Gibson and Trapp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluerover

Player Valuation: £50m
I have to say I am with Gibbo on this - it was sickening the way he was left on the bench during the Euros particularly given the terrible performances by the team in all three matches.

He pulled out before Saturday's match with WBA, so he probably would not have been fit as things turned out. Trapp is a very stubborn man, and it may mean that Gibbo will be frozen out. Not partcularly bothered as I have really got tired of Trapp, although I normally take huge pride when I see Everton players in the green jersey.

Irish independent today:

SOCCER : GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI says he believes “100 per cent†he retains the support of his players despite the departure Darron Gibson over the weekend from the squad for Ireland’s opening World Cup qualifier in Kazakhstan on Friday on the basis that he remains “disappointed†not to have played in the European Championships in Poland.

“I sense it,†the Italian said fairly emphatically at yesterday’s lively opening press conference of the week.

Asked whether, in the wake of two senior players (Shay Given and Damien Duff) retiring days after he predicted they would stay on, two more (Gibson and Kevin Foley) making themselves unavailable on the basis of a sense of grievance and one (Shane Long, who this weekend said the incident was “forgottenâ€) publicly complaining at having been dropped from the starting eleven in Belgrade, he was, in effect, “losing the dressing roomâ€, the 72-year-old was adamant he is not.

More pointedly, however, he dismissed Gibson’s decision to withdraw from the squad observing that: “If I stayed disappointed after losing a league or a champions league I never would have played football again; we have to get over these situations.â€

Trapattoni said he would continue to monitor Gibson’s form at Everton but added the midfielder needs to “show us that he wants to be with us againâ€. He has called in Sunderland’s David Meyler as a replacement and rather casually suggested that he was happy enough to go with whatever other options he has as long as Gibson is off the scene.

Pressed on whether, in hindsight, he should have done more to guard against losing the player in just this way after failing to use him in any of Ireland’s three European Championship games, Trapattoni replied: “I don’t think so. Do you think [Alex] Ferguson would clarify why he didn’t play Gibson?â€

When it was then put to him that the midfielder might be more important to Ireland than he was to Manchester United, he seemed rather exasperated and, in slightly comic fashion, started muttering in Italian while shaking his head and staring at the floor before looking up and uttering the player’s name several times: “Gibson, Gibson, Gibson . . . A year ago he didn’t play, then he was injured. Do you know how many times I’ve played Gibson? I said he was good and that he could be important but we couldn’t depend on Gibson. He should want to be with Ireland.â€

Having initially sought to be diplomatic about the 24-year-old, it seemed, this came close to being as dismissive as Trapattoni has ever been about a player.

In the end, though, the oddest part of the entire saga is the timing. Gibson, clearly wanting to make his point, told Trapattoni he was withdrawing from the squad on the basis of still being disappointed before Everton’s defeat by West Brom on Saturday but then picked up a thigh strain during the game that would, it seems, have ruled him out of the trip anyway.

But when Trapattoni was asked whether he would have picked the player to start the World Cup qualifier and declined to answer, Marco Tardelli nodded a few feet away, clearly suggesting that he would have been handed only the third competitive international start of his career.

With Keith Andrews and Paul Green known to be unavailable for the game, Gibson must have realised there was a fair chance that was the case and yet he decided to take a stand that is likely to cost him for some time to come.

The Northerner would not come across as the most easy-going, humble or cheerful of characters but it is quite a call to make.

Previously, of course, he had repeatedly insisted that he was better off staying at United than leaving, as Trapattoni had advised he should, to play regular football but ultimately he had to accept defeat on that front.

Trapattoni, in any case, ‘suggested that he simply has to move on, mentioning James McCarthy positively and pointing to the fact that Andrews will be available again for the games against Germany and the Faroe Islands.

Despite his professed confidence that all is well in the camp, however, he must surely be hoping more than ever for a positive result and performance in Astana with which to kick off the new campaign, followed by a period, ideally a lengthy one, of calm on the player front.

I am with Gibbo on this. I will support Gibbo no matter what. Trapattoni is clueless. He should retire after the poor Euro campaign.

the less he plays the less chance he can get injured on international duty, don't really care about the irish to be honest.

Fair enough, but as an Irishman, and under a different management I would love to see Seamus, Darren and (soon) Shane appearing regularly in the green jersey.

I have to say I am with Gibbo on this - it was sickening the way he was left on the bench during the Euros particularly given the terrible performances by the team in all three matches.

He pulled out before Saturday's match with WBA, so he probably would not have been fit as things turned out. Trapp is a very stubborn man, and it may mean that Gibbo will be frozen out. Not partcularly bothered as I have really got tired of Trapp, although I normally take huge pride when I see Everton players in the green jersey.

Irish independent today:

SOCCER : GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI says he believes “100 per cent†he retains the support of his players despite the departure Darron Gibson over the weekend from the squad for Ireland’s opening World Cup qualifier in Kazakhstan on Friday on the basis that he remains “disappointed†not to have played in the European Championships in Poland.

“I sense it,†the Italian said fairly emphatically at yesterday’s lively opening press conference of the week.

Asked whether, in the wake of two senior players (Shay Given and Damien Duff) retiring days after he predicted they would stay on, two more (Gibson and Kevin Foley) making themselves unavailable on the basis of a sense of grievance and one (Shane Long, who this weekend said the incident was “forgottenâ€) publicly complaining at having been dropped from the starting eleven in Belgrade, he was, in effect, “losing the dressing roomâ€, the 72-year-old was adamant he is not.

