6 + 2 Point Deductions

Cheers @DuncansPigeons - very insightful.

Having read the whole submission the conclusion seemingly reached is that the PL committee/commission has, essentially, driven a coach and horses through the entire legal and jurisdictional process. They have adopted what clearly is a somewhat partisan stance as indicated by a lack of impartiality and with their own ulterior motives to the fore ie the preservation of their own autonomy given the threat of a new Independent Commission being brought in as a governance body to replace the current and corrupt 'old boys' network.

If the PL commission looking into Everton's mishandling of the PSR had adopted a more lenient stance and penalised us 5 points or less then I think we would have taken it on the chin and walked away. By imposition of the grossly unfair and wholly unsustainable penalty imposed - and with a second potential one hanging over the Club - the PL have, I suspect, created a monster of their own making and hastened their own demise as a governance body. The sooner the better, as well.

Im not trying to prove any point, I was honestly just curious what other people feel is a "fair" punishment.
No punishment at all is the only fair outcome. They are literally planning to update their Jurassic rules imminently so no club should be punished on rules that they themselves deem to be out of date and not fit for purpose. Everything should be put on hold until the new rules are in place and then go from there. That is the only fair way forward. You cannot have fairness if you have one set of rules for 18 teams and a different set of rules for 2.

Im not trying to prove any point, I was honestly just curious what other people feel is a "fair" punishment.
yes we broke the rules. But the rules are not fit for purpose, as shown by the fact there are multiple clubs including the likes of Arsenal etc, who now can’t spend etc. the fact they are looking to massively change the rules due to them being unfit for purpose, should mean that no club gets punished for breaching them.

And as a first breach, 10 points is far from fair. If a points deduction was needed then 3-5 at most. But actually, for me, fining the owner shouldn’t be ruled out because of their wealth. That money could be used to support lower league/grass roots etc.

Cheers @DuncansPigeons - very insightful.

Having read the whole submission the conclusion seemingly reached is that the PL committee/commission has, essentially, driven a coach and horses through the entire legal and jurisdictional process. They have adopted what clearly is a somewhat partisan stance as indicated by a lack of impartiality and with their own ulterior motives to the fore ie the preservation of their own autonomy given the threat of a new Independent Commission being brought in as a governance body to replace the current and corrupt 'old boys' network.

If the PL commission looking into Everton's mishandling of the PSR had adopted a more lenient stance and penalised us 5 points or less then I think we would have taken it on the chin and walked away. By imposition of the grossly unfair and wholly unsustainable penalty imposed - and with a second potential one hanging over the Club - the PL have, I suspect, created a monster of their own making and hastened their own demise as a governance body. The sooner the better, as well.
It’s been said by anyone with a smattering of legal knowledge. If this was a court of law, proper arbitration or the act of a true regulator , the PL case would have been laughed out.

yes we broke the rules. But the rules are not fit for purpose, as shown by the fact there are multiple clubs including the likes of Arsenal etc, who now can’t spend etc. the fact they are looking to massively change the rules due to them being unfit for purpose, should mean that no club gets punished for breaching them.

And as a first breach, 10 points is far from fair. If a points deduction was needed then 3-5 at most. But actually, for me, fining the owner shouldn’t be ruled out because of their wealth. That money could be used to support lower league/grass roots etc.
The issue with fining the owner is it would give carte blanche to Newcastle to spend whatever they want as money is no object to their owners.

The issue with fining the owner is it would give carte blanche to Newcastle to spend whatever they want as money is no object to their owners.
The other issue is that our owner has no ability to move money around within the UK banking structure due to sanctions so they are going to be waiting a long time for their money.

The issue with fining the owner is it would give carte blanche to Newcastle to spend whatever they want as money is no object to their owner
Which is why the ONLY fair system is an annual budget cap for each season.

Obviously some teams are already spending hundreds of millions a year on wages it would take a few years to get down to say..... 250m a season (wages and transfers!) but it would be a far more competitive league.

If UEFA had the balls they'd do the same and apply it accross UEFA. It would bring about a far more competitive Champions league.

If they had even BIGGER balls they'd go back to straight, unseeded knockouts. Every game counts as there's jeopardy involved and they'd solve a big part of the calender congestion.

Infact, make me head of UEFA. Problem solved.

Obviously some teams are already spending hundreds of millions a year on wages it would take a few years to get down to say..... 250m a season (wages and transfers!) but it would be a far more competitive league.

If UEFA had the balls they'd do the same and apply it accross UEFA. It would bring about a far more competitive Champions league.

If they had even BIGGER balls they'd go back to straight, unseeded knockouts. Every game counts as there's jeopardy involved and they'd solve a big part of the calender congestion.

They don't want this unfortunately

Would be nice, but the major problem is countries like Saudi would just swoop in and take everyone, teams are able to pay massive wages in europe so most players aren't swayed by the Saudi/Chinese league etc, take that away and most people would just go there.

So what? Why is everyone trying to limit how much clubs can spend at a completely arbitrary point in history. If they do so they need to enable a level playing field in some other way by revenue redistribution or salary caps etc because it distorts the entire competition.