, spiritual, religious or ideological issues in representing and more importantly benefiting from the IFA & it's coaching set up throughout your youth but once you 'make it' in the game to jump ship.

Like I say I'm not trying to be argumentative but I can see where certain followers of the Northern Ireland side would feel 'let down' or just disappointed and I write this without any political/religious bias as I'm of extensive and relatively recent Irish heritage with a soft spot for both sides really.

truw would of been easy for giggs to join england and link up with the likes of shearer neville sherringham and co

Wasn't he schoolboy captain for England ?

Edit: however I suspect I've read something that that makes no difference to the senior teams, please ignore me

Yeah, if my nephew moved to nigeria, he'd be eligable to represent nigerian schoolboys (as he'd be in a nigerian school) but not nigeria (assuming he wasn't a citizen).

It's the same with Giggs as a welshman at an enlglish school.

Yeah, if my nephew moved to nigeria, he'd be eligable to represent nigerian schoolboys (as he'd be in a nigerian school) but not nigeria (assuming he wasn't a citizen).

It's the same with Giggs as a welshman at an enlglish school.

I like Sushi, but I'm Shyte at Karate.

Yes of course they are disappointed as the players in question represented them at under age levels.

The poster effectively accused them of betraying their 'homeland', which they didn't as they are now playing for their homeland. It's not the same as say a Welsh or Scottish player opting to play for England; identities are clearly defined in such cases. It's not the same in Ireland.

Yes of course they are disappointed as the players in question represented them at under age levels.

The poster effectively accused them of betraying their 'homeland', which they didn't as they are now playing for their homeland. It's not the same as say a Welsh or Scottish player opting to play for England; identities are clearly defined in such cases. It's not the same in Ireland.

I totally accept your point but like I say when they see McClean play up to u-21 level then 'suddenly' realise that the republic is his 'homeland ' is something that going to make fans upset & emotional.

The lads are entitled to their duel nationality to be honest, there is a huge ethnic and cultural element to it i dont think people get.

Seems less complicated than the Scots winning the medals for team GB and the South Africans and Irish playing cricket for England.

Status
Not open for further replies.