More pointedly, however, he dismissed Gibson’s decision to withdraw from the squad observing that: “If I stayed disappointed after losing a league or a champions league I never would have played football again; we have to get over these situations.â€

Trapattoni said he would continue to monitor Gibson’s form at Everton but added the midfielder needs to “show us that he wants to be with us againâ€. He has called in Sunderland’s David Meyler as a replacement and rather casually suggested that he was happy enough to go with whatever other options he has as long as Gibson is off the scene.

Pressed on whether, in hindsight, he should have done more to guard against losing the player in just this way after failing to use him in any of Ireland’s three European Championship games, Trapattoni replied: “I don’t think so. Do you think [Alex] Ferguson would clarify why he didn’t play Gibson?â€

When it was then put to him that the midfielder might be more important to Ireland than he was to Manchester United, he seemed rather exasperated and, in slightly comic fashion, started muttering in Italian while shaking his head and staring at the floor before looking up and uttering the player’s name several times: “Gibson, Gibson, Gibson . . . A year ago he didn’t play, then he was injured. Do you know how many times I’ve played Gibson? I said he was good and that he could be important but we couldn’t depend on Gibson. He should want to be with Ireland.â€

Having initially sought to be diplomatic about the 24-year-old, it seemed, this came close to being as dismissive as Trapattoni has ever been about a player.

In the end, though, the oddest part of the entire saga is the timing. Gibson, clearly wanting to make his point, told Trapattoni he was withdrawing from the squad on the basis of still being disappointed before Everton’s defeat by West Brom on Saturday but then picked up a thigh strain during the game that would, it seems, have ruled him out of the trip anyway.

But when Trapattoni was asked whether he would have picked the player to start the World Cup qualifier and declined to answer, Marco Tardelli nodded a few feet away, clearly suggesting that he would have been handed only the third competitive international start of his career.

With Keith Andrews and Paul Green known to be unavailable for the game, Gibson must have realised there was a fair chance that was the case and yet he decided to take a stand that is likely to cost him for some time to come.

The Northerner would not come across as the most easy-going, humble or cheerful of characters but it is quite a call to make.

Previously, of course, he had repeatedly insisted that he was better off staying at United than leaving, as Trapattoni had advised he should, to play regular football but ultimately he had to accept defeat on that front.

Trapattoni, in any case, ‘suggested that he simply has to move on, mentioning James McCarthy positively and pointing to the fact that Andrews will be available again for the games against Germany and the Faroe Islands.

Despite his professed confidence that all is well in the camp, however, he must surely be hoping more than ever for a positive result and performance in Astana with which to kick off the new campaign, followed by a period, ideally a lengthy one, of calm on the player front.

This guy has actually lost his marbles. Some of his comments and decisions are outrageous. I highlighted this particular quote because Sir Alex Ferguson chose not to play Gibson because he had world class replacements. Ireland have replaced him with the likes of Keith Andrews and Paul Green. I think Ireland should sack him and move on, he has clearly lost it.

Another example of a ridiculous statement he came out with is that if he changed the team for the Italy game he could get accused of favouring italy? How weak a manager do you have to be to not select a player based on something like that. He's a joke.

Fair enough, but as an Irishman, and under a different management I would love to see Seamus, Darren and (soon) Shane appearing regularly in the green jersey.

Yeah don't get me wrong i like seeing our lads playing international football but with such a thin squad i do get nervous when internationals are on for injuries.

Trapattoni managed to get a piss poor Irish team to the euros with the worst midfield i can ever remember. Yes gibson should have been playing. He is better than any of the lot that are being picked and (prior to saturdays injury) this was his chance to show it.

trap doesnt have a clue i dont think, surprised he's still there anyway.
going completely off subject here but i have always felt that every single international team should have a manager from that country. and any irish man would put him in the starting line up

Trapattoni managed to get a piss poor Irish team to the euros with the worst midfield i can ever remember. Yes gibson should have been playing. He is better than any of the lot that are being picked and (prior to saturdays injury) this was his chance to show it.

He proved he was the best Irish CM from the moment we signed him in January. His performances were head and shoulders above Keith Andrews, Glen Whelan and Paul Green or whatever his name is.

I understand Gibson's stance , and I don't think Trap is the best man manager out there , and that his philosophy on how football is seriously dated and doesn't work anymore , I fear for us big time in this upcoming qualifying campaign , it's the first decent qualifying group Trap will have found himself in .

The only thing I will say against Gibson is pre euro's he was given a start against Bosnia in a friendly and in my opinion put in an awful display at the worst time possible , that was the game he needed to stake a real claim , but to be still overlooked for game time by Paul Green beggars belief .

Us qualifying for the euro's was not down to Trapps tactical genius believe me, we were in a poor group to begin with but we got every slice of luck going and then capped by getting the handy draw in the playoffs - everyone saw how shockingly bad we were at the euro's with that stubborn [Poor language removed] unwilling to change his system or players 'who got him there' - dunne, o'shea and given weren't even fit -- then the geniuses at the FAI decide to give him a contract extension before the tournament starts, I dont blame gibson and especially Foley telling him to get f*cked, if a couple more followed suit then we might get him ousted, I know it'll mess up our world cup campaign but it would be worth it to have to suffer through Trapps mind boggling player selections, systems and yawnfest games...

anyhow rant over, the dubs lost yesterday too so am in a doubly foul humour, living in Donegal doesn't help matters either

Trap's man-management skills are piss poor at best. You mean to tell me that Whelan, Walters, Andrews, McCarthy etc. are better than Gibbo? Go back to Turin you whopper

Status
Not open for further replies.