2023/24 Sean Dyche

We could do with someone who can carry the ball from midfield. McNeil and Harrison might be decent from a defensive point of view but they aren't the answer going forward imo, there is a lot of wasted balls from both.
I was thinking in terms of cover for Garner and Onana. The squad is very thin in Central Midfield, Centre Half as well, in fact a number of positions.

I was thinking in terms of cover for Garner and Onana. The squad is very thin in Central Midfield, Centre Half as well, in fact a number of positions.
We just need options, both of those players are still young and can go missing at times also we need to be realistic and understand if we can really keep the likes of Onana and Branthwaite if big offers start coming in due to our perilous finances.

Anyone else getting anxiety from the thought that if dyche wins the league cup, he will become one of our most successful managers and the most successful in the last 30 years?
Mixed reactions to this. It's great you even think it could happen, but confused how that would be something to be worried about. It would be amazing. We're only through to the quarters if we won the damn thing all credit would be due especially if it's alongside a season we aren't fighting relegation.

We could do with someone who can carry the ball from midfield. McNeil and Harrison might be decent from a defensive point of view but they aren't the answer going forward imo, there is a lot of wasted balls from both.

Was looking at Kudus at the weekend, though he didn't get much purchase you could see the talent, someone of a similar technical skill set would be ideal, we defo need a 10 of that - or some sort. Also could do with someone who can stand on the ball

Was looking at Kudus at the weekend, though he didn't get much purchase you could see the talent, someone of a similar technical skill set would be ideal, we defo need a 10 of that - or some sort. Also could do with someone who can stand on the ball

Thought he was very good myself, seemed to be coming far too deep to pick the ball up in that West Ham team though (although maybe we forced that). Would happily have him here instead of Doucoure if he’s also willing to put in the work off the ball.

Dyche is a safety first manager.

That is absolutely fine for our current situation .

However if ultimately we want to see a progressive , attacking team Dyche isn't your man.
He might be our man you can't say that he isnt as he has never worked with a true quality attacking squad of players from what i can see. Its always had to be safety football with his squads.
At some point in time any managers progression is thwarted by lack of investment in the squad or constantly selling your best players and not reinvesting. There is a ceiling that inthink only Leicter have ever broken, and now look at them. I think Dyche is doing a great job steadying this Everton ship and he probably has our squad working towards a mid table finish IMO. Hes not going to make us an attacking revelation without a really good recruitment stratergy and some different players. We have shown over the course of many years that recruitment strategy is not our thing and we are limited by that.
I mean a good example is David Moyes' reign....was he limited as a manager or are Everton FC limiting him. I would say that it is EFC that are limiting our managers and currently mid table would be a fantastic achievement until things change within the club finacially and strategy wise.

Thought he was very good myself, seemed to be coming far too deep to pick the ball up in that West Ham team though (although maybe we forced that). Would happily have him here instead of Doucoure if he’s also willing to put in the work off the ball.

I thought he was good, but we were expecting him and we battered him mate, but he kept coming and wed lump him or give him no space to work in or get a head of speed up- he was game. Hes adapting and going to be very good when he does, you can see he's a big talent.

The Duke will have a role for sure in my opinion mate - hes gold dust at this stage and influential, but we do need variance. If we keep what we have - your adding a playmaker of some sort into that advanced midfield role (and a couple of full backs). Teams will cotton on about our directness eventually and counter - (though stopping it is a different thing), so you need that variance as an option in that role eventually.

Last edited:
Can’t say I’ll ever be over enamoured with his style and some of his subs and team selections drive me crackers, but no one can deny he’s made us a better, more organised and fitter looking outfit.

Has he evolved at all in his complete managerial career?

Admittedly I've not followed it avidly but he always seems to set teams up in a very pragmatic, must not lose , fashion rather than trying to attack.

That's fine you know what you get with him.

Needs must at the moment but I can't say I enjoy his brand of football.
I think Lampard (and a few others) tried to play a different brand of football with this almost identical squad of players. How did that pan out on the eye?