Gibson and Trapp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, if my nephew moved to nigeria, he'd be eligable to represent nigerian schoolboys (as he'd be in a nigerian school) but not nigeria (assuming he wasn't a citizen).

It's the same with Giggs as a welshman at an enlglish school.

i'm pretty sure giggs was eligible to be picked for england but chose wales. I think one of his parents is english and one welsh i could be wrong though.

i'm pretty sure giggs was eligible to be picked for england but chose wales. I think one of his parents is english and one welsh i could be wrong though.

I'm not sure on that mate, I think it's a popular 'misnomer' although I could be wrong

The lads are entitled to their duel nationality to be honest, there is a huge ethnic and cultural element to it i dont think people get.

Seems less complicated than the Scots winning the medals for team GB and the South Africans and Irish playing cricket for England.

I absolutely get it mate and I'm not comparing it, I just mean its a 'pity' the variety of reasons (and many of us can identify the main ones easily enough & i can find them 'understandable' or at least see where their coming from) that lead to them declaring their 'loyalty' don't kick in throughout their schoolboy and u-18 or even u-21 footballing career so I can see why those from the north get frustrated

I'm not sure on that mate, I think it's a popular 'misnomer' although I could be wrong

I absolutely get it mate and I'm not comparing it, I just mean its a 'pity' the variety of reasons (and many of us can identify the main ones easily enough & i can find them 'understandable' or at least see where their coming from) that lead to them declaring their 'loyalty' don't kick in throughout their schoolboy and u-18 or even u-21 footballing career so I can see why those from the north get frustrated

Thats a great point mate its very divisive, as Derry lads the likes of Gibson, McClean and Duffy were always going to play for the Republic, but had to play for the North at under age level - its an awful and even perhaps dangerous positition to put people in depending on there ethnic origan and where they live. Even in the microcosm of regions that make up N Ireland its a complex issue. For instance any lad from Derry who declared for the North over the Rep. would be likely to get grief if they made that choice, while Jonny Evans from Belfast would get grief if he didnt play for the North over the Rep. being from Belfast.

TBH i think it would be brilliant for both if we just did it like Rugby and just had an Irish international team. Cant see it happening though to many palms being greased - these days.

I totally accept your point but like I say when they see McClean play up to u-21 level then 'suddenly' realise that the republic is his 'homeland ' is something that going to make fans upset & emotional.

Ah well they got Alex Bruce to switch allegience so I'm sure they'll be delighted....

Gibson didn't play for NI youth teams. I believe he played for the schoolboy side as he had to because he went to school there. He has been playing for Ireland since 2003 when he was still 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